custom iw02m

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      hakhawk
      Participant

hey guys, been a while… again. ive had the iw02m for a while now, and when i first saw it and the carbon fibre chassis you could get, i thought it would be cool to make my own, and i wanted to change to dedicated electrics aswell, just for the hell of it.

being the layout it is, allows for a fair few different ways to do things.

i bought some 1.6mm cf sheet and started playing about a month ago now.

i bought all the alloy parts for it, bar the steering tie rod(was going to make my own, havent yet)

electrics are as follows

iwaver 02 am tx
      esky 8g servo
      team associated TR203A rx
      LRP quantum micro reverse esc
      1300mah lipo battery
      atomic chili motor with plasmadash armature

this makes a pretty potent combo, im going to buy a speed checker next week probably, see how it goes.

chassis consists of 3 layers of cf, base, electrics base/battery cover and the shock mount and nylon spacers.

all the cutting was done with a drill press and a dremel, with files for cleaning up.

yesterday and tonight i decided to further mod it, so it could fit my old iw01 bodies on, the short wheelbase ones. i hacked up the front shock mount and drilled a few new holes on the base plate.

the esc and rx i took out of the cases and joined using some coated solid wire on the power wires for the servo plug. also attempted to remove the servo pins off the rx and use right angle ones, almost rooted the pcb doing that, but its working, so all good. also relocated the crystal so it lays flat. velcro holds the elecs down on the cf tray with a piece of plastic for insulation from the cf.

ok, enough rambling, pics time(128k upload, so bare with it :p)

elecs

100_9767.jpg
      100_3888.jpg
      100_3889.jpg
      100_3890.jpg

chassis

100_3693.jpg
      100_3695.jpg
      100_3693.jpg
      100_3696.jpg
      100_3697.jpg
      100_3698.jpg
      100_3699.jpg
      100_3700.jpg
      100_3689.jpg
      100_3690.jpg

fully loaded, ~170gm

100_3681.jpg

latest mod to fit shorter wheelbase bodies, ie. ferrari!!

100_3874.jpg
      100_3875.jpg
      100_3886.jpg
      100_3880.jpg
      100_3877.jpg

go grab a cuppa or something while the pics load, then come back and enjoy. feel free to harass me with questions

klims
      Participant

nice work! i’m amazed that it all fit under the cover! how does it drive?

how does the accelerate with the increase in weight? i get the feeling you might need to get a stronger motor…

hakhawk
      Participant

i weighed it against a mates stock iwaver with all alloy and plastic motor mount, and they were within 5g of each other. thats with aaas in his. so it should actually be lighter than a full alloy iw02m or very close.

drives pretty good, gets up and goes, but any jab at the throttle sneds it spinning. steering is very touchy. im going to make up a new tie rod sometime with a bit more toe in, see if that helps. unless someones got any ideas. it doesnt twitch at all, which is brilliant, and im getting huge runtimes with this battery

klims
      Participant

not sure what surface yout running on, but when i ran with foams on the front i had the same spinning out problem. changed to softest rubber tyres and noticed a massive change. i guess it just doesn’t have as much traction on the front.

hakhawk
      Participant

was running on asphalt at a supermarket carpark. nice and quiet bar the odd truck at the loading zone. im using atomic rubbers on the front atm(cant remember which number), but ive got some softer ones coming in a week or so, so will see how that goes.

messed around with making a custom front steering rod today, its now toe adjustable, though i think ill make a longer center piece, as i cant really get much toe out on current one now.

100_3891.jpg

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.