drifting?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Hi I wanna know what do i ned to do to be ba;e to drift and when u do drift does little white smoke come out????

Admin
      Participant

LOL! (on the smoke question :smiley2:)

To be drifting with the Char-Gs you need the special drift axle/gear which is available in the GS-04 parts set (shown below in the top RH corner of the clear plastic section):

bitcharg_suspensionparts.jpg

To get white smoke while you’re drifting you’ll need to somehow feed 12volts to the motor and get it burning. You’re on your own doing that :smiley2:

Cheers

Derek

Admin
      Participant

what does this drifting axle/gear set do exactly? will it enhance the performance of my bit-charg?

Admin
      Participant

It’s a hard-plastic grooved wheels, on a standard-ratio gear axle. I don’t know about enhancing performance, but it sure is fun. I tried it last night, and it was like driving the Bit Char-G on ice–which was pretty darn funny to watch. Thank God my wife didn’t see me doing that on the coffee table, at any rate.

I’ll post some pics of it tonight over at The Admiral’s Lair.

Admin
      Participant

It kinda dumbs down your performance actually. Its grooved so that you get forward traction, but when you make turns you get drift action! Think bitcharg + powerwheels! Remember those?! Works best on slick surfaces like linoleum or a smooth desk! Loads of fun. Like zeroBXU said its like ice skating with bitchargs! hehe. There is a front end drift axle for bitracers (the one that comes with the cool looking white tires) but you need to do a mod to get it onto a bitcharg.

Admin
      Participant

so you really dont wanna do a race with that drifting set on right? since the bitcharg would probably spins out when you try to turn?

Admin
      Participant

It depends on the track surface and how good you are at drift-style driving. But probably not the best choice for a race.

Admin
      Participant

The drift axle is for joyriding. It isnt meant for racing. The hard tires on your front axles are great for racing at high speeds. The grooved hard tires kick butt with faster motors, esp the 3.0 and 3.8 motors. They dont matter as much with the slower motors.

Admin
      Participant

you said something about a 3.8???? please let me know if this is a typo and if not please tell me where i can get one. 🙂 Dave

Admin
      Participant

Click into the thread titled 3.8 and 0.5 motors for more info. Im gonna just go ahead and create a new thread as well, with info on how to get them. Ive been receiving lots of email about it in the past 48 hours!

Admin
      Participant

hey, by drift, u don’t mean just doing donuts, do u? cause it’ll do donuts real easily if u just take off the rear tires… but i’m hoping that’s not the case cause i already toldmydad to buy the drift set gs-04. and the 2.6 motor will work fine for it right? cause i’m hearing a lotta u say that a 3.0 or 3.8 is best on a smooth surface.

welcome to me =P

Admin
      Participant

Okay, folks. I did even better than posting a picture of the drift axle. I posted an MPEG. And it’s tiny! 270kb (less than some web pages I visit) It’s in the Downloads section at The Admiral’s Lair. And no–I don’t always drive like that.

Can someone please post if they were able to successfully download it? I haven’t had time to try downloading what I’ve already uploaded.

Admin
      Participant

ok thanx for hte movie, it worked perfectly fine. but i’m kinda disappointed cause i was expecting more like initial d style drift action around corners :smiley2:

Admin
      Participant

Well, it might just do that, if you had the right surface, but on a slick desk it’s just a “doughnut machine”. That was the 1.0 motor in there by the way.

And one more thing about the drift axle–it runs much better on carpet. I was chasing my cockatiel (Admiral Byrd the Bird) around with it. Unfortunately, the bird can fly, the carcannot. I should’ve gotten a movie of that!

Admin
      Participant

Great little movie, Zero!

TiburonGT – FWIW, I’m yet to be able to find a suspension/race surface/motor combination to allow me to do effective Bit Char-G drifting.

Each and every time I decide to have another go, I just end up spinning around in tight circles. But as Zero suggested, perhaps a tight-weave carpet or felt surface might be what you need.

Cheers

Derek

Admin
      Participant

It is pretty out of subject but i was wondering how zeroBXU, how did you get to have 2 stars and be a gold member? Just wondering. Dave

Admin
      Participant

I had to promise Derek that he could have my kidney, part of my liver, and three fingers if he was ever ina bad accident. Although I didn’t tell him, my liver can’t be worth all that much…

Honestly? I have no idea. If I had to guess, it was out of some sort of mutual respect between The Admiral’s Lair and AUSMICRO.com. Derek (and Aaron) and I were all in the “building phase” of our websites at the same time and I think that may have helped both sites a little (or, in the case of my site, it helped a lot).

either that, or it was my post count and the fact I’m trying to introduce him to “Cowboy Bebop”.

Admin
      Participant

Hey ZeroBXU,

I got my bitcharg to run circles at high speed in my bathroom sink / halfpipe last night! At the highest point of the circle (parabola?) on either end, the car is almost completely vertical! Like a wall ride almost! Its looked way cool anyway. If I manage to record it, would you post it?

Unfortunately, It only works in reverse. Because of the extreme transitions in the sink (mine is small), there isnt enough clearance in the front. Thats my guess anyway. Either that, or my rims are too big in front. I just recently replaced my front rims with rear rims, so that they match.

deejay40

Admin
      Participant

If you can keep the movie size tiny–like around 1.0 MB, it should be no problem. Maybe we can do some sort of “Bit Char-G Home-Movie-of-the-Week“…

Admin
      Participant

Coarse Sand(like the stuff used by train modelers) works with the drift axel better than say carpet or a hard surface. I just put those “vertical line” tires from the Bit Racer set onto the fronts so that they roll over the sand and not push through it.

Still, for the drift to work well… it seems a different material would have been better used for the rear wheels than that hard plastic they are made of. And there is not much of a weight shift in the car for it to drift like Initial D anime or even a computer racing game.

My best drifting…so to speak…is utilizing a sheet of acetate in the corners(w/Medium tires/Orange Gear/2.2motor)….and I throttle full deep into the corner, let off the gas while turning (which causes the car to slide sideways) then gun it again(while its still sliding)… it takes a little practice to do consistently, but I’ve done some cool corner slides and came out ahead in a race. And I’ve also had it done to me(they used me to bounce off of LoL) and came out ahead.

-Floyd

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.