Droop, Weight transfer, Ride Height !?

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion Droop, Weight transfer, Ride Height !?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant

I m confused on the droop screw scenario and was wondering whether anyone can shed some light on this topic.

From reading various web pages on the topic, people use them to lower the ride height of the chassis (which is what I ve done), whereas other people suggest not to use them to lower the ride height but to use the springs and the threaded shock preloads instead and that the droop is there for distributing weight transfer – (I m not sure how it would do this though, as the droop screw restricts wheel arm movement).

Other web articles also suggest that the droop screw is used to protect your shocks from over extending and blowing out the base of the shock.

I ve now made some adjustments on by touring car so that when the car sits on a level surface, that the shocks/springs support the car and the droop screws do not touch the chassis at all until the car lifts off the ground… hopefully this is the proper way… and the front and back of the chasis is level to the ground with about 6mm clearance.

Can anyone explain how it s suppose to work ? Or is it in the too hard basket and I should go buy the xxx main chassis setup guide.

Thanks.

🙂

mini-g
      Participant

you got it about right kev… the droop is used to limit the amount of up travel b4 the wheels lift. on bumpy tracks use more droop, on smooth tracks use less droop. droop also affects the ballance of the car. there is a lot more to it than that but it even gives me a headache sometimes. best to experiment if you want but dont give it too much thought yet, sounds like you have it pretty right for now.

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      you got it about right kev… the droop is used to limit the amount of up travel b4 the wheels lift. on bumpy tracks use more droop, on smooth tracks use less droop. droop also affects the ballance of the car. there is a lot more to it than that but it even gives me a headache sometimes. best to experiment if you want but dont give it too much thought yet, sounds like you have it pretty right for now.

Hey Big Dave, thanks for the reply – I understand it a bit better now… and will experiment with a few settings.

Hmm… limiting the upward travel would affect the weight transfer from front to back and back to front with diving and squatting.

Thanks !

😀

mini-g
      Participant

thats it…i really dont like to play with it too much, but need to experiment more for different tracks.

BIG DAVE

peteWah
      Participant

To each his own setup…:smiley2:

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.