Downtime! Is Enough Enough?

Home Forums General Chat Downtime! Is Enough Enough?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi everyone,
      Well here we are again with the website down again. The problem this time is with the DNS at the hosting and quite honestly I think it’s broken my patience. We’ve been putting up with timeouts and downtime for months now, and whiel it’s been better letely it certainly hasn’t been perfect.

What does this mean? It means I’m on the verge of paying out close to $2500 to get the site hosted on a far more reliable and faster server. It’s on a brand new server, being built to take on a limited number of sites with a support team that’s available to me 24/7….

I was hoping to raise this cash in the time between and April next year when our current hosting contract is close to up, but I think we all agree the current situation of time-outs and downtime is cripling us more than anything else.

So – now I’m asking all you members of ausmicro.com who have said they’d be happy to help out, to subscribe or donate to step up and be counted. Lets get the site on a new server, with reliability and stability we’ve been missing.

As a bonus the new server will also give us additional benefits I can offer to Supporting members….

A new hosting provider has been identified and they will do a deal for us, but it does mean walking away from money we’ve already spent.

Your thoughts, input and support are welcome.

To read more about our Site Support arrangements see http://www.ausmicro.com/site_support.asp

Thanks!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

micro_Amps
      Participant

I’m in, Aaron put me down for 20, I’ll be in touch with you shortly.

C’mon guys, lots of you have said in the past that you would be happy to put in for the service (and fun, info, etc.) that you get from this site, well nows the time to show your true colours.
      The site needs us, THE MEMBERS, to put in a bit to get it up and running the way it should be.
      Aaron is obviously doing HEAPS in his own time, and with his own funds, to keep this going for all of us to use at our whim. What a great guy!!!! How about we chip in and give him a hand so he can get this site running the way it should be.
      We are all sick and tired of the timeouts, well we have the power to contribute to make a difference and put this site onto a decent server where it belongs.
      So c’mon all of you, it doesnt have to be a lot, just something to show how you feel about the site and Aaron’s efforts over the last couple of years.
      I’d really like to see all the members with, say, 500 posts or more put in a decent donation (but not just them, everybody!), just to give a little bit back for the efforts that have made the site what it is today.

So what do you say, how about we show our support and chip in !!
      Aaron, put me down for 50 instead.

Edited by – micro_Amps on 16 September 2004 23:35:28

Racer9
      Participant

I would but I can’t. i have $20 bucks to call my own.

merc-blue
      Participant

if u keep you pants on i may have a bigish donation to the casue

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

/me always keeps my pants on merc-blue!!!!!!

But seriously, those members that simply don’t have the money, don’t feel bad.
      That means you too Racer9.
      There will be other ways you can help out in the future.

Bach to the topic at hand:

Most of you all know running this website, paying for extra bandwith does not come for nothing. It comes at a premium. In order for us to get back some of the many dollars we have put into the site we are giving you the opportunity to make a donation big or small to help keep the site running and to ultimately help to improve the member experience.

The cost of running the site on an ongoing basis is extremely expensive, web hosting, bandwidth fees, ongoing maintenance and new features to improve your experience as a member is very costly.

It is because of you our valuable members who continue coming back to the site which makes it all worthwhile.

Our dedication to improving the site for all and our ambition to make this the number one site on the internet is what drives us forward.

In return for you making a donation we will gladly add you as a “donating member” and your user ID icon will also change.

You have the ability to have a larger avatar on the site.

You also have access to the special Donating Members Forum (And no we are not telling you what’s in it!) 😀

You will also receive the ability to increase your own personal gallery within the Gallery.

We will also notify you first of special offers and news we have in the future. If you have made a donation please make sure that you private message myself or Aaron, and let us know your name and amount so that we can adjust our records accordingly.

We thankyou in advance for your genorosity and for being a part of ausmicro.com

Kind Regards,

ausmicro.com Moderating Team

TallduDe
      Participant

ummm next week ill throw some money towards the site.

but if the cost is 2500 right we need at least 106 subscribers?

when payday comes along ill throw some dosh count me in!

Keymaster

Talldude! Just remember you’re already a Subscriber – more is appreciated (and will make you a ‘Donor’) but you’ve done your bit for the year!

In theory yes about 100 subscribers would be nice, but I think the forthcoming project (which is covered in the Supporters Only Forum) will go a long way to helping as well.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

as kitty said, don’t feel bad if you can’t come up with any cash. we all know what it’s like to be young and poor!:dead:

BUT

if you feel like going above and beyond then bring it on! you were only gonna buy another ivory backscratcher anyways!:D:8ball:

Keymaster

Well I’ve put my desire to order an ivory backscratcher on hold and started the long and tedious process of changing our hosting arrangements.

It will be some weeks (or longer) before we can even consider making the move so all I ask is for patience as we build up to the point.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

TallduDe
      Participant

if i want to put more $$ towards the site how do i do it dude?

hit the subscriber button again?

Keymaster

Talldude, if you want all you gotta do is either hit http://www.ausmicro.com/banking.asp and xfer some cash or send using PayPal whatever $$ you like.

We’ll put it to good use on the hosting 🙂

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

Well after much deliberation, I have decided that my one remaining, unworn, in mint condition, ausmicro.com T Shirt will be auctioned for the new server!

Aren’t I great?
      Well a little bit good then?
      Mildly ok?

LOL

I will start a fresh post about it all, but keep your eyes peeled as these shirts were a limited run done a while ago now.

People that have a shirt already will tell you how cool they are!
      *hint hint*

And if we have enough interest, I ‘may’ be able to get more made next year.
      No promises though, you know how it goes…. make no promises, tell no lies!!

Cheers y’all!

Roe
      Participant

sweet, let me know when it starts & i’m in.

if u get more printed can I can get a *custom size 5 kids* i’m sure Tariq would love 1 🙂

peteWah
      Participant

Ausmicro is addictive and i have addivtive tendencys…

Do you want me to get a few prices on getting a run of shirts done in sydney kitty…

I know a couple of shops local to me and if you have the artwork to send to me its easy as how many people would like…

And again my dad is a graphic designer and has owened and run his company since before 82 so that makes for another few contacts on the shirt front…

Just a thought, Let me know:smiley2:

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

Well we have already had a run done here in Canberra, but if we wear our ausmicro.com T Shirts to MotorShow on Friday, y’all can come and have a look.
      peteWah: Always looking for ways to get things done better! 😀
      roe: Never know your luck in the big city 😀

So who’s coming to MotorShow?

PandaBear
      Participant

I swear there was sighting of 3 blue-sleeved Ausmicro t-shirts walking about Floriade 2003… :p

kitsune
      Participant

If you’re gonna auction it think about getting some autographs on it 🙂

Side note a few years ago I was at a scout camp selling canteen bandana’s (and abseiling 🙂 everyone wanted the black ones, so I set one aside and wouldn’t sell it, then at the end of the camp we auctioned it with the proceeds going to canteen, normally they go for $2, this one went for $100, Its amazing what people will chip in on auctions like that when its for a good cause, Good Luck

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.