Do I want a Mini-T?

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion Do I want a Mini-T?

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Kerosene
      Participant

I moved to the country a few months ago, and reckon it’s time to get a dirt car.
      What are the stock Mini-Ts like?

Modelflight has them for $199 with TX and a spare battery, is this a good deal?
      http://www.modelflight.com.au/team_losi/losi_mini_t.htm

Are they any good out of the box?
      And what kind of (cheap) upgrades are available?

• This topic was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Avatar photoAaron.
      Keymaster

What abotu one of the new Toyeast 1/16th 4wd buggies? They’re Mini inferno clones and start at about USD65 + shipping

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Kerosene
      Participant

I hadn’t even seen them.. they look ok – but dunno how long they would last. 4WD would be cool though.

Pity TE don’t sell just the car without the TX.

betty.k
      Participant

you don’t hear a lotta bad press about the mini t, seems like a dependable rc.

there are of course many other options in the class now, mini lst, half 8, rc18t, etc etc.
      then there’s all the special editions, rc18b, half 8 st, etc:8ball:

Kerosene
      Participant

OK I’ve gone and read some reviews and checked out prices, and it’s down to the Mini-T or RC18T. I kinda want a Mini-T – but the 4WD and the extra speed of the RC18T is pretty tempting.

RCMart has the RC18T for apx AUD$290ish shipped.
      Dandenong hobby shop has the Mini-T for $199.

I gotta spend the cash before I waste it on petrol or food 😀

Is the RC18T really that much faster than a Mini-T out of the box?

Can I use a 2 cell lipo in these cars (with the stock esc)?

betty.k
      Participant

i’d stay away from the rc18t, ph2t had one and the gears were magnets for dirt and stones!:dead: :8ball:

Kerosene
      Participant

Hmmm.. plenty of dirt and stones here.

Yeah I’ve read a few bad things about RC18Ts (glitching, gear stripping) – but so far haven’t read anything seriously bad about Mini-Ts.

mr.micro.2u
      Participant

I have a Mini T pro and love this little beast. It jumps like my larger xxxt and i have just fitted a Graupner 300 and it pulls mad wheel stands. I mostly run mine indoors on a carpet track but have ran it on large outdoor tracks as well without any probs. I recommend the pro version because it has oil shocks, dual slipper, ball diff, CV’s and other goodies. ( But you will have to buy Esc, Servo and reciever). Mini T’s are great fun and very capable little trucks that will take a beating.

Kerosene
      Participant

Decision made: I AM GETTING A MINI-T! whoo!

I’ve got a Graupner 300 left over from a plane crash – hopefully it’s the same motor and I can use it in a Mini-T.

I’ve also got a 2 cell lipo (7.4v) that I’m not using – anyone know if I can I use this with the stock Mini-T esc? I don’t give a crap if I fry the battery, but I don’t want to hurt a new esc.

ph2t
      Participant

yeah, go the T or a Half8 (I just got one, yeah!!!!!!!!).

The 18T was good but suffered from a serious design flaw of have an open spur gear / pinion gear mesh. Got all sorts of crap in it. even xray’s M18T suffers the same prob.

the mini-t has a plastic cover over the slipper/gear setup so it’s much more resilient to stones and stuff.

Good luck Kero, hope to see some of your signature onboard videos mate!

ph2t.

sg219
      Participant

I would reccommend the Losi Mini-LST.

Its $200(USD) or less, RTR, 4WD, monster truck with dual motors and a synth radio/rec.

I got mine for $169 including S&H from ultimatehobbies.com. It was in the USA, but have a look there for any deals. I don’t know their policy for overseas shipping, but be sure to have a look.

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/

Its very durable so far. I’ve had a couple of minor problems, but Losi took care of them immediatley.

The aftermarket for the MLST is growing daily, by leaps and bounds.

I’m currently running a Spektrum DX3, Mamba-25 ESC, 6800kv Mamba, Eletrifly 11.1v 15c 1250mah Lipo.

However, you can do alot to a Mini-T too!!

Here’s mine…

Mini_SG_resized%201.jpg

Get the MLST!!:topstuff:

Kerosene
      Participant

I bought a Mini-T this morning (online)… might be here tmrw, but probably Monday.
      $220 delivered, with some extra pinions, ‘free’ battery, and some deans plugs.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I’ll be pretty happy when it gets here. :big:

kevsta
      Participant

Here’s a link to a spur gear cover that should stop all the crap from getting into an rc18t. A bit pricey… but think of all the gears you can save.

http://www.drivenpro.net/index.php?s=store&pn=101

ph2t
      Participant
      kevsta wrote:
      Here’s a link to a spur gear cover that should stop all the crap from getting into an rc18t. A bit pricey… but think of all the gears you can save.

man I wish they had that out when I had my 18T, I might of held onto it. the quicktime movie on that page is just mad!!!!!

ph2t.

Kerosene
      Participant

:big: :big: :big:

Arrived today:
      qsjexk.jpg

First impressions (with standard 4 x AAs) = pretty ordinary.
      But then when I put the 6 cell in it was a different world.
      Very happy with it so far. Graupner and lipo going in tomorrow.

betty.k
      Participant
      Kerosene wrote:
      Graupner and lipo going in tomorrow.

you’re gunna wet ya pants!:eek: :8ball:

Admin
      Participant
      kevsta wrote:

Why thank you.
      I might just have to invest in one of those for my RC18B

mr.micro.2u
      Participant

Just a word of advice Kerosene, you will have to modify the motor mount a little to fit the 300, a dremell is very handy. The 300 has a wider hole to hole distance.

Kerosene
      Participant

qxtra1.jpg
      I’d forgotten how much fun playing in the dirt is 😀

Well it turns out my Graupner has a bent shaft… so it’s (kinda) ok for my planes, but won’t work in the Mini-T. I can’t find any Graupner 300s locally – they were everywhere a few months ago when I got one for my plane.

What are the Venom Micro Fireballs like? I’m pretty sure they drop right into a Mini-T without having to modify the motor mount. But I’ve read some pretty ordinary things about them.

Graupner (from Dinball) or Venom from LHS?

mr.micro.2u
      Participant

I have not tried a Venom, but from what i have heard they are longer lasting than the losi pro motor but go about the same speed. The Venom has a steel endbell (as does the Graupner) where the Losi has a plastic (my original Losi pro motor lasted about 6 battery charges before it melted the endbell). The Graupner has a heap more power than both (and cheaper) but you have to modify the motor plate. You could always go brushless, never have to worry about changing motor again. Brushless are close to $200 AU though. Whatever you buy, buy more than one, you will need a spare.
      Cheers
      Paul

mr.micro.2u
      Participant

You might want to check if your speed controller/reciever will handle anything more powerful than the losi pro/Venom before you purchase the Graupner. I kinda think it would be on its limit.
      Cheers
      Paul

souljah23
      Participant

I have decided to get a TA 18B and would like some suggestions on upgrades to get with links please (rcmart preferred)
      I followed the link for the spur gear cover but OUCH! $44.50 US delivered is ridiculous. what is this cover like?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=144_621_843

What extra gearing should i get? i have found a range of spurs from 51t -60t and motor gears from 11t – 20t. I have little knowledge and would like to know some pros, cons please(school me). lol.

What about this TOPCAD bumper?
      http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=144_621_836

What batteries should i use?

Cheers,
      Souljah

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.