bodymod experiment.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

the final frontier…..never done this stuff before so I ve
      got no clues first of all! Mercblue had originally brought up
      this idea so I thought why not give it a shot.

Using a product known as blue-tac (a sort of putty/sticky stuff
      that can pin up posters) with normal superglue I ve been able
      to create extra parts on the car s shell.

First of all you shape the bluetac as you want and then stick it to the shell.
      I like to then flatten the blue-tac by pushing a flat surface against it just
      to make it look straight.

body1.jpg

Here I ve extended the shell down by a few millimeters. I then coat it in
      super glue and let it dry. After about a further 10minutes I give it another coat.

Letting that sit to dry for an hour makes the glue hard enough to be able to sand.
      I use 600 grade wet-n-dry sandpaper to then cut it back and smoothen the glue coat out.

That s about it, the surface is then all ready to paint.

Here are some shots of a gloria I m working this technique on.

body2.jpg
      body3.jpg
      body4.jpg

In this last shot below you can see in the foreground that
      I ve put an extra layer of blue-tac on. I do this because it is hard
      to be able to put a lot of blue-tac on in one go. Layering it
      gives it strength and stability. I will sand it afterwards to ensure you can t
      see the joins between layers, hopefully!

body5.jpg

ph2t.

Participant

is it possible to use a glue other than super glue…such as white glue or something?

Edited by – titaniumonkey on 29 October 2003 12:17:16

Participant

I don’t think white glue would cut it dude. The superglue is a plastic cement so it produces a hard exterior which sands well.

ph2t.

Participant

…ph2t basically you are using a backyard version of Tamiya’s epoxy putty…i like your system though…the ADVANTAGE of putty though is that it is able to be modelled / cut / pressed while it is still soft…The DISADVANTAGE of it might be cost / drying out when not in use and availablity…

I like the blu-tak idea though…very well done…just make sure you dont stick your fingers together 🙂

Participant

nice work man.

Participant

thanks for the comments guys..:)

unfortunately I have stuck my fingers a few times today, ouch!

I’ve added some more blu-tac onto the shell, check the clearance now, yeah!

body6.jpg

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 29 October 2003 13:40:01

Participant

very nice. BTW, why isn’t blutak blue? I thought it would be blue because of the name. Also, I saw a blue clay-like thing for posing pictures on walls and basically sticking one thing to another think.(example:having keys stuck to table, needles stuck to top of a box, etc) Will that work?

Participant

very cool ph2t, i especially like the front spoiler.

Participant

thanks dude, I had accomplished more than what I showed you last night…

ph2t.

Participant

Participant

ahhh, i forgot about that thread hich. Have you done your body kits yet???

congrats on your first star too.

Participant

Very subtle HiCH. Your modesty amazes me, well done.
      Now, back on topic…..

Question, …..
      Ph2t does the super glue “cure” the blutack and make it go hard, or does it dry in a skin over the top, and stays soft inside?

BTW, Titaniumonkey, blutack IS light blue, just these pics dont show the true color, or perhaps the super glue causes a slight color change.

:)uA

Participant

just thought i’d advertise this product, its brand is Revell and the stuff’s called “PLASTO”, anyone else tried it ? its a 25 ml squeeze tube and i got mine from toyworld for $5.50 aus.think i got ripped off though,lol. i works great though, sets rock hard then i used a layer of super glue to make it look neat, then sand it then paint it.its used for all those nasty X-acto cuts in your model body shell.

Participant
      Quote:
      Question, …..
      Ph2t does the super glue “cure” the blutack and make it go hard, or does it dry in a skin over the top, and stays soft inside?

The glue coats the bluetac and creates a solid outer shell. It might permeate the skin of the bluetac a bit, but not much I’d say. For longer extensions I’ve been laying coiled sections down one at a time. The buildup of glue as I lay each section down helps in holding it all together. I want to let it cure for a few days just to be sure before sanding down again.

ph2t.

Participant

Yeah NSR I have the same revell stuff and it works great. You have to work quick because the outside sets fairly quick. But I don’t think you got ripped off – I paid about $8 for my tube of it :angry:

Participant

i tried this for some fun and it works kool, it is cleaner and easier to work with than putty.

brendan12362253095605C0B0D.jpg

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.