Compact Char-G 27MHz range

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

From what I’ve read, it seems as though all the 27MHz Compact Char-Gs available in Australia (the Silver S2000 and the White R34 GT-R) have extremely poor range when compared with the 40MHz varieties.

I can personally attest to this behaviour, and wanted to know if anyone has managed to overcome this particular problem with these cars. I haven’t yet checked mine for the “cripple capacitor” as is mentioned quite a lot, but from other people’s posts it doesn’t appear that the Australian ones have this component.

So, has anyone got a sure-fire, easy quick-fix that they have tried and know works without issue?

If not, has anyone got some dodgy fixes that they’ve tried?

I’d like to know what everyone has (or hasn’t, but thought up)tried to resolve this issue. I’m supposing that a better receiver antenna and a telescopic antenna is probably the best way to go.

Admin
      Participant

a fix is to ditch it
      nah try an antenna mod

Admin
      Participant

I’ve got one of the white GT-R compact char-g’s.

I’ve gone through a few mods fixing the range, and have definitely seen improvement.

I’ve:

– removed tiny cripple cap from car

– replaced car antenna with longer cat5 one

– pot mod on car (half done at the moment, need someone to help out to do it properly)

I’m fairly sure that at least the second two things above have helped, not too sure about the cripple cap.

still plan on:

– fine tuning the pot mod

– doing a telescopic antenna mod

pretty sure I’ll be happy with mine when those are done.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by honkhonk on 01November2002

– pot mod on car (half done at the moment, need someone to help out to do it properly)

Hard to find a willing accomplice too, so I jammed the TX under a chair with the chairleg sitting on the ‘go’ button (Antenna left coiled). Car was 10′ away at this time, brought in slowly until the motor started running – approx 3′ from TX.

Adjusted the pot like focusing a camera (go back-n-forth around the sweetspot), moving away each time you’ve centred it on the tuned spot. I got to about 4.5′ away before tuning did nothing more.

With the Antenna UP, range improved to about 6′, up by about 1′ only.

That’s it, this weekend Mr 27 is going Under the Knife!! :smiley3:

Admin
      Participant

ah, that’s not a bad idea.

I’ve actually got willing housemates to give it a go with me here, but working and beering has been getting in the way :smiley4:

have you done any other mods to try to improve the range? I wonder how much a telescopic antenna helps…

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by honkhonk on 01November2002

have you done any other mods to try to improve the range? I wonder how much a telescopic antenna helps…

Not yet… have only had that one 27 for the past week. I bought a whole bunch of 27s but gave them all away to family & friends; had 1 left which I then built & turned out had a wonky TX charger. This one’s range wasn’t impressive compared to the 40 – so I had a go at tuning.

Went to exchange it last Sat, TRU gave me a whole brand new one, built it in an hour. Turned out same range, so had a go at tuning this one too withsame results.

The other guys with the 27s have had a go at extending the car antenna. Open the clear cover to trace the grey wire. Unknot and unravel it, that’ll give you about 5″ of wire to stand erect. For $0 & 5 mins’ work, this will improve your range to about 6-7′, however with that extra weight up top your handing becomes top-heavy dodgy.

A telescopic aerial might help, as I find the range is reduced when the antenna goes boing-boing-boing. Gotta stop it waggling…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.