Bodies Made of Balsa Wood?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      titaniumonkey
      Participant

I was just thinking… (since I saw a thing where people made paper bodies for their bits)… Is it possible to use Balsa instead? Stronger than paper and lighter than plastic…:D

trash
      Participant

can’t see why not. Balsa is in the “hard wood” catagory. yeah, I know… it doesn’t feel like that.
      Balsa is a bit like fibre glass. Add a good resin or dope to it and it is like concrete. I’ve seen balsawood planes collide with gum trees and the tree trunk came off second best !
      If you want a REALLY cool idea for making bodies…. try this ………..

Start with a block of candle wax.
      Carve it down to exactly how you want it to look,
      OR
      take an existing shell you want to modify and
      push it into soft play dough and pull it out, then melt the candle wax into it. Vola ! you have a wax
      template.

step 2. Take your wax ‘positive’ and mix up some plaster of paris. Place the wax model into it, but don’t submerg it.
      Let the plaster set, when it is done, use a hot air gun, or hair drier or flame to melt out the wax.

you now have a ‘negative’.

Now you can use this as a mould for the shell itself.
      You want to make sure your shell isn’t going to stick to the mould. use something like graphite, vasoline etc.

The material you use can be epoxy glue or fibreglass resin, with or without the fibre glass.

Pour it into the mould and add some sort of tag/handle that you can use to pull the shell out of the mould.

If you can’t pull the shell out, you will have to break the mould and your shell will turely be one of a kind.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

wow, a nice idea… I also saw some people make bodies out of paper… pretty wierd, huh? It looks pretty cool though…

z-beam
      Participant

balsa cars would work nicly, cool idea.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I saw a thread on another forum where they quoted a site that has paper bodies that you could print out for your car… Would provide great crash damage….and when its all beat up, have a quick pitstop and print out a new body!!!

titaniumonkey
      Participant

I found a site… here’s the link:
      http://www2.nkansai.ne.jp/shop/first/pcraft/t-models.html#car
      all of them need resizing. the best part is you can use the paint function on your computer to change the colours and stuff. Just wanted to pass that along…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.