Clones vs. Microsizers/BCG

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      titaniumonkey
      Participant

After reading an articl at http://www.microrccars.com , I was halfway convinced that clones are indeed better than the normal or real micros. My little friend (only 10 yrs old) has a bit char-a (came in a dome thing with a round controller) and it came stock with a 2.6 motor and has a very long driving time. So, all in all, which is better? the clones or the real thing? (I need this info cuz I’m planning to buy a micro rc car and I want the “best” one out there.)

barto_85
      Participant

I have also heard that clones can be pretty good. But there is more chance of getting a dodgy one.

brendan
      Participant

If you are goen to get a clone get a lxx char-g they are the best clones u can get.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

I was aiming for a bit char-a instead of a lxx because I like to buy from stores and not online. the only place that I know of in Richmond, Vancouver which sells clones sells only bit char-a and no lxx… still, are Bit char-a that good? I’ve seen quite alot of other people who own this car and say it’s better than the normal microsizers and BCGs. I personally don’t know anything about this… and please, a comparison between Bit Char-a and Microsizers anyone?

brendan
      Participant

i havnt even heard of a bit char-a

barto_85
      Participant

i know of bit char-a but do not know much of their quality, sorry.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Generally speaking I have found the Tomy cars are a better quality. I have clones that have loose steering linkages, average motors, weaker magnets in the steering, sloppy noisy gearing, plastic that cracks easily, heatsinks that dont fit very well, the list just goes on…..
      BUT,
      Some of the clones have, a faster motor, or a longer lasting battery, so people say they are better. It depends what you are looking for.
      I find the Tomy cars are excellent to modify, but you do need to modify them to get them moving. (motors, tyres, cells, etc) With a little ‘tuning’ you can build a car that will run dead straight and damn fast.
      Some people just want to charge and go fast straight away, and a clone with a fast motor will do that. Cost also make a big difference when buying these cars too.
      For me its the Tomy cars (or MS) all the way, it really just depends on what you are looking for.
      :)uA
      P.S. I hear that the Bit Char-a are quite a reasonable clone too.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

I would have to agree with micro amps to some extent. Tomy is better quality yes and drives better but you do need to work on them before they will preform to there max.

Now if you want to start modddin but are not to sure of your skills then get clones only for the fact that they are cheaper so if you mess it up it not so hard on your pocket.

if you want out of box good car then get a MS or BCG but make sure to get a higher mhz or you might find the range stinks without any mods done to it.

TallduDe
      Participant

after owning a few clones which promised to be better then then Bit’s i have to admit that i still prefer the original items.

all of the original cars that i have owned go straight, right out of the box.

whilst all the clones seem not to.

the big problem with original cars is that they have slow motors but all that is needed is a motor change. some clones have a hard wired motor so unless you do some soldering your stuck with that motor.

bit’s are designed so they are easy to up graude that is why there is a whole variaty of parts for then like motors, gears, tires and etc.

if your going to buy a cheap clone remember you get what you pay for.

Admin
      Participant

The other reason to get a Microsizers car is the warranty. One of mine busted and Hobbico sent me a new chassis with very few questions asked. I have a lot of clones and Bits and Microsizers (20-something with more on the way), and I like the Microsizers cars the best. LXX clones are the worst cars I have purchased.

ph2t
      Participant

Heya there hue, welcome downunder man!:approve:

Bottom line TOMY. Stay with the original and the best!

ph2t.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Char-A aka Leyu Precious, the best clone out there, save for the Lancer WRC and Mini’s you can get from Toyworld AU, but they have hard wired motors.

For my money, since I can re-do the paint on the bodies, there’s nothing wrong with Leyu clones.

Tomy make the worst motors and controllers IMO.

ph2t
      Participant

True, the controllers are weaker stock than clone controllers like Bensu but for the best chassis out there consistently it’s gotta be TOMY.

ph2t.

Prowler3
      Participant

ill set this staright:

a bit char a is a cheapo version of bitchargs. They are made the same, with the same style chassis etc. The are faster, have goood rang eand handle better that bit charg gs. I bought a clone accord on the weekend and it wheelstands when i stick it in reverse and then forwards again. Sure it might not be as high quality imm starting 2 think they r ok! its my next project car

leonli17
      Participant

I remember i posted a topic on the Bit CHar-A Previous i bought 2 months ago.
      Here is the link to it:
      http://www.ausmicro.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=808&FORUM_ID=8&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=some+clones+r+better+than+Tomy+made&Forum_Title=BCG+%2D+Discussion

Well. i Think it’s performance is exactly like what Prowler3 described. Except it’s a metallic Blue Celica. The chassis is light grey. It does have better performance but the cleaness of the chassis is not as good(eg: the PCB cover didn’t attach to the chassis perfectly. etc). But everything else is good. Even the tires are better than the soft tires in the Tomy tire set. They don’t stick dust as much on them.

crazydave
      Participant

I hear there are some good clones out there, but I’ve been burnt every time. The motors and batteries are better, but I’ve had problems with horrid steering, and weak PCBs. My Bit Char-gs have have always performed perfectly. I’ve had a couple Microssizers that had some steering issues, but like Hue said, they have a warranty, and they’re more than happy to replace them. I just like to work things out for myself.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

ah… I just wanted a car to mod very slightly (change tires, colour the body, etc) I was going to race some kid I know who has a bit char-a and god it’s fast and it’s steering is good. It can even run on carpet. I had my sights set on either a ms or a clone but now, I think I’ll buy both…

leonli17
      Participant

most cars out of box can run on carpet. u can just buy a MS and a new motor for it and u can race that kid. U just have to make sure that kid didn’t get his car DUal celled or MOSFETed. i doubt he did those mods but just to make sure.
      By the way, how old r u titaniumonkey?

titaniumonkey
      Participant

I’m 13, and that kid I know just bought the car and it could run on carper. Thick Carpet, may I add. his bit char-a had a stock 2.6 motor and it’s handeling is great. wnder if it’ll drift with dustier tires….

leonli17
      Participant

It might drift a little. But most likely, not fast enough for drifting. A MOSFET car and Dual cell is good for drifting if u get the tires, motors and suspension right.

ANd if u want to beat that kid in the race. Buy a 3.0 motor and put into MS. oh…and don’t tell him u got a 3.0 in there.:smiley2:

titaniumonkey
      Participant

thanks, but how do you tell whether a bullet clone is a Besu or a Leyu or some other brand? I mean I’ve tried to read the labels but it’s he11 trying to make out what they are trying to say what with all that horrible english grammar…

I think I’ll buy a clone to start with and a ms later on, thanks to all those who aswered this post.

leonli17
      Participant

If u want to buy a clone to start with. Buy a Bit Char-A. I reckon it’s one of the good quality clones.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

thansk alot. Do you know anything about shen qi weis? I means as is quality and speed, etc

merc-blue
      Participant

i have had tons of shens over time n tons have had steering problems ie. broken wires, magnet not glues on rite, and i have also had some with dead batteries and sone juist dont run till i redo the entier pcb (un solder every thing and resolder every thing (takes like a week)

titaniumonkey
      Participant

ah… thanks for the heads up. I ended up buying some car called thunder charger racers or something like that. I got them for 10 bucks cabnadian. tHery are pretty fast and mine came with a yello motor. It was very noisy, it’s right turn is awesome but it’s left turn dosen’t work. Tonight, I will go to the nightmarket and see if I can get myself a bit char-a for 10 bucks ( My friend bought his for 10 bucks…) so, I’ll tell you all what’s going with the car as soon as I can finish playing with…er…testing it out for all of you

merc-blue
      Participant

… just rub the gears with a grey lead pencil (softer varity prefered) and it will make it run faster and cut down the noise ….. same as sing graphite lubricant

titaniumonkey
      Participant

ah, thanks. I went to the night market and they had clones for 10 bucks canadian!!!!! I bought an Auldey clone for 8 bucks and the range is amazing!! I was working with it downstairs and it interupted the call my mom was having in her upstairs room. (27 mhz) the only problem is that it’s run time isn’t so good and it’s motor has a green cap and is hard-wired to the chassis. Anyone know how to change that without doing something risky?

z-beam
      Participant

does the thunder charger have pink gears? and is the gear attached to the motor got 8 teeth intead of 6? i bought one in melboune last year and the car sucked but those gears were worth every penny…

titaniumonkey
      Participant

yeah… that’s it

crazydave
      Participant

We got Thunder chargers here for 5 bucks. The bodies look lame, but out of 8 cars, all have worked perfectly. That pink endbell motor is very torquey, and works well with dual cells. The 7-tooth pinion will work on bits, but is a tad snug.
      The tires are wide and flat, and the 6-spoke rims are a nice change.

Those are the only clones I’ve been satisfied with, in my own personal experience, and being only 5 bucks, hey, that’s all bonus. Too bad there’s none left around me.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

I’m not too happy with my thunder charger now. I’ve ripped it apart adn taken whatever I can to put on my Auldey Clone. However, the motor was a tellw capped motor. I ended up using the thunder charger body to paint an initial d-ish AE86. I’ll post pics as soon as I can.

By the way, How do I post pics?

titaniumonkey
      Participant

I meant to say yello, not tellw…

barto_85
      Participant

you can edit your message, there is an icon at the top of each post you make, one of the 5 icons.

crazydave
      Participant
      Quote:
      I’m not too happy with my thunder charger now. I’ve ripped it apart adn taken whatever I can to put on my Auldey Clone. However, the motor was a tellw capped motor. I ended up using the thunder charger body to paint an initial d-ish AE86. I’ll post pics as soon as I can.

By the way, How do I post pics?

That sound like a different Thunder Charger than the ones they were selling at Big Lots.

Who knows, there’s so much varience with clones.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

It turns out it’s called thunder racers or something like that…any one got info on that? And I want a smartland clone. Are they any good?

RacerX
      Participant

I just got a new clone from a hobbie store in town I’ve changed the frequence over (switch the pcb with an old one) But it has the best steering I’ve seen on a bit or clone bit comes in a weird piramid container the only name I can find on it is my micro r/c I’ll post pics later.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

mine came in a weird bullet shape that had weird angles to it…

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.