Cheapest performance mod of all time!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

At around 10 Aussie cents (… ummm USD0.05 for our American friends…. or a measly GBP0.03 for you kids in Great Britain) you can give your Bit Char-G a dead simple performance mod.

Grease. No – I’m not talking John Travolta or Oliva Newton-John here. I’m talking luuuuubricant grease! To be more specific – CERAMIC grease. Unlike normal ‘brown’ grease used by your local mechanic, ceramic greaseis white; it doesn’t stink and – most importantly – it will not harm delicate plastics as it is free from harmful petrochemicals that like to eat plastic like snackfood.

The only stuff that I found here in Sydney, without shelling out for a 44L (10gal) drum of the stuff – was from a local hobby shop at AUD9.95 for a 10g tube of Tamiya(tm) brand grease (Tamiya part no. TAM87025). A tube of this stuff will grease AT LEAST 100 cars (LOL!).

Applying the grease ain’t brainsurgery, guys.Just grease the axle, axle lock point on the chassis, and main gear spindle. DO NOT grease your motor or spindle gear. Friction at those two points is good….mmmmkay?

BTW – for folks with the GT-R Spec Ed Skylines, you don’t need to do this immediately, as TOMY applies a factory grease to the axle/locking points before packaging. ‘Corse – this will eventually dry up and get dirty and you’ll need to ‘service’ the car yourself.

No idea what I’m talking about? Check out these photos that should hopefully make things a little clearer.

Hope someone finds this wee tip helpful. If anyone else has something they’d like to offer, just post away! If you need any accompanying pix to be hosted, just emailus and we’ll get them uploaded onto ausmicro.com for you.

Cheers

Derek

Admin
      Participant

Are you reading my mind now, or what?…

I was just, yesterday actually, thinking about the (eventual) lubrication of the car…

I noticed the Skyline had 1/100 of the amount of grease shown in your photos @ the axel lock points… And it was black, to boot!…

I was @ one stage thinking of getting some graphite, but now I’ll have to track down a tube of this Ceramic Grease…

Admin
      Participant

Sorry, seen this tip already (except for the ceramic grease part). The down side is that it will pick up dirt easier and need cleaning more frequently. Of course, if you’re getting ready to race someone, you should clean your bit before the race anyway and the grease can give you an edge.

Admin
      Participant

Ylexot

Firstly – just noticed that was your first post. WELCOME!

Yeah – I find it hard to believe that no-one would have done it before. Hell, in the 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale electric/nitroarenas (where I also play) those guys live and die by lubes.

And yes – a VERY good point about keeping the car clean. No amount of grease is going to help if you have half of last night’s dinner and clumps of your pet’s hair (or your own as the case may be!) wrapped tightly around the running gear.

Cheers

Admin
      Participant

Yeah, I’ve been lurking here for a while, but finally decided to join.

At first, I was thinking “Gee, another board, how novel .” However, it looks like this will probably be one of the better boards around (Martini still taking 1st place). So keep up the good work!

Admin
      Participant

OOO OOO OOO, I found a new one! http://www.ehobbies.com/1000-6333.html

In case you don’t want to follow the link, it is dry white grease with teflon. The description says it doesn’t pick up dust…excellent. Maybe you guys can find something similar in AU.

Admin
      Participant

I had been wondering about the ‘dry’ lubes – I have a bunch of the stuff they make for PINEWOOD DERBY cars (son is a cub scout).

I’ve been debating using these, both the white teflon and the grey graphite…but they are real hard to keep applied – they don’t ‘cling’ as well as advertised…also they tend to act as dust themselves…once they got on the tires…so long traction!

Admin
      Participant

I have some of that Graphite Stuff for my sons PineWood Derby Car too.

Although he’s not in scouts(yet), I bought him 2 cars for christmas.

-Floydski

Admin
      Participant

Floydski

Do you want to adopt me and send me cool gadgets as your “son”? I can call you dad and everything if you like. But – sorry – no kissing!

Hehehheehe

Derek

(Friday 5pm is just 44mins away – wooohooo!)

Admin
      Participant

RFLMAO

As long as you let daddy play eith some of your Nitros!

Admin
      Participant

Hehehehehe……

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.