Bizarre Watersports ;)

Home Forums Floating & Flying – Discussion Bizarre Watersports ;)

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Over the last few weeks I have developed a hankerin for an RC boat. This is weird, because generally, not a huge water fan. With a budget of ~au$50 where should I start? Micro with mods… Bigger with mods, or crazy large and pretty much stock. Is proportionality (is this a real word?) that important, or will an icecream container with a tinracer board slapped in it be as much fun? It will prolly sit in it s box 95% of the time and the rest will be spent being driven (captained?) by me and my mates while drunk and camping. Any tips OTP/jamie/boat-heads?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Well, i’ve never seen an R/C icecream bucket!!

$50 is fairly low budget for a boat, my boat is using recycled gear, with about $75 extra stuff, so the final price for the complete thing would be around $220.

an icecream bucket probably wouldnt steer very well at all, and would have too much drag….i hope you were joking when you said that anyway….

Proportional ain’t that important, many boats have a one speed only throttle…..its not like you can break traction and spin a boat out!!

Propo steering obviously has its benefits…..you could roll a boat at full throttle if you only have non propo steering.

One rule of thumb i go by is….don’t use your r/c when you are drunk…..usually your out somewhere when getting hammered and the R/Cs stay home.

With your budget in mind…..go for a mini or micro boat.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant
      Quote:
      Proportional ain’t that important, many boats have a one speed only throttle…..its not like you can break traction and spin a boat out!!

Propo steering obviously has its benefits…..you could roll a boat at full throttle if you only have non propo steering.

Actually, you can spin a boat. 1:1 tunnel hulls (some times refered to as Formula 1 powerboats) do so a lot. It’s mostly a result of too much steering rather than too much throttle though. But, yes, many of the most powerful R/C boats use no more than an on/off switch for throttle because it’s a lot cheaper than a 28cell ESC.

You really have to tell us what kind of boat you want (ship, scale, sailing, racing etc), where you wish to use it, and go from there.

If you check out my VACII on my site, I’ve only spent $10 so far. The Arno XI plans will be made available at WGu once the model is tested. There may even be a prize for the best interpretation 😉

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      Actually, you can spin a boat. 1:1 tunnel hulls (some times refered to as Formula 1 powerboats) do so a lot. It’s mostly a result of too much steering rather than too much throttle though.

What i meant was if you had steering that was non propo (full lock or nothing) and non propo throttle (full noise or nothing) spinning a boat would probably happen alot more.

Listen to OTP, hes the boat man.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I guess what i am after is the tinracer of boats. Idiot-proof, tinker-able, and cheap.

ill_race_ya
      Participant

hey, about the bout. my friend made a boat shaped like a catamaran from bolser wodd with surfboard foam for floats. he has 2 plane motors with propellors on the back for power and to steer, he has a servo that conects a switch to either of the motors. so to turn right, the left motor turns of and the right one turns on. his boat is faster than any of the “real” boats at our nearest club and it was only a fraction of the cost

merc-blue
      Participant

LEARN TO SPELL BUDDY

Edited by – merc-blue on 03 July 2004 17:41:43

betty.k
      Participant

this can’t go without comment!

bout
      bolser
      wodd
      propellor
      conect
      of

=

boat
      balsa
      wood
      propeller
      connect
      off

fer christ’s sake man!! there are too many ways to edit these messages!! learn howda spell real good!:8ball:

TallduDe
      Participant

my eyes hurt trying to read these posts :question:

i know you guys got stuff to say but really what the hell are you trying to say?

btw look up ebay there are a whole heap of cheap rc boats which dont look half bad.

cheapest ive seen are these and there easy to use maybe even to hop up

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2564&item=5907437884&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2564&item=5906463921&rd=1

eFB0095.jpg

that pic is from the first boat look at the room inside that bad boy heaps of potential to put bigger motors and better electronics

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh they are 380 size motors it looks like.. you can get brushless at that size … HEHEHEHE

ill_race_ya
      Participant

hey man. not my fault i’m stupid

ill_race_ya
      Participant

i just suck at tryin to type fast

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Have you got Tin racer electronics handy? If you can build a balsa structure yourself, then it should cost practically nothing. Otherwise look in the toy section for non-R/C plastic boats that can be modded. There are heaps out there, I haven’t bought any myself because none meet my scale/ realism criteria, and if I have to do more than a tiny bit of re-working, may as well start from scratch.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

ill_race_ya, i’m guessing you are a 12 y.o. kid, right??

Try S L O W I N G down when you type.

Balsa wood is very cheap, and fairly easy to work with (you have probably used it more than me!)

I’m not sure what glue is the best to use.

I’ve hade good results with CA, balsa cement is a tad weak.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh get a good CA .. like FLASH i use either thin or med. depending on the jub thin is great but need a micro droper and very steady hands and ur peaices have to be cut really well

betty.k
      Participant

we need an interpreter for this topic:8ball:

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

My next big warship is going to be mostly built with PVA glue.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Oh yes, PVA is bloody strong stuff……

but I was thinking that water or moisture might weaken it as I believe it is water based……OTP slap me if i’m wrong…

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

As long as you paint your boat and let it dry after a days sailing, it’s fine. Wouldn’t use it on a 1:1 boat, but for our perposes it’s strong, non toxic and easy to work with.

Apparently you can get waterproof PVA now.

ill_race_ya
      Participant

aw, u think i’m twelve. dammit.i’m 15 and i’m actually in top english classes so i’m not that stupid

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

WTF what school do u goto??

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Ghetto High?
      Any way, I think I have killed the knock off of Trent’s tank I was building, so that can go on hold and i can throw my self at this project.
      I was thinking of a basic paddle-steamer maybe, either direct drive or using a tamiya twin motor gearbox, to run the paddles.

betty.k
      Participant

i like the paddle steamer idea! you can even put one of those mini foggers in it!:8ball:

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.