Can’t go straight

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

No matter how much I adjust the trimming on the bottom of the car it still drifts to the left. Even with it set as far over as it can go. Any ideas?

Admin
      Participant

take apart the front end and center the magnet. that should do it. b

Admin
      Participant

What do I do with the center magnet? If this has already been diagramed or expressed please leave thread.

Thanks

Admin
      Participant

here try this link

http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=169

hope it helps. b

x[/i]” bit of the URL and it will be sweet ]

Admin
      Participant

okay. that didn’t work. just go to the discussion section on bit char and then look for “alignment” derek’s post should help. b

Admin
      Participant

Or just copy and paste it. For some reason, direct links don’t work, but copy and paste does :smiley5:

Admin
      Participant

Centering the magnet won’t help it to go straight. That only helps if it’s steering sharper one way then the other. When everything’s clean, the only thing keeping your wheels straight is the hairspring!. How do I know, because the white adjustment on the bottom is connected to a shaft that goes through the loop of the spring that moves the spring left or right when adjusting the spring. Also, when going straight, the coils on either side of the magnet are off, therefore the magnet, being offset, wouldn’t matter since it’s not being pulled by either coil. (College physics finally paying off)

Anyway, ehough mumbo jumbo

The first thing to check is if there are any metal particles sticking to the plastic around the steering box (most likely problem). If so, the magnet is pulling itself toward those particles making it steer that way. Use a strong magnet to pull them off the body. Note: Usually the steering is not very responsive when this happens also.

Next make sure you lube all moving connections with dry graphite. Sometimes the steering just catches because its dry or has a grain in it (most likely not the problem)

If that’s not the problem take the steeringbox apart and see if there’s any particles in there and clean them (most likely not).When going straight neither coils is charges so the magnet is of no consiquence. The onlything keeping the wheels straight is the spring

Finally, if nothing is pulling the magnet either direction the only thing holding the wheels straight is the hair spring wrapped around the center white adjustment post with the legs to either side of the T retainer. Sometimes the spring gets knocked off the T retainer making the wheels turnone way. That white center post is connected to your trim adjustment on the underside of your car. You’ll notice it makes the white shaft move from right to left when adjusted. This makes the spring legs move right or left making your steering go right or left. If the spring looks to be where it’s supposed to be then make sure the legs aren’t bent. They should be straight from the coil around the white shaft to the end of the legs.

If the spring looks good let me know. I’ll tell you how to bend the spring so I goes straight. Trust me,I’ve done it to my own car. I had to have it all the way to the left before it would go straight. I didn’t have to bend my spring but I did anyway just because I didn’t like that adjustment all the way over.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

Now that’s a bit of usefull info.

Thanks PR!

-Floyd

Admin
      Participant

Sorry, I was gong from memory, The spring coil goes around a black post which is part of the steering bar and the legs go on both sides of the T retainer (also part of the steering bar). The white trim shaft goed in between the legsof the spring when you put the steering bar in the car. Other than that everything else is correct.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

A powerful magnet did the trick. It was filled with tiny metal shavings.

Thanks!

Admin
      Participant

hey Prabbit, can you tell me how to bend the spring so thatmybit can go straight, cuz I have the adjustment all the way to the left but my bit still drift to the right. The weird thing is it can go straight backward but not straight forward.

Admin
      Participant

Tiburon

Have you tried re-seating and re-centering the magnet?

“Centre” is not necessarily the middle of the steering box, either. :smiley5: The left and right EM coils are rarely of the same strength. On one of my cars, for example, the magnet is sticking a full 1.2mm off-centre from armature and now holds a perfect straight line.

Derek

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.