cripple cap

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

just got my first gen-yoo-wine tomy ccg (yay!). these things s##t all over clones! any way i just want to confirm the cripple cap procedure. is this it in the pic below? if so, when i do remove it, do i replace it with some wire to bridge the gap or leave the gap alone?

:8ball:

barto_85
      Participant
      betty.k
      Participant

aah, thanks for that. i missed that thread. time for mod number 1!:8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

errr um betty, where did you get that pic from in your first post? That pic is ripped from my tutorial for this mod that barto has given you a link for.

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

yeah, i know!! i forgot that i’d read it before and ripped the pic for future reference, but didn’t include the tutorial!:blush:
      so yes it’s your pic, sorry if i scared you! (sometimes i’m a bit of a drip!:approve:):8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

nah that’s cool dude, I was worried that you had gotten it from somewhere else that had ripped my pics….

betty.k
      Participant

btw, i did the mod to the letter including enamelled copper wire and it gave me another meter or two on top of the 10 – 12 i had before. i also put a telescopic aerial on the tx, much better!:):8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

just don’t modify the range too much. U barely able to see the car when it’s 15-20M away from u.

betty.k: ph2t had a few excellent tutorials.
      There is the internal Dual Cell Mod. The DIP switch mod and of cource the cripple cap removal. So if u want get started on modify ur Bit. Read his tutorials first. It’s easy.
      And once u got the hang of it. Read micro_Amps MOSFET mod tutorial.

Edited by – leonli17 on 26 November 2003 00:28:38

Impreza
      Participant

betty, congrats on your first Tomy. You know there is no going back now don’t you:evil:

betty.k
      Participant

eeyup!! i’m already installing headlights and popped a 2.6 in it and i’ll be adding front suspension as it rolls over on my uneven concrete backyard. i sort of want to keep my new shell relatively unscratched, all my other clones are worn down to the plastic!!:8ball:

twizm
      Participant

you drive yours on concrete? i did that once and my steering needed tobe cleaned of all the metal shards. i usually drive mine on the tile bathroom floor, but with slippery tiles, stock tyres and a 3.0 motor, its a hard but fun task.

doesnt the standard CCG come with a 2.2? if so, how could you notice the power difference? unless the 2.2 has poor torque or vice versa, its hard to tell which is faster without a really big difference. (1.0-3.0 for example)

Edited by – twizm on 26 November 2003 11:14:01

betty.k
      Participant

the motor that came with my ccg was yellow. after comparing it to the tomy 2.6 i bought earlier (orange) i can estimate that the yellow motor must be a 1.0.
      yeah, i drive on concrete, got a huge back yard. i just remove the shards by blowing them away or with a little screwdriver. i usually don’t care about all the scratches but this is my special ‘pride and joy’ tomy ccg!!:8ball:

barto_85
      Participant

ohh really? the yellow motor, is definitely a 2.2, must be a dodgy one though.

betty.k
      Participant

yeah, it’s weak as pi55. even my stock shen is faster. aah well, that motor’s in the cat’s car now!:8ball:

peteWah
      Participant

what will that particular modif enable your car to do…
      and and my 2.2 motor that i got with my CCG WRX
      did not work to start with and now it dose
      even dgs said it was dead…
      i also have 2.6 motor which i cant tell the diff between the speed of the 2.2 and 2.6
      all i know is i want to go faster already i.e 3.0, 3.8, 4.2
      1.0 blue 2.2 yellow 2.6 orange and dgs knows the rest
      is that any help
      cheerbro: pcd79

trash
      Participant

Thanks ph2t, I hadn’t seen that thread either.

I just had a think about the capacitor and why it’s there. To put attenuation on a rxer isn’t a real clever idea unless you have problems with signal overloading. Even then it makes a lot more sense to attenuate the signal on the transmitter.

The capacitor on antennas is used for two reasons.
      One is as a high pass filter to keep low frequencies out like power line noise. The other and more important reason is stray capacitance.

The antenna wire forms a capacitor with anything close to it. It’s not much, but it is more than enough to detune the tank circuit in the radio.
      A capacitor in series makes sure than any stray capacitance is kept to a minimum.

So it is more likely that they had problems with de-tuning and added the mod as an improvement (sic). Does anybody know what the value of the capacitor is ?

ph2t
      Participant

Nah man, being a surface mount ceramic pkg there’s never any labeling for those critters!
      bugger!

ph2t.

trash
      Participant

Save them, because I can measure them if somebody cares to post me one.
      I suspect they are about 10pf. I’d sugesst measuring them yourself with a 100M resistor, but even then the cap is still too small. Unless you have a CRO.

betty.k
      Participant

so what are you getting at here trash? do you reckon a different cap could improve range or clarity?:8ball:

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.