Can some1 show me how to dual motor?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      1Gamer
      Participant

I went through some old forums and read that merc-blue and imprezza have done dual motors has anyone else? There isn t actually any online tutorials for them so can anyone who has improvised this mod show how to do it?(in english i ve seen the jap site but understand nothing from it)

Impreza
      Participant

Hey 1Gamer, my dual motor is in the shop (been busy with body mods and stuff lately). I can answer any q’s you may have and even re-post some progress pics for you if you like. I would talk to merc if you can, don’t think too many ppl have tried it?? You could always use the following for translating the Japanese sites:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

It has been used here by members to translate others posts;) on occasion (hopefully not mine:sad:). Neway it works well. Please post the links to the sites that you found it on as I and I am sure merc-blue would love to see their ideas on this mod.

1Gamer
      Participant

I found it on the link micro_amps referd to awhile back: http://www.age.jp/%7Eex2/bit/11_custom.html I would use the online translator but for some reason my computer won’t let me download japanese text support and it all comes out in symbols(not japanese) and cannot be translated through online translators(i tried paralink.com)

Anyway can someone explain to me these pics?(from the site)
      11_1_00.jpg
      11_1_01.jpg
      11_1_02.jpg
      11_0_00.jpg

Edited by – 1Gamer on 02 December 2003 07:43:20

betty.k
      Participant

pic 1 is the side motor terminal. you remove this by removing the pin that holds the transfer gear. so you will have a steel shaft, motor terminal and a bit of plastic that holds the terminal in place. you will notice that the metal on the top half of the terminal is copper. he’s added this for this mod

pic 2 is an added peice of copper which is wired to the original underneath motor terminal.this will be the underneath motor terminal for the second motor.

pic 3. he’s not using the heat sink as it will get in the way, so it’s held in with wire that goes around the motor and probably out the holes and gaps in the chassis and then twisted together. this works fine, i’ve done it when i’ve lost/broken a heatsink, just be careful as the entire metal surface of the motor is a terminal.

pic 4, the end.:smiley16: just remember, you want to wire the motors in parallel (ie connect all the + terminals together and the – terminals together, NOT end to end ; +-+-). if you do wire them in series the motors will just spin at half their normal speed:8ball:

Impreza
      Participant

thx guys. Nice to see how others are doing the same mod. I will be revisiting this mod soon. May have pics after the xmas season. I am not a big fan of tieing down the motor to the axle though. I had mine like this but not sure the effect (-ve) it would have on the overall power transfer to the wheels (alot of potential friction?)

betty.k
      Participant

don’t wrap the wire around the axle, or it won’t move! there are 2 little holes under the original motor that you should use:8ball:

Impreza
      Participant

Thx betty. The way I finally did it was to use a heatsink on the first motor and a clip type device on the second (made from a bit racer). Avoiding wire attachment all together:)

Edited by – Impreza on 02 December 2003 11:19:00

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh dual motor is simple i got some copper pipe from the hobby shop and the motors sit really snug in it and baisicaly glued that were the second motor is in the pics above…….just ground it all down till it all fit and then u wire them up..

Edited by – merc-blue on 16 December 2003 12:35:45

Admin
      Participant

What is the performance like of a dual motor? What gear ratio works best?
      Anyone tried it with a ZZ SE?
      Brett

z-beam
      Participant
      Quote:
      pic 4, the end.:smiley16: just remember, you want to wire the motors in parallel (ie connect all the + terminals together and the – terminals together, NOT end to end ; +-+-). if you do wire them in series the motors will just spin at half their normal speed:8ball:

half the speed, but any increase in power?

betty.k
      Participant

i doubt it. i’m pretty sure that motors in series will only get half of the available voltage and current. but wired parallel both motors get all the juice:8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

that’s correct, you want to put them in parrallel to get any performanec boost.

What I would like to see is this mod done but with the 2nd motor pointing the other way and have a 2nd set of gears involved. This way you will remove any issue with torque spins that I’m sure affects all of us.

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

oooo! nice idea! might put that one on the list:smiley2::8ball:

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.