• Author
      jord001
      Participant

what are cat 5 arials and are they better

jord :approve:

Edited by – Shypo on 23 April 2003 20:46:33

micro_Amps
      Participant

Cat 5 is a wire type. It is an 8 core cable of copper wires that is used for computer networking. Its usually blue or grey on the outside and has 8 wires inside the sheilding.
      It is used because it is thin and rigid and you can cut it to any length. A longer aerial will help you to get better range from your BCG.
      You can get good results using the thinnest piano wire that hobby shops sell too. This works well and looks a bit better.
      Hope this helps
      :)uA

jord001
      Participant

Thanks micro Amps, yes it does help. I take it that you just unsolder the exiting antenna and re-solder the cat5 or piano wire in the same place?

:approve:

jord :approve:

ph2t
      Participant

Correct. You might find though that it is easier to NOT follow the path of the original antenna and just make it stick straight out of the shell at th rear of the car. What I mean is that the stock antenna loops around the circuit board and then through the shell. You don’t need to replicate this again.

ph2t.

Prabbit
      Participant

Right on, you can also use solid core telephone wire. Any solid copper core wire will produce simmilar results. Don’t hesitate to make your new modified antenna longer than stock. I’ve done this mod for may friends and I just leave the antenna really long and tell them to cut it down as short as they want keeping in mind the longer the better.

-Peter

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.