boosters

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

i’m thinking of getting a 4ch booster controller, and a booster car, which frequency does everyone think is the best?, and have any of you had problems with yours?

Admin
      Participant

The booster controller has quite a bad range, but its very useful while racing. The Frequency doesn’t effect the car in any way, they are only different since some people mite want to race with each other/they can interupt with other things/some countries have banned certain frequencies.

I personally would get a normal Bit Char-G instead, can be cheaper and it has a better range, oh and the 4 ch takes AAA where as the normal takes AA, I prefer AA. I would get a booster if I raced with people alot, but I dont.

=)

Admin
      Participant

I would sort of disagree with Caine and say the booster is no better then astandardBit Char-G at racing. Why? Let me explain how the booster works – it doesn’t actually give your car a boost like you would expect it to. For example, I would have expected that it would push your motor to the max for the boost, so if you were racing a 3.0 motor standard Bit against your 3.0 booster Bit – the booster should win – but thats not how it works. Instead, it lowers the RPM of your motor to a much slower speed e.g. put a 3.0 in a booster and it lowers it to 1.0 (approx) then when you press the boost button it knocks the RPM back up to max, which in this case is 3.0. Now this is good if your racing somebody who’s got a motor less then 3.0, but if they have a 3.0 or even a 2.6 at constant speed – they are gonna win the race unless you’ve got your finger constantly on the boost button – and whats the point in that? I’ve not tried a 1.0 motor in a booster machine but it must be dog slow without the boost button (as I said, it lowers the RPM of the motor)!

Frequencies don’t really matter, know one frequency is better then the other. Its a common mistake that people think the higher the frequency the faster the car will go – not true. Makes no difference. The only time you need to worry about the frequency is when your racing. For example, if your friend has a 27MHz car then you want to make sure you get another frequency other then 27MHz, say 35MHz for example. Like Caine says, some countries have laws against the use of some frequencies but I wouldn’t worry too much. The range is so small on these that your not going to be intercepting ambulance calls or controlling planes and so on!!

I’ve had no problems with my two booster sets. To be honest I never really bought them for the boost function. I had bought two body shells and wanted two chassis for them, so I bought two boosters. As Caine has already said, the 4band controller range is really bad – but you have to make do with it or mod it if you want to control boosters – standard controllers don’t work. I don’t see AAA batteries as a disadvantage in my opinion, if anything its slightly better having AAA batteries as they are lighter and smaller.

Hope this helps!? You can find out loads more information on my site – see link below in signature (click banner).

Admin
      Participant

Ummm just to clarify the 4 Channel Controller takes AA batteries NOT AAA.

Trueno
      Participant

My two cents worth

I like the booster controller as it is easier to use. It fits in you hands better than the normal ones. My wife prefers it too and reckons her fingers don’t get sore with it. I don’t know why but my booster GTR and Auto Modellista Set seem to go really well. The range with my 57MHz booster isn’t too bad.

Oh yeah, definately AA.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by Chris_Flowers on 04November2002

I would sort of disagree with Caine and say the booster is no better then astandardBit Char-G at racing. Why? Let me explain how the booster works – it doesn’t actually give your car a boost like you would expect it to. For example, I would have expected that it would push your motor to the max for the boost, so if you were racing a 3.0 motor standard Bit against your 3.0 booster Bit – the booster should win – but thats not how it works. Instead, it lowers the RPM of your motor to a much slower speed e.g. put a 3.0 in a booster and it lowers it to 1.0 (approx) then when you press the boost button it knocks the RPM back up to max, which in this case is 3.0. Now this is good if your racing somebody who’s got a motor less then 3.0, but if they have a 3.0 or even a 2.6 at constant speed – they are gonna win the race unless you’ve got your finger constantly on the boost button – and whats the point in that? I’ve not tried a 1.0 motor in a booster machine but it must be dog slow without the boost button (as I said, it lowers the RPM of the motor)!

Umm… have you *raced* a Booster car, Chris?

With the button pressed, somehow the Booster 350Z runs faster than a standard car using same 2.2 motor & gearing.

Nobody knows why…

Admin
      Participant

Booster is great for corners where you can corner a 2.6 better at 10000rpm than you can at 26000, then get back on the boost 🙂

That’s what I like about it. With the 1.0 and 1.6 there is no great advantage and as Chris pointed out (I think he’s talking straight line), a non-booster will come off the line a bit faster.

That or I’m driving them wrong 😀

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by Barrelll on 04November2002

Ummm just to clarify the 4 Channel Controller takes AA batteries NOT AAA.

Yeah my bad. I hardly ever use it because it has such a poor range. Definitely AA.

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by PandaBear on 04November2002

Umm… have you *raced* a Booster car, Chris?

With the button pressed, somehow the Booster 350Z runs faster than a standard car using same 2.2 motor & gearing.

Nobody knows why…

Of course I have! I’ve only raced the standard booster machine sets though, I’m awaiting my 350z to arrive – so I can’t comment on that. But I’ve raced a booster with same specs against a standard and both will have the same top speed.

It would have been nice if the boost button did actually give your car a boost over the motors quoted RPM. I don’t suppose its possible though!? Is it!? Can a 3.0 motor at top speed be pushed further?

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by Setanta on 04November2002

Booster is great for corners where you can corner a 2.6 better at 10000rpm than you can at 26000, then get back on the boost 🙂

That’s a solid point there about the cornering.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:

It would have been nice if the boost button did actually give your car a boost over the motors quoted RPM. I don’t suppose its possible though!? Is it!? Can a 3.0 motor at top speed be pushed further?

Have NO idea!! :smiley5:

We just noticed the Zed going faster on the straight than the others… all were running 2.2 motors. So we started pulling it apart, swapped motors etc etc… no difference! Circuit race turned to dragracing…

On an ~8′ straight the Zed on orange gears would end about 3-4 car lengths ahead of the normal orange car. We tried a 2.2 + 8:1 gears too… Zed will outdrag it at the start and then hold its lead whilst the other one spooled up. Then we tried a 2.6 + orange gears… nup, Zed won by 2 lengths.

The other cars were aged anywhere between 2 hrs and 6 weeks, and they all performed pretty identical with their 2.2 + orange. Just the Zed blew them all away.

btw… to be fair we all ran identical white Skyline bodies too, so when I say ‘Zed’ I mean the booster 57Mhz chassis with black wheels.

All Conspiracy theories welcomed!!

Admin
      Participant

thanks for all your help, i’ll be getting a 57mhz booster car, and the 4ch booster controller, when i have the money.

Admin
      Participant

and one more question, i’ve heard that the boost function on the zed (fairlady)makes the car go top speed, is this the same case with the 4ch booster controller, and with the controller, is they a switch to adjust the frquency in use, thanks to all of you for your help

PandaBear
      Participant

Zed has a single-freq “black” controller, it is same size/shape as the standard “silver/G”box except it has an extra ‘boost’ button on top right.

It is *not* the option 4-channel controller which looks like the PS1’s control. This of course also has the ‘boost’ button on it. I’m told the Booster cars cannot be controlled using old/normal controllers; sorry I cannot test this for sure as I don’t have another 57MHz car.

So … any one has any idea why/how this Zed is running faster than normal cars??:smiley3:

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:

I know it doesn’t make it gomuchfaster, I was saying its good for racing for corners, you can get round a small track witha 2.6 or even 3.0 since you can go through corners slowly.

Thats the main reason TOMY created a booster was for racing, but I still think if you dont race much you shouldnt get it, the pros dont add up to the cons.

The big thing against it which is why I dont have many is because it has quite a bad range, unless you place that telescopic antenna which looks pretty dum for such a small car.

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by PandaBear on 04November2002

I’m told the Booster cars cannot be controlled using old/normal controllers; sorry I cannot test this for sure as I don’t have another 57MHz car.

I think they can be controlled using a normal controller, just they would go half the normal speed. =)

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by Caine on 04November2002

Quote:

I know it doesn’t make it gomuchfaster, I was saying its good for racing for corners, you can get round a small track witha 2.6 or even 3.0 since you can go through corners slowly.

Oh right, you didn’t mention anything about cornering in your first post so I was only to presume.

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by Caine on 04November2002

Quote:

I think they can be controlled using a normal controller, just they would go half the normal speed. =)

WARNING! The booster machine sets (GM-101, GM-102, GM-103 and GM-104) CANNOT be controlled with a standard Bit Char-G controller. You MUST use the 4Band controller to control the booster machine sets.

Thought I’d better clear that up for anyone who was about to order a booster set to use with a standard controller.

You CAN however, use the 4Band controller to control a standard Bit Char-G by flicking a switch on the 4Band controller. There are three settings the 4Band controller can operate in:

• A – Select to control standard Bit Char-G cars
      • B – Select to enable the boost button/funtion (your carwill run slower until you press the boost button – which will put it at top speed)
      • C – Select to control your booster car at top speed always
      • [/list]

Hope this clears some of the info up!?

Admin
      Participant

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANNA MAKE YOUR CAR SLOWER. dont be a puss. take the corners like a man if ya spin out get some traction compound on your tires and bal. you car with adhesive weights till it takes um good. i got a 3.8 and if i wanted it slower i’ll switch to a $4 stock eng. not a $40 booster con. they suck and there a waste of money. just think about it i can see it haveing the advange over s fast car on a tack with alot of turns if the car isent set up and spins out easy but a prop. tuned car and bal. out car will smoke that booster.

remember take the turns high and come out low

Admin
      Participant

Yeah but if you don’t want to be faffing around with weigths, balance, traction etc. etc. then a booster machine set is good enough. I don’t know what an adhesive weight looks like or where you’d put them but if they go on the outside of the vehicle – who’d want to do that? It’d make the car look ugly!

P.s. Puting full stops. in every sentence. makes it really. difficult to read :smiley5:

Admin
      Participant

in fishing stroes they have small thin adhesive weights i put 2 under my pc bord on the the inside of my chassy and 2 in the inside of the body still trying ta find what whare ta place um for the best traction.

Admin
      Participant

so what yall are saying is that for all booster sets, even Auto Modellista set, the booster makes the car only 3/4 speed then when pressing boost it makes it top speed.

Admin
      Participant

it makes it about 1/2 the speed then at boost it makes it full speed

Admin
      Participant

with out hitting boost there at about 12 speed

Admin
      Participant

i find my booster is a bit faster than a normal motor, my 2.2 seems to go at about a 2.4-2.6 when on constant boost

GT-ahh
      Participant

i think thats because there is less potential drop due to the different circuitry…

Impreza
      Participant

I agree in principal with Shypo, the motor runs a little faster and hotter in the booster bits??

Admin
      Participant

yes definetly Impreza. i tried using a 2.2 booster on my track and it seriously flew ask Gt-ahh he thought i was using a 2.6 or maybe evn a 3.0, well not quite a 3.0 but u get the point

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by lancer_evo on 05November2002

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANNA MAKE YOUR CAR SLOWER. dont be a puss. take the corners like a man

HAHA Well said!!!!!!!

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.