Cheap Mods – part 1 – Steering

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      kitsune
      Participant

Mod 1 – Improved Steering
      Purpose – the out of the tin steering on the tin racers has a lot of play this will tighten it up so you can drive in a straight line.
      Parts – Paper Tape or other suitable sticky tape.
      Tools – Screwdriver, Scissors, Vice, Needle nose pliers
      Warnings – Too much fine tuning to the ammount of play may strip the plastic inside the wheels.

Step 1 – Dissassemble the steering assembly. RC132 provide a good guide on this.
      Step 2 – Use vice to push metal pin in wheel assembly into wheel until the wheel no longer wobbles.
      Step 3 – Use needle nose pliers to losten metal pin untill wheel begins to move freely, (you want to find the point where the wheel spins but does not wobble.
      Step 4 – There are 3 pegs on each wheel assembly they loosely fit in holes on the steering assembly, wrap paper tape around each peg until it almost fits snugly in its hole, if it does not move freely use less tape.
      Step 5 – Reassemble the car

Hopefully you should have eliminated most of the play in the steering system and the car should now drive easily in a straight line.

Racer9
      Participant

works well. teflon tape will also reduce friction

kitsune
      Participant

Thanks, thats a briliant idea, any sugestions on where I can easily get some?

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Plumbers use it if thats any help. You put it on the thread of copper pipes and connectors.

kitsune
      Participant

Pork Hunt – thanks, If that’s the stuff I use it to stop my roller blade bolts from coming undone (to cheap to buy lock-tight)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.