Does anyone have a voltmeter?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

I’d like to know what voltage is being applied to the motors of the booster cars. If anyone has a good (high impedance) voltmeter and a booster car could you test DC voltage when the motoris spinning the tires normally andthen whith theboost on. I would guess the best place to test is where the wires are soldered onto the metal plates that go to the motor (solder points behind the battery).

Thank You

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

I’ve got a voltmeter… but no booster cars!!!

Sorry.

Admin
      Participant

darn, i gots to get one. got booster but mo meter. b

Admin
      Participant

Strike 1 … Strike 2

Admin
      Participant

There are two voltage points, similar to non-booster cars. The low point is always about 1.3V and the high point is 3.0V in boosted state and 2.7V in non-boosted state. That’s not all, however. In non-boosted state it’s not a constantvoltage. Although the voltmeter shows it a constant, if you connect an LED to the contact in non-boosted state, it will flicker. Which kind of sucks. You should be able to see it with an oscilator but I don’t have one. I also took the measurments of the voltage going to the motor. I’m not sure that this is correct but it seems to be 1.3V for boosted and 0.7V for non-boosted. However, I’m not sure about these two measurements.

Admin
      Participant

THANK YOU XSRACER!

What do you mean by 2 voltage points? Where are you measuring? At the transistors?

When you tested voltage at motor was the motor out of the car and you tested the terminals or was the motor and wheels hooked up and spinning as you tested voltage?

I guess your LED trick proves that the motors are pulse controled instead of voltage controled.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

Look at the picture on this site:

http://www.mars.sphere.ne.jp/ex2/bit/1_custom.htm

The Vcc point has high voltage (actual battary voltage). But if you measure at the GND point on the bottom left corner, it will be electronically cut by half. This guy, who seems to know what he’s doing, says that it’s pulse controlled. But like I said, there’s a voltage difference. So either it’sboth or I didn’t measure incorrectly. However, since there’s a difference in voltage at Vcc between boosted and non-boosted state, I believe that some kind of voltagemanipulation is also involved. I measured it while the motor was out.

Admin
      Participant

I’m confident, after your LED hookup, that these are pulse controlled. When you measure voltage of a pulsed output with avoltmeterit will read rms (root means squared) voltage which is kind of an average. So your voltage read lower with boost off but it was really the same voltage, just in pulses.

-Peter

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.