doh my first battery set is wearing out..

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Fired up the car last night and noticed the running time was a lot shorter then previous.

At first I got sh*t scared thinking I’d damaged the insides when I was investigating the turning stuff. Put in a fresh set of batteries and noticed the recharge light came on a lot more brightly then then the other set i’d been using. So figured the battery’s are starting to wear out.

Lasted just under a week.. I’m thinking of buying a recharger and some recharchables, anyone got and ideas as to how much they cost and are they worth it? I’ve seen some big rechargers around for $30+ is it possible to purchase a small recharger that recharges just 2 AA’s and is smallish?

If it’s not worth it, what would be the best normal batteries to stick with for the car? I just used whatever we had in the house, which was a pack of 4 blue “General Purpose” AA’s but i’m guessing there’s better out there…

Shard

Admin
      Participant

Shard

I’m currently using the standard flavour Duracells. I’ve got about two weeks of pretty heavy use(*) out of them so far and the charge light is still shining brightly.

Hardcore users swear by the Duracell Ultras, but I haven’t had a chance (or need) to try them yet. Might do so next battery change.

If you’re going to go rechargeable, I’d recommend the 1500mAh AA-sizeNiMH batteries from Jaycar Electronics and getting a cheapo 2/4-cell charger from Dick Smith Electronics (Jaycar’s chargers are pretty exxy IMHO)

Most important thing is NOT to use NiCad batteries, as the peak current drain placed upon them by the fast-charger in the controller will kill them quick-smart.

Hope that helps.

Derek (DJ)

(*) It’s the #1gadget at my work at the moment, so it gets FLOGGED from 9am-5pm by anyone who can get his/hers hands on it.

Admin
      Participant

Oh…. just looked at the DSE website. They have the charger the same as mine (Cat. M9503) on special at the moment, with $10.00 off. Pretty good buy IMHO.

Cheers

Admin
      Participant

I’ve been using the Duracell Ultra’a for a while, not just for the Bit Char-G, and in particular with photographic gear, and I would have to say they are

fantastic!!!… Of course, as my old TAFE teacher used to love quoting all to often, “You pays for what you gets”…

Suffice to say, they are VERY good…

Admin
      Participant

Thanks guys, looks like i’m off to jaycar and DSE today :).

Shard

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.