Do tires/gears/suspension really make a difference

Home Forums Bit Char-G, Digi-Q and other Micros Bit CharG and Micro Radio Controlled – Discussion Do tires/gears/suspension really make a difference

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      oxhadokenxo
      Participant

I ordered a LXX Auto Modellista and it came with a 3.0 and 3.8 motor and I bought a 4.2 motor and 200mah battery as well but I have no idea what gears, suspension and tires(tyres) it comes with, I’m guessing whatever comes stock on LXX’s (whatever it is). I’ve heard some people saying that with faster engines you need better tires or you’ll have a hard time controlling it..does it really make that much difference? I’ve never used anything besides stock tires on my Shin Qi Wei (spell check) so I don’t really know. What about suspension and gears? Do they make alot of difference? And what is the killer combo for a 4.2 booster engine..which tires which suspension and which gears do I need for a fast, yet controllable car.
      Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by – oxhadokenxo on 29 August 2003 12:44:17

DaveF
      Participant

gears make a big difference.
      tires make a little difference.
      no idea about suspension, though if it helps the car maintain solid contact with the ground, then that will assist traction, which in turn affects speed/performance.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yes, absolutely, they all make a difference.
      Gearing adjustment is needed if you have a winding track, tires need to be changed depending on the speeds you want to do around corners (to stop flipping), suspension helps more on the higher speed (and heavier) dual cell cars, and where the surface you are driving on is slightly rough.
      You will probably find your 4.2 is a little underpowered on a standard car, (better for a dual cell or fet mod car) but at the higher speeds I find the soft sticky tyres in the rear, and the medium to hard on the front allow high speed cornering and good traction.
      It takes a bit of experimentation, but the different hop-ups can make quite a difference.
      :)uA

z-beam
      Participant

every set up is personal, one of my favorites is high power gears,hard rear tires and med. ones in front. and a nice “pinky” motor to give it a bit of drift. suspension is highly recomended, especially if your running with stock which is pretty useless, the susp. set comes with a nice set of tomy med tyres too.

go all the way with spring suspension once you’ve got some experience, it is the ultimate if you get it right.

barto_85
      Participant

I think at least new tyres are needed, my mosfetted 2.6 spins with standard “medium” tires, i’ve been told that tyres fix this problem.

Mut1ey
      Participant

I find tyres and gearing make a difference.

Depends on what surface you run on, I guess. My track is MDF, so quite grippy as its not shinny.

Personally, I favour soft tyres all round, cause I like a bit of back end drift.

Gearing – I generally prefer the higher gearing (slower off the mark, but faster once it gets going). The advantage of this to me is that when I need to go slow, around chicanes and technical bit, I can do it, but once on the straights it goes like a rocket. Then the soft tyres kick in on the sweeping bends and it gets a bit sideways :D. I run 3.8 motors and this works for me.

Suspension I haven’t experimented with, so can’t comment.

Mutters

oxhadokenxo
      Participant

Are you saying my 4.2 motor is gonna suck in a regular car? I’ll probably end up buying some tires and gears..does anyone know if there is a place I can order/buy (like ToysRus) a tire and gear set in America…Airshipping is killing me! This http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000859RH/qid=1062165758/sr=1-22/ref=sr_1_22/102-6718553-3899310?v=glance&s=toys
      set comes with the fastest gears and hard tires and all suspension think that would work pretty good? I’m guessing the LXX Char-gs come with medium tires right? I really don’t want to have to order anything off the internet and pay air shipping from China. Also do the Zip Zaps gear sets work fine on the Bit char-gs?

micro_Amps
      Participant

The 4.2 wont suck, it will be quite fast, but accelleration is more ‘gradual’, it still winds up to good speed though. They are worth the money.
      Sorry, cant help on the US sellers, I’m in Oz(tralia), and we cant really buy them here, so the net is the go.
      Yes Lxx come with medium tyres.
      and yes, ZZ gears do fit the Microsizers/BitChar-gs.
      :)uA

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.