Dual Motor Bit Char-g

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

OK, Here’s my idea. I’m going to modify a Bit Char-g for a second motor. I’ll have a second 2.2 motor soon. I hope to get acceleration about the same as my Digi-Q. But the real kicker is 3.8 Gear Ratio!!! That’s right. You get the Bit Racer Machine Set M-04 from toy east and it comes with a 3.8 gear ratio. I put this gear/axle set in my Bit Char-g whith the white gear (black one didn’t fit) with a 2.2 motor. It took 5 meters to get up to speed but WOW .. did it fly! I’m thinking 2 motors will help acceleration with these gears. I’m also waiting to develop the NiMH battery since I’ll probably need the extra battery life with 2 motors.

My worry is that the transistors on the circuit board won’t be able to handle the current needed for 2 motors but I guess there’s only one way to find that out. Put ’em in and cross my fingers.

Should be next week sometime. I’ll keep you posted

Oh, yeah. By the way, Hi everyone. This is a nice chat site!

I also thought (since I can remove front wheels off of axles) I might make a Bit Monster Truck if I can find some big tires on a hotwheels truck. All just Ideas for now. We’ll see how they progress.

mcojoc
      Participant

…. Watching with great interest….

:smiley2:

Admin
      Participant

So you took off some of the gearing, or extended the Bit Racer axel, then?(What did you use to do this btw?) As they won’t fit on stock Bit Char G’s without modification.

Just curious. AS I have the Bit Racer Gearing set. and would like to know the easiest/best route to take.

-Floyd

ps. How you planning on synchronizing the two motors, and where are you placing them?

One infront of the gear, one behind? I hope the difference in the push/pull ratio doesn’t hinder it more.

Admin
      Participant

I’m going to leave the original motor alone. The second motor will drive the same gear as the original but be mounted up and forward of the original.If you look at themid gear now the original motor drives it at about 2 O’clock. the second motor will be at about 10 O’clock.I’ll have to cut a little plastic around the middle gear and some plastic around the area between the motor and pc board but I think it will fit. I’m not worried about sincronization since they will be wired in parallel and both be spinning the same direction and spinning the same gear on a solid axle. Shouldn’t pose a problem.

The Bit race axle was easy to modify. You only need to lengthen the distance between the inner plastic thrust areas. Stick one wheel in a regular drill and chuck it only hand tight as not to damage the plastic wheel. Spin the drill and use a dremel to shave off a little bit from the non geared wheel inside face. You could use a sharp razor blade to trim it down and then put it in a drill and use fine sand paper or a nail file to make it flat if you don’t have a dremel. You don’t have to take off much but it should be flat and smooth sinch that surface mates up to the car around corners. Then it just snaps in. You use the two red gears and the white gear on the motor.

You’ll have to walk with the car or else it will get out of range before hitting top speed. You should also be using a 2.2 or 2.6 motor. the 1.0 is too weak to get up to speed.

Good Luck, let me know what you think. Imagine that speed with dual motoracceleration! I can’t wait.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

This might be real interesting for Drag Racing….

:smiley4:

Admin
      Participant

Prabbit

OMG! Dual motors?! Monster trucks?! I want whatever you’re on. :smiley2:

FANTASTICIDEAS! – as Mcojoc said, I’ll also be watching with great interest! WHoo00o0o0o0o!

Cheers

Derek

Admin
      Participant

Good luck Peter! Hope this becomes a reality!:smiley2:

Admin
      Participant

Thanks Suckabeast. I’m going to the hobby store again today so I’ll ask for sticker for you. As for tinted windows, I’ll see if they have any spray paint for that. I remember using pray on tint on my RC-10. It came in a regular can. I’ll pick some up for you if they have it.

Admin
      Participant

Reality schmeality. I’m doing it!!!!! Weather it works or not isto be determined but IT WILL BE DONE!

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

THANK YOU DEREK AND AARON.

This chat site is Awesom. I think I speak for all of us when I say THANK YOU for all your efforts on keeping this site up.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

funny, I cant get the white gear to fit with my bitracer axles! there is too much play betw them! I am running bitracer axles with the black gear and a motorola pager motor. the motor runs betw 2.4 – 2.6.

You can easily mod the bitracer axles with a sharp exacto knife/blade. just lay the blade down on the spacer at the appropriate place on the rightrim spacerof the axle, and roll it back and forth slowly on a mouse pad or sumthing, and slowly apply pressure. slices it right off! Then you just slice the loose ring you just created off with the exacto knife.

also, you can remove you suspension bar completely and replace it with springs from a japanese type mechanical pen. just cut the springs to size and slide them right on the vertical part of the front axles. (requires taking apart your front axle assembly.

hope you can pull off your dual motors! love to see that!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fly.one/charg/index.html

Admin
      Participant

I like the spring idea. I’ll have to try that. I’m guessing the springs go over the big diameter so the small diameter can still go through the upper hole all the way? Do the springs make the landing bouncy or what? I have some rather large jumps that require a soft suspension. With the stock suspension bar they seem to bounce too much and the small jumps the nose pops up. I took my stock suspention bar and shaved it down to extra soft and now it lands the jumps perfectly. Do you have any jumps that you’ve tried the springs on? Does it bounce much?

Here’s some pics of my jumps and Track.

http://www.geocities.com/pfabersac/bitjump.html

http://www.geocities.com/pfabersac/bittrack.html

-Peter

fitbmx
      Participant

I was wondering if you could just scrap the back end and use a motor for each back wheeland connect them directly to the wheelyou wouldnt have any gear problems but the back end would be super wide but you would have lots more power and the wheel would spin superfast because of the rpm of the motor would be the same as the tires.

Admin
      Participant

I have a feeling that would not even move since the cars rely on 12:1 ratio for torque now and they don’t really take off that fast. Compared to my Digi-q that pulls wheelies. Anyway, without Gears the car would take off way to slow. I put on bit race red gears that were 8:1 (I think somewhere sround that) and it took a good 15 feet to get up to speed. Nice for top speed but not good for racing around. Without gears at all I think it would take 50 feet to get up to speed, even with two motors. I think the 8:1 gears with 2 motors would do pretty well.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

The Bit Racer Gear set is as follows:

4.57:1(blue)

3.95:1(red) <

This one?

3.43:1(green)

Char G Gears:

9.86:1

8.25:1

12:1

Admin
      Participant

Yes, THANK YOU FLOYDSKI.Can you tell I’m terrible at remembering numbers. The red 3.95:1 gears are the ones I tried. I had to use the white motor gear since the black one didin’t reach the secondary gear.

By math you can tell the red gear set is more than 2 times faster then the standard orange gears of the bit char-g but like I said, it takes forever to get up to speed.

-Peter

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.