custom front awd axle for xmods

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

the only thing i break these days on my xmods are the front awd axles. i just broke one too many and it was time for some improvizin .
      i grabbed a spare long front drive cup (rear will do too) and noticed the dimensions of the cup are the same as the “yoke”(?) on the awd axle. i cut the sides off the cups and drilled 2 holes for the universal joint.
      it all fit together nice and smooth so i cut down the other end of the axle and filed down a flat spot for the wheel. i made it so the axle is flush with the outer part of the wheel when it s all together.
      i have no idea how to make a threaded axle so i drilled into it and tapped a thread with a tough screw. so the whole assembly is held together with a screw and a washer.
      66229C7866229C79.jpg
      662493A566229C7A.jpg
      this setup is actually alot more snug and pretty much wobble free as the axle now fits the wheel perfectly. i ve already broken one but that was the first one and i went a bit too far on the filing. i ve made a better one and it s holding up well.

this gets me thinking, i might just buy some alloy cups and modify them like this. after all, the weak point is where the metal meets the plastic.:8ball:

micro_Amps
      Participant

Whos a smart cookie then :smiley2::D
      (How long before these come out in cnc alloy?)
      Another BK necessity driven invention.
      :DuA

betty.k
      Participant

funny you should mention that:smiley2: already got 2 sets awaiting arrival at my distributor!:p:8ball:
      70EE262B70ED8D48.jpg

ph2t
      Participant

wow! the first fully alloy drivetrain, cool man! who’s providing the hookup?

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

cj over at pimp city is getting some in
      http://www.cjshobbies.net/phpBB2/
      i’m sure it’s only a matter of time before they’re in rcmart.

once i get these babies installed i’ll be able to run with 1:10’s without a care in the world! in fact they would be wise to keep outta MY way!:D:8ball:

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.