Copper strand emergency!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I ve finally broken the 4 copper strands off the PCB :dead:

I ve looked at this photo. But I ve got 2 wires coming out of each side of the steering – 4 in total, and can t work out where they all go.

Obviously left and right go to L and R on the PCB – but where does the extra strand from each side go? I m pretty sure one of them was soldered to where the positive battery wire goes… maybe both.

It s a Compact Char-G if it makes any difference.

Participant

The extra strand(copper painted in black) goes to the positive battery (Red).

Participant

Just to clarify, the 2 black ones go to ‘positive’, one of the others goes to L, and the remaining one goes to R.
      If the steering is opposite after you connect them then reverse the L and R wires.
      Goodluck
      :)uA

Participant

generally i’ve found that ‘L’ on the pcb means the right hand coil and ‘R’ goes to the left coil:8ball:

Participant

Thanks everyone 🙂

Participant

This is turning into a nightmare. I’ve just snapped one of the black strands (down near the coil) – can I just unwind some more from the coil? Or does this mess up the steering?

… I did get to see it run on 2 cells for a few sweet seconds. And holy crap it was cool 🙂

Not a bad days worth of damage for someone who’s barely done any soldering before.

Participant

unwinding a few cm of the wire won’t affect steering. it’s only if you unwind lots like half of it that you mess it up. just remember to scrape a little of the enamel off the end you’re soldering:8ball:

Participant

Just to make it easier…
      When soldering fine enamelled wire, dont scrape the enamel, you just end up breaking the wire.
      Here’s how to do it.
      Put a blob of solder on the end of the iron.
      Push the new (unstripped) enamelled wire into the blob. It will resist going into the molten solder. As you do this ad some more solder to the blob.
      What you will find is that the fresh solder contains fresh flux, which is acidic, and this will eat away the enamel and tin the wire.
      After about 2 or 3 seconds the wire will be clean and tinned and you can trim it and solder it on to where ever you want.
      Its easy once you get the knack, easier than stripping and tinning a standard piece of wire.
      Goodluck with it.

Participant

aha! nice tip micro, didn’t realise that:smiley2::8ball:

Participant

Just look and learn my son, look and learn.
      And dont say I never teach you anything :smiley2:

Participant

yes paw!:approve::8ball:

Participant

😀 FIXED!

Thanks for the tips about the enamel – never would have realized I needed to do that. Took me ages to get those copper strands working – must have unwound about 1/4 of the coil (kept breaking!). But it’s all working again, and I got the extra battery hooked up. Dual cell is nutzo – totally uncontrollable and cool. Whoo!

I’ll have to get one of my lxx boosters fet modded soon.

Participant

aah!:) nothing like the feeling of a successful repair! well done, that’s one of the trickiest repairs to do:dead::8ball:

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.