Cripple cap on a later 35Mhz car (skyline set)

Home Forums Bit Char-G, Digi-Q and other Micros Bit CharG and Micro Radio Controlled – Technical Cripple cap on a later 35Mhz car (skyline set)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      RichT
      Participant

I got the skyline GT-R 3 shell set yesterday (on sale at HLJ- cost me about 7 pounds!) and it has very poor range. the batteries are new, but the car will stutter at around 1 metre. I got round to re-looking up the cripple cap mod (which I had already done a good while ago on an initial D set). on opening the controller up, I found the following.

The classic “crip cap”, a roughly soldered capacitor straight between L3 and R9 as shown on the site, is not present.

there is a capacitor that’s not there on the tech section pics , and it’s located between L3 and R9, but I can;t work out the elctronic connections on the other side of the board.

This is the only 35Mhz car I have, so I don;t know if this extra capacitor is a crippler, but in a neater installation due to being on one of the later original BCGs (In which case it’s snipping time), or something that’s on the 35 MHz controller and not the 27 (in which case it’s not).

ph2t
      Participant

Rich, take a close up photo of the PCB and post it and we’ll be happy to help.

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I took a cripple cap out of dgs73’s car and it added about 15 metres to the range

dgs73
      Participant

I have the History set you refer to, as does a mate of mine. Neither of us get more than about 2 odd metres out of em. (not testing them at the same time, of course!!)
      Cant wait to race that car, Jamie…!

RichT
      Participant

Here’s my 27 MHz controller for reference- a classic gen 1 BCG board, it came crippled, and I removed the offending capacitor. the PCB itself is identical to my flatemate’s 57Mhz (s2000) controller that was uncapped and unopened until today.
      27mhz.jpg
      Here’s the history set.
      35MHz.jpg
      the classic cripple cap is missing, but we do have an extra capacitor not on the older set. also there are 2 new holes on the PCB for it (ringed with a white oval) at the top end. the bottom end seems to attach directly the blue wire (arial).

RichT
      Participant

I just checked the old forums (didn’t realise they were still available). actually, the initial D set didn’t have a crippler, so the upper picture is of a totally unsullied PCB.

KingRX7
      Participant

what digital camera is that? it has awesome quality!

RichT
      Participant

It’s my fiancee’s fuji finepix a303. http://www2.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/a303/
      those pictures are at 25% of the original size…

L337_krew
      Participant

turn the circuit board around it might by on da other side

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.