Booster cars – question and problem

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      DaveF
      Participant

I got the wife a booster car for Xmas (Auto Modelista set). I want to know if when the boost button isn’t held down if it’s the controller that sends pulse signals to the car making it go half speed, or if the car only gives the engine half power (voltage I assume) until the button is pressed?

The reason I want to know is… The car ran nicely until she tripped over the dog while charging it up. now when she’s not in boost mode, the car doesn’t run at 1/2 power/speed, it’s more like 1/8 power/speed. Does anyone know which component governs the choked speed on a booster car?

Admin
      Participant

Got no idea but i found with mine that with the booster button on it goes Faster that a standed 2.2 and with the boost off i could still control it on slipper surrfaces maybey wires are crossed or something

Admin
      Participant

theres a resister. look there should be 2 paths to the motor f on the pcb trace 1 and it should have a resister. not shure of the rateing on it im tryin out diff combos on my custom 2 speed bit so far red red gold gold is the best but im gonna try some more

DaveF
      Participant

Can you get me a photo of the board, and highlight/trace the path for me please? Actually, that’d be a good thing to have on this site, as it’s one of the best technical Bit sites.

I suppose I may need to just resolder the resister. Might check the resister with the fairlady booster too, they may be different.

GT-ahh
      Participant

red red gold gold is…2.2 ohms 5% i think… any value up to about 5 Ohms is useable….what u could always do is put in a variable resistor so u can change the speed as per track…

DaveF
      Participant

Now there is a top mod. A small pot in place of the resister on a booster car. Any tech heads tuning in here and keen to fully document the steps with photos?? Derek… Aaron… Anyone??

micro_Amps
      Participant

Sounds pretty easy to me. Does anybody know if the circuit diagrams for the car circuit boards are on the net?? I’ve seen thestandard controller schematics, but i would like a booster controller diagram and a ‘standard’ and ‘booster’ car diagrams. After that anything is possible

Tanks uA

DaveF
      Participant

You would need a booster car diagram also from my understanding, although I’m told some RC cars utilise a pulse from the controler in varying frequency (confusing term, but here I mean frequency as it related to number of occurrances) to vary speed in the car. Less pulses, slower car. I don’t know if that’s how the Bits work, and from discussio9ns with other people it sounds more like there a resister in the car which limits the power to the motor if the button isn’t pressed on the controller.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yeah, I wantto put a controller on a CRO (oscilliscope) and see what actually changes when the controls are activated. I also want to see exactly what controls the strength of the signal output. The supply voltage would play a major part in Tx strengthand thats why (I think) that nicads are useless because your starting with only 2.4 volts when fully charged.That is the equivilentof 2 flat duracells :-(. I am still waiting for my 350Z booster to arrive in the post then I’ll get to work on Tx signal manipulation from control functions and booster sw. I also want to mod my 4B controller to include the other 2 frequencies (40 & 49 MHz) so it becomes a 6B comtroller and the only one I need to control all my cars, so long as I can get a decent signal output increase first. I am also putting together ideas for a BCG dyno. I want to see which motors actually put out the most power/highest revs, using the same gear sets so I can compare apples to apples

The thing that is still a mystery to me (and the hardest to work on without a circuit diagram) is the car pcb. Any ideas where I could get a schematic from.

P.S. Bought a compact S2K today, 40MHz, range is about 8 meters (inside house ran out of room)straight out of the box and it still has its cripple cap on the car pcb….not too shabby. Outside about 10 meters and was still going. Bull ant road toll is climbing steadily

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.