decisions decisions decisions…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      bithed
      Participant

…Which is better and why? The KT2 or the KT5? Do you use another controller? Do tell…

ph2t
      Participant

KT5 seems to have alonger range. But I hate the fact that it doesn’t have the two direction switches on the top like the KT2 has.

merc-blue
      Participant

for guys that dont know im 99% sure there talking about kyosho mini-z controllers

leonli17
      Participant

Everyone, KT2 is MR01’s stock controller and KT5 is MR02’s stock controller.

From what ph2t said, that means that KT5 doesn’t have steering or throttle reversing? maybe it’s because KT5 is designed just for MiniZ while KT2 was designed for other RCs as while. eg: 1/10

bithed
      Participant

…I will try to post some pics…ph2t menioned that the 5 doesnt have the steering and throttle trim knobs on the outside like the 2 does…the 5 has them tucked away behind a little door…Admittedly the 5 looks cooler but i prefer the weight and the feel i get from the machine when using the 2…

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh the 2 is really well ballanced in ur hand and stuff

kevsta
      Participant

I prefer the 5 because it has that throttle-a throttle-b knob adjusts the trigger. The 2 looks like something from star trek.

merc-blue
      Participant

lol the hitec agressor looks liike somthing outta star trek (first series) casue they used like match boxes and stuff for phasers

Geo-Z
      Participant

Very few of us Z’ers actually upgrade our transmitters…..the stock ones, KT2 and 5 aren’t that good. Pretty standard, and offer little in the way of adjustible settings all round.

Try an EX-11 or that newer futaba one with a back mounted screen…..really good control ;). Unfortunately, they cost an arm and a leg.

bithed
      Participant

…VERY TRUE…and its debatable if the Z platform is even WORTH updating for the REGULAR user…Someone like Jamie or ph2t i could understand the need for extra bells and whistles but for the average joe are they REALLY needed?

leonli17
      Participant

People even use Futaba 3PK for Zs which cost like $500AUD. It has more settings which helps racing.

dgs73
      Participant

sticking with the KT-2 I think. Feels the best when in use

Geo-Z
      Participant

leonli is right, Futaba 3pk > almost every other transmitter. Adjustable to the ass, stylish as hell, and high-tech. But yes, us Z’ers don’t really need it….there are cheaper ones like the older megatechs.

The old KT2 is fine by me, but most expert racers in HK and TW use Futabas, KOPROPOs and Megatechs…..

dgs73
      Participant

oh for another money tree… watering the garden tonight… (after 5 of course…)

PandaBear
      Participant

Most of the good computer radios are FM; MiniZs use AM 27MHz.

Some radios have replaceable RF modules and you can buy AM RF modules to suit a MiniZ. Modules are available for KO Mars, Sanwa M8 and (I think) Futaba 3PK… although I haven’t seen the 3PK one around yet.

bithed
      Participant

DSC03831.jpg

…This is the NEWER KT5…the batteries fit into the long base; 8 X AA batts…Its lighter than the KT2 (pictured below…) The antenna screws into the middle of the top…its right handed and cant be adjusted…crystal fits into the slot @ top right…The rubber on the wheel is slightly harder and not as sticky as the 2…SOME tuning options behind the little door on the left; I think steering and throttle trim…Cant remember which…ONE power light compared to 3 on the 2…Steering ‘degree’ in the middle just above the wheel…

DSC03834.jpg

…8 X AA batteries fit into the grip…3 lights…throttle trim and steering trim are the white dials on the left…Steering ‘degree’ (?) dial is difficult to see but just to the left of the TOP of the grip…Crystal slots into the BACK…

dgs73
      Participant

leonli17; gotta correct you there mate, the KT-5 came out with the later generation MR-01 as well, not just the MR-02. On what you said though, they (Kyosho) seemed to stop using the KT-2 for Zs to save on costs… by this I mean the 5 seems to be a cheaper finish, lacking some of the functions of its older brother (those reverse switches) Back when I got into these things I deemed that the majority of costs in the readyset box was (other than the electronics of the car) the controller. Noticed it did (and most cases still does) come with 1/10 scale readysets.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.