dialing in a mr01

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      shauny
      Participant

hey guys i have had my initial D ae86 mr01 for two or three weeks now, and i was wondering what is the best way to correctly get it to drive straight? i have upgraded to the thin kyosho Carbon fibre H bar and some new rims but other than that it is stock. but i try to get it to go traight and it just veers off one way or the other depending on where i put the trim off the TX. any help?

mocky
      Participant

make sure ur two front wheels spin freely first. then centre the trim on the tx to neutral for steering then centre the pot on the rx , this is done while there are batteries in the car so beware where u poke that screw driver. and then centre the pots so the wheels are pointing straight and from dere adjust it from ur tx trim, thats how i get it straight.

shauny
      Participant

thanks Mocky ill try that now and see how i go
      🙂

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

The stock diff is the problem, there is no way to rectify it without locking it up.

A ball diff will solve this and generally make the car much easier to drive hard!

shauny
      Participant

jamiekulhanek,

so if it drives staight for a little bit then it starts to turn after say 2 or 3 metres it is a diff problem? I might have to go and get myself a ball diff and some earings

dgs73
      Participant

like mocky sez; check how tight your wheel nuts on the front are (too much pressure on the stock bushes prevents the wheels spinning freely; one nut on front may be tighter than the other). This does not sound like a diff problem, as it goes forward for a while before going off-track. A ball diff will help the handling issues, but this sounds like it might be a problem elsewhere. Where in Oz are ya shauny?

shauny
      Participant

Hey dgs73
      Im on the gold Coast.
      it isnt the wheel nuts becuase they both spin freely for the same amount of time

Shauny

dgs73
      Participant

hmmm. Odd. Try adding a ball diff to the mix like Jamie sez, then see how you go. Bearings are a must have as well…

kevsta
      Participant

Usually the steering trim on the the tx does the job.

Another thing to check is your h-plate. Make sure it is mounted inline with your chassis and motor mount. If you undo the screws a little that hold the h-plate on both the chassis and motor mount, you can adjust it so that it is centered (or use a ruler to measure the distance of each rear wheel to the chassis).

shauny
      Participant

OK i will try the H-PLate thing once my batteries charge up

z-beam
      Participant

yo shauny are you mates with takata? im about an hour away from the goldcoast in byron bay…im heading up to palm beach today actually, where do you get you parts from?
      we should get together for some racing some day!

a ball differential is way more reliable than the stock one. and without bearings it is hard to get proper handeling from the car.

are you using a carbon h-plate? sometimes they can be difficult to get them to screw in evenly on both sides…

and finally what surface are you driving on?

Edited by – z-beam on 26 January 2005 12:13:40

shauny
      Participant

Hey Z-beam,

NO i dont no anyone on these boards. yeah when i get it set up and runnin properly we will definatly have to do some racing. i have been getting my parts from rcmart in Hong Kong and when i go back there this year hopefully i will stock up on parts, if i new about mini-z’s two months earlier i could of got them in hong kong while i was there on my last trip.

I am using a carbon fiber H plate it is the thinest Kyosho one, and it is sitting flat i double checked it.

finally at the moment i am driving on tiles, and also carpet in the house. i am planing on buying a track or making a track later on this year.

thanks for the help guys

Shauny

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

If you drive at a constant speed (try it slowly) the car should go straight, but as soon as you nail it it will veer off to one side…

A ball diff fixes this problem.

kevsta
      Participant

Also get yourself some soft compound tyres 20 degrees or less. Stock tyres on tiles won’t get you anywhere far.

z-beam
      Participant

i too ride on tiles and carpet at home, and you got to be care full about hair buildup in the front wheels and rear assembly. especially if there are long haired people like myself and my girlfreind in the house! everytime i run the car around the carpeted areas im garenteed ill have to strip down all the wheels and romove the buildup.

do you know about any rc clubs/tracks in the gold coast?

dgs73
      Participant

plus hair and carpet builds up between the motor mount and the diff plate… remarkable the amount of fluff that can be picked up in just a half an hour… 20 degree or lower tyres will help, but keep em clean and dust free

shauny
      Participant

hey guys thanks for the help. i have tried just going slow and at a constant speed but it will still go straight for a bit then veer off.

i have also tried the 20 deg tires all round and it dosnt help, and i have been cleaning out all the hair and stuff from my sister, and it dosnt make any difference.

No i dont no any tracks on the gold coast, at the moment it is just me and i bought my brother a s2000 mr01 for his birthday yesterday so now i have a race buddy. if i can keep my car straight! his dosnt do it stock.

Shauny

z-beam
      Participant

take it easy then, once the both of you set up some checkpoints (i find half filled 2 liter bottles of water good) to rac around you will find that taking it easy and in control ends up faster than letting the throttle out and loosing control (and then the time to regain it).

start with three laps and work your way up!

just remember that finding the right balance between speed and correct handeling takes a while! especially on smooth indoor surfaces:smiley2:

azza2000
      Participant

Listen to the guys about adjusting your diff. I had exactly the same problem and it was my ball diff being too tight.
      Loosen it up until the spur gear ‘just’ moves by itself while holding the rear tyres and giving it full throttle.

Worked for me

dgs73
      Participant

at this point azza, shauny still has a stock diff i believe… shaun; 01 S2K? In the old brown box? where abouts? Online or hobby shop? azza; try throwing some titanium grease in there, the difference is awesome.

shauny
      Participant

yeah its an 01 s2k but the box is kinda white with the picture of the kts pefex outlined in the background. i got it on ebay from a guy selling a closed down hobby stores old stock and it was at a reasonable price when i put my first bid down ($2) and i just wacked a huge maximum bid on to get it for him.
      i can post a pic of the box later if you want.

Shauny

dgs73
      Participant

no need, i know the one… white box… second gen.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.