DIY evil track dividers (+pix)

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

Last weekend’s project… designing Bit track.

Was at a loss of what to use for track dividers… had to look good, be easy to find yet it shouldn’t damage the paintwork. Yet we didn’t want racers just bouncing off the sides, that’s no skill.

We found something… “8mm thick urethane closed-cell foamrubber” (like used for mousemats). This stuff is EXCELLENT… we cut it into 1″ strips and lined the track.

Best part about it…. heh heh heh… when you hit it, it misses the body (Skyline) and catches the wheels instead. It FLIPS your car over!!! Amazing… here’s some slo-mo pix:-

Admin
      Participant

Fantastic stuff. Got a few Qs

• How much did the rubber cost you (per 1m2?)?
      • Where did you get it from?
      • What did you use to cut it?
        and lastly;
      • What are you using for the track itself? I need something that is smooth, will lay flat, and stay flat when put on rather thick carpet.
      • [/list]

Admin
      Participant

The 2 Skylines (Sky1 & Sky2)are talking:

Pic 1 – Sky1:”Here he comes!!”

Pic 2 – Sky2: “This is gonna be sooooo fun!!”

Pic 3 -Sky1: “He doesn’t suspect a thing!”

Pic 4 – Pic 7: Sky1 & Sky2: “BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!” (Maniacal laughter)

Pic 8 – Sky1: “Wanna grab a pizza?”

Admin
      Participant

mmmmm pizza……oh sorry what were we talking about………….so hungry!

Admin
      Participant

Try clarkrubber

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by hijukal on 01November2002

• How much did the rubber cost you (per 1m2?)?
      • Where did you get it from?
      • What did you use to cut it?
      • [/list]

Remember the old’thick’ mousepads? Yup, same stuff.

Real cheap. Probably about A$1 for a 1m strip x 1″. Cuts with anything – scissors, blade etc. Or if you’re really fancy you could get a special jigsaw for foamrubber. I was lazy and convinced the shop to do it for me, they have the special jigsaw…

You can buy ‘similar’ foam stuff in 1″ strips in different grades complete with self-adhesive backing at hardware stores. Dunno what they’re used for, probably surface protectors or something. Cost about $3-4/m.

Check out local rubber suppliers and hardware stores. They may even have offcuts you can grab for next to nothing.

Quote:

and lastly;

• What are you using for the track itself? I need something that is smooth, will lay flat, and stay flat when put on rather thick carpet.
      • [/list]

This is a hack track. :smiley9:Quik-n-dirty hacking!

Go ahead & laugh, but its virgin cardboard overlaid with thick A2 paper approx 120-150gsm. Used cardboard was a bit dodgy & lumpy so I cut up some brandnew big cartons instead. Cardboard was a bit dusty and left loose fibres so I glued the paper on top, keeps the tyres clean.

Total cost = 1 large gluestik.

Admin
      Participant

LOL!!!! IS that a pellet on a corner of a track?? a yellow dot? or is it just me acting strange:smiley4:

GT-ahh
      Participant

i think its a drawing pin, holding the rubber down…

PandaBear
      Participant

Spot on, eagle eye.

Here’s a helicopter view of the whole thing, during our ‘snowstorm’ race.

We had idea of (1) “what if we drove a white car on the white track” and (2) “what if everyone drove the same white GTRs”… thus “SnowStorm”… whatta bunch of silly gits. :smiley4:Nothing else will improve your driving concentration like this… but it still got a bit tricky when overtaking and after every corner pileup!!

Oh, we *also* had a DUMMY car… another white GTR… which would mysteriously appear on the track at times (you see it there, parked in ‘pitlane’). Heh heh heh…

GT-ahh
      Participant

lmao, u should make a tunnel aswell, then when u go in together u have no idea whos who…

PandaBear
      Participant

I was dreaming of building a ‘figure 8’ with a central tunnel crossover… but because its on the floor and there is a chance someone would end up putting his/her weight on the tunnel, that got too hard.

Maybe for MkII… if I snaggle the dining table. But on that racing night, the folks-who-must-be-obeyed wanted to have dinner on it. Hah, who needs eating? :smiley2:

Other consideration is… the std Bit finds it hard to climb gradients. The most we can do is about 50cm of ramp to rise about 3″, otherwise you’re gonna get a lot of “marshall!” calls. (We had a marshall armed with a 1m stick.)

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.