Commutator Drops…

Viewing 53 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant

Usual lunch walk into Hobbico…

Noticed that they had two brands of commutator drops. One priced at $23.50 the other $16.95.

Has anyone tried them, and are they really worth getting ? How long does a drop on the brushes last for before power returns back to normal ?

Do they help lubricate the brushes and prolong their lifespan ?

Thanks in advance.

K.

Jay-Z
      Participant

kevsta, never used them but geo can tell you the pro`s & cons.. if i remember right they give a reasonable performance gain, down side is that you have to pull the motor apart at the end of the day & clean it, something to do with dust and crap being attracted to the drops??!! geo??

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Commutaor drops are generally used for 5 minute races etc.

Mini Z races go longer, so you would get a dirty commutator by the end of a race and need to strip and clean.

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Commutaor drops are generally used for 5 minute races etc.

Mini Z races go longer, so you would get a dirty commutator by the end of a race and need to strip and clean.

Thanks for the advice all, money better spent elsewhere since we don’t have any races.

bithed
      Participant

…Thats very useful that information…They have been on my mind recently too…Thanks for that…

Roe
      Participant

Hey Kev, I got some team orion “comm drops” & trinity “royal oil” that i use for my HPI Pro. Next time we meet, just remind me and your welcome to help urs buddy….:)

Jay-Z
      Participant

hey roe, do you have to strip down the motor on your HPI pro when you use the comm drops?

Roe
      Participant

Nah, just need to remove the pins that hold down the brushes. Then i use a com stick cleaner to clean the commucator. I got 2 of these, 1’s like a hard rubber the other is fibre glass (don’t use this 1 much:) add a couple of drops on the comm and off you go….:) Your also welcome to help urs next time we meet 😀

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Hey Kev, I got some team orion “comm drops” & trinity “royal oil” that i use for my HPI Pro. Next time we meet, just remind me and your welcome to help urs buddy….:)

Thanks Roe, your a champion dude.

Oh, I’m getting so tempted to get a 1/10 electric powered tourer now. 🙂

Jay-Z
      Participant

…better not let the wife find out kevsta, lol 👿

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

you too, eh? I love Christmas time…:D What you looking at getting Kev?

merc-blue
      Participant

meh .. asif anyone uses comm drops. just oil up ur bushings/bearings and use a comm stick and maybe a motor spry every noe and then.. com drops just clog up ur comm

dgs73
      Participant

cant beat compressed air mate… No crap to build up in tight spots either:smiley2:

TallduDe
      Participant

they got air in a can(just like spaceballs i tells ya!) its compressed and it cleans out shit real ezy, but u have to buy new cans all the time.

a compressor would be great.

have yet to try these drops but just a quick question. if im gonna rip out a pd and put it into a new bb can would these things best be used to put in em straight away or do u only use em when ur motor is dying?

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:
      meh .. asif anyone uses comm drops. just oil up ur bushings/bearings and use a comm stick and maybe a motor spry every noe and then.. com drops just clog up ur comm

I haven’t had that problem before…..the comm drops is a VERY low viscosity, so i can’t imagine any buildup on the comm…..I also use buggy blast for the motor spray….:D

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:
      they got air in a can(just like spaceballs i tells ya!) its compressed and it cleans out **** real ezy, but u have to buy new cans all the time.

a compressor would be great.

have yet to try these drops but just a quick question. if im gonna rip out a pd and put it into a new bb can would these things best be used to put in em straight away or do u only use em when ur motor is dying?

yeah, got myself a cheap air compressor from bunning (man im gonna have to get a comission of these guys:) only 98 bucks, I use this to clean all my rc’s after a days run…..

imoa Comm drops aren’t the convinient in the z motors, unless the comm is ez to get at….but with the brush setup on most motors, this isn’t the case….
      🙂

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:
      Quote:

you too, eh? I love Christmas time…:D What you looking at getting Kev?

Looking into a Tamiya TB02 with impul-350z shell… But not sure as yet because I’m probably not going to actively race it in competitions etc.. I think I’m going to have to work out where to run the thing.

Hobbico have them for $379 and the sales guy recommends the TT01 RTR…

Ahh decisions decisions….

mini-g
      Participant

depends if you want to build or not…

personally i prefer building anyday over rtr… but that is me. nothing wrong with rtr but when you build it you know how to pull it apart to fix it when you run into something, and you will!!!

shop around you will be surprised how much more some places try to rip you of than others.

i have been racing 1/10th for more years than i care to remember so if you have any questions please ask away…

Dave

MiniKing
      Participant

You too kev……I was thinking bout getting the same electric car cause i want to turn it into a drift car with PVC tyres and all that….i love that rc drifting s**t man its awsome and seeing my nitro is just way too powerfull for any sought of CONTROLLED drift im looking into a cheap yet modifiable 1/10 rc car….:):):D
      I Have got an old Tamiya TA02 sitting in my cuboard but it needs a bit of work to get it goin….

Edited by – MiniKing on 28 October 2004 11:53:53

kevsta
      Participant

I’d like to build one up as well for the fun of it.

I’ve got some prices from overseas, seems like one can be landed here for about $215 with the aussie dollar so high.

Mini-king, I want to do the same thing as well – some controlled drifting action. Still can’t do it properly with a mini-z 👿

So hopefully 4wd will make it easier.

mocky
      Participant

i’ve heard once u’ve got the pvc and got it tuned a bit, it goes sideways on command, i think it sorta works like an xmod wen it drifts. a miniz goes sideways but the front wheels just grip and u just get a spin out while on a xmod, the rear flicks out and since uve got front wheel happenin and they slip too but retain some grip and continues to slide. thats wat i think mite not be true but its just wat i’ve gatherd from watchin vids and hearing stories.

Roe
      Participant

Yeah, i got some pvc’s on my HPI RS4 Pro 2. Certainly need a few more lesson at driving as there’s very little grip (i know thats the point) i’ll bring it down to meadow bank on the w/e, dgs73 tells me that they resufaced the courts!! should have better grip then the road out the front of my house!!! :smiley16:

MiniKing
      Participant

Kev:4wd drive will make it a heap easier to drift and yes you will have a more controlled drift………Check out Hobby Co they have th new TT01 in kit form for only $195.00….Bearings set is only $25 full set and then all you need is radio gear it comes with a ESC cheering…..i think thats the way im goin to go…ill just get a hotter motor and you will be able drift…cant wait!!!!!!:D:D

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Kev:4wd drive will make it a heap easier to drift and yes you will have a more controlled drift………Check out Hobby Co they have th new TT01 in kit form for only $195.00….Bearings set is only $25 full set and then all you need is radio gear it comes with a ESC cheering…..i think thats the way im goin to go…ill just get a hotter motor and you will be able drift…cant wait!!!!!!:D:D

Bad news, the other half says no to the 1:10 but says yes to the duratrax mini quake. Says I don’t have room to put a 1:10.

You single guys are lucky I tell ya !

Jay-Z
      Participant

kevsta kevsta kevsta, your first mistake was telling her!! ..just buy it & say it`s for her, then when she doesn`t use it it`s all yours 👿 -i bought my old man an eminem cd last xmas and got it back a week later, win win 😀

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:
      Bad news, the other half says no to the 1:10 but says yes to the duratrax mini quake. Says I don’t have room to put a 1:10.

You single guys are lucky I tell ya !

im in kev..for sheezy my neezy..Im sure my son needs 1 of these:smiley2:, i’ve been wanting 1 ever since rcmart got them. Now, just have to ask the boss 😀

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah those mini quakes look nice!

should of bought the 1:10 th for your wife so you both can share into the hobby kev! lol

kevsta
      Participant

It’s only a matter of time… I’ll keep working on it and eventually the 1:10 will be mine. I’ll just buy her a something, then I’ll buy myself something LOL.

Reading the reviews of the duratrax mini-quake apparently they have some quality issues, where some parts break in under a week from normal indoor driving.

Hopefully the clones at rc-mart are better – and spares for it become available.

🙂

MiniKing
      Participant

Hey Kev i got my 1/10 electric car which will be my drift car……and im not single my girlfriend just has to deal with it i just keep telling her that she is more important than my hobby and that i enjoy her more works for me….But i seriously need to stop buying rc S**T man im goin to start saving for either a new car or im going to nuts on my sylvia im leaning more towards doin up sylvia though cause i love the shape of my car………decisions decisions…..:D:D

merc-blue
      Participant

the trick here boys is buy her sumthing the same time. eg. a new necklace or sumthing and the buy ur self a new TRF415 or EVO4 she wont notice then

MiniKing
      Participant

LOL good one merc…..:D

kevsta
      Participant

Woohoo, I’ve got the all okay to proceed with the 1:10 (I had to promise that I will only get one 1:10 LOL)- but will be a few weeks before I get it. Going to get my sister to evaluate prices in Hong Kong for me while she’s on holidays.

MiniKing, best to do all the stuff to the car now… you don’t want to be old and driving a done up car man – it just doesn’t have the right image.

😀

Jay-Z
      Participant

…and remember kevsta, if you cross your fingers when you make a promise, you don`t have to stick to it!! -it`s all part of the rules; have you seen the movie road trip?

Roe
      Participant

so whatcha gonna get kev??

TallduDe
      Participant

was it a tt01 dude?

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      so whatcha gonna get kev??

Tamiya TB02 Chassis with Impul-Z shell
      Futaba MC330CR ESC with Reverse, handles > 13 turn motors
      Futaba 2PL TX + RX + 2 x s3003 servo package

That’s it, Batteries and charger I’ll sort out locally, but looking at the 7.2V 6 cell 3600mah nimh batt sticks.

That’s about it… do I need anything else ?:)

MiniKing
      Participant

Kev you forgot the most important thing PVC drift tyres…!!!!!:D:D:D That we need to get more guys drifting down at meadowbank man…

merc-blue
      Participant

hey thats a nice setup.. i got a mate witha TA04 going cheap.. if any one is interested PM me .. its not my TA04 its another one
      as for the charger and packs ive been told about a 100 times to buy second hand packs off mod racers them guys use them for a month and sell them cheap so you get slightly used 150 dollar packs for about 40 bux each which is a great deal and they still have punch like they were new there run time is droped by one minute (or some miniscule margin) and that means a mod racer cant finish a race with them AHAHAHAHA.

MiniKing
      Participant

Hey Kev i can get 3000mah Nimh stick packs for $40 each or two for $65 and thats wat i run in my TT01 drift car with a 15×2 mod motor and i get mad run times they are perfect for wat were doin yesterday i was drifting for ages with my 3000 packs……and deliver a good punch rite through….Let me know if want any cause im goin with roe Friday to get some im getting another 4…. :D:D:smiley2:

merc-blue
      Participant

is a 15×2 over kill for drifting a 20t rebuildable would be better wouldne it?

MiniKing
      Participant

Nah dude my motor goes sick for drifting my bro Roe runs a 16 triple mod motor in his HPI for drifting and we get some sick drifting action happening

TallduDe
      Participant

dude im interested in gettin those batts!

get bak to me and we can talk something over i suppose :smiley2:

MiniKing
      Participant

Hey TD no worries dude ill give you a buzz or give me a buzz and tell me how many you want man hell if your not busy come out with us and ill show you were this hobby shop is at…???Up to you dude let me know..:D:D

Roe
      Participant

yep, im there bro, lettuce know when your gonna go, if im still not working on Australia’s Next Top Model 😀 I’ll come for sure…Can’t let you drift alone buddy :smiley2:

TallduDe
      Participant

when do u guys want to go i wanna check this place out.

MiniKing
      Participant

were prob gonna go through on Friday dude….let us know if you want to come with…:D:D:smiley2:

Roe
      Participant

BACK TO TOPIC

…when we clean your motor again MK, we’ll use the comm drops again, forgot to mention that they were probably the cause of your mad sparks, as the brushes seem to be wearing fine…

kevsta
      Participant

Hey MK, Thanks for the offer on thos Batt sticks.

I’ll have to pass on it though. Going to try and get all the stuff off a mate’s brother.

🙂

MiniKing
      Participant

No worries dude if you need anything else to help set up your 1/10 just ask bro me and Roe both started in 1/10 and have a Sh*t load of 1/10 touring stuff between us….:D:D

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:

…after messing around with my iwaver, and finally perfecting the motor mount, i manage to achive a speed of 54ks, using stock iwaver 01, iwaver pro motor and 11 tooth pinion. happy with the results i thought i’d try my comm drops (as the motor case is similar to the atomic bb 1, there’s ez access to the comm) and low and behold an extra 3ks, pushing this car to 57ks STOCK!!! WAT!!… 😀

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

…after messing around with my iwaver, and finally perfecting the motor mount, i manage to achive a speed of 54ks, using stock iwaver 01, iwaver pro motor and 11 tooth pinion. happy with the results i thought i’d try my comm drops (as the motor case is similar to the atomic bb 1, there’s ez access to the comm) and low and behold an extra 3ks, pushing this car to 57ks STOCK!!! WAT!!… 😀

Roe, They’re good motors for the price. My batteries go close to melt down when running it with a 14t pinion.

57K’s you champion. Be interesting what you’d get with that nelly 1.3 of yours.
      :):smiley16:

Roe
      Participant

…yeah im pretty happy with the result kev, considering. i can’t say that it’s been smooth sailing tho. i had my fair share of the usuall iwaver problems including poor wiring and glicthy steering. but i seem to have it under control for the time being. so i’ved nelly’d the other iwaver (last 1’s for my son:) and 57ks is the most this motor will put out, even on nelly 1.3 im gonna give it the PD/BB case and see what i can get out of it! i’ll post my results later tonight…:)

peteWah
      Participant

good good !!!

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      …yeah im pretty happy with the result kev, considering. i can’t say that it’s been smooth sailing tho. i had my fair share of the usuall iwaver problems including poor wiring and glicthy steering. but i seem to have it under control for the time being. so i’ved nelly’d the other iwaver (last 1’s for my son:) and 57ks is the most this motor will put out, even on nelly 1.3 im gonna give it the PD/BB case and see what i can get out of it! i’ll post my results later tonight…:)

It’ll be interesting to see what speeds could be had if you swapped the x-speed pro neo-magnets with pd magnets.

:p

Viewing 53 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.