Extending Charge Time Mod

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Genspec
      Participant

Has anybody done the QFM mod #30, extending charge time by replacing the capacitor on a Compact controller ?

I modded my Bit controller last night and now it charges for about 75 secs at a time. Not actually the 90 secs that I expected but better than the original anyway.

I was hoping to do the same mod on my Compact and my Nanoracer(Fitracer) but the boards are quite different. If anybody has some clues or pointers on these, please let me know.

Initial D
      Skyline
      Castrol Supra
      Nano Celica

ph2t
      Participant

If you could post some photos of the circuit boards (top and bottom) of your other controllers I’ll see what I can advise.

cheers,

ph2t.

Genspec
      Participant

Cheers, I’ll try and get some decent photos this weekend sometime.

Initial D
      Skyline
      Castrol Supra
      Nano Celica

ph2t
      Participant

Just make sure the both sides of the circuit boards are clearly visible in the photos.

coolies,

ph2t.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Has anybody done the QFM mod #30, extending charge time by replacing the capacitor on a Compact controller? I modded my Bit controller last night and now it charges for about 75 secs at a time. Not actually the 90 secs that I expected but better than the original anyway.

Yes, it works ok. We had some pix on the old Ausmicro forum but looks like the hacker wiped that post off.

Change time is proportionate to the size of the capacitor you’ve swapped in, nothing too scientific there. If you want it a bit longer just put in one slightly higher uF.

The lost post had pix that showed how I just piggybacked a 2nd cap on to of the original one but also stuck a mercury switch so one could choose between 1x or 2x charge time.

Genspec
      Participant

OK,
      I’ve put them up at http://bitcharg1.netfirms.com

They may take a little while to load as I wanted to keep as much detail as possible.

No comments on the crappy layout please.:smiley2:

Thanks in advance for any assistance.:)

Initial D
      Skyline
      Castrol Supra
      Nano Celica

Genspec
      Participant

Just wondering if anybody may be able to help with this or should I give it up ?

Initial D
      Skyline
      Castrol Supra
      Nano Celica

micro_Amps
      Participant

In both cases Genspec, I would try doubling the larger capaciter.
      The nano’s 100uF can go up to 220 uF 10V
      The compact’s 47uF can go up to 100uF 10V.

If it doesnt work, just replace the originals.
      Be careful with the polarity of the capacitors tho.
      One leg will have (-) (-) (-) down the side of the capacitor. Make sure it stays on the same side when you replace the capacitor.
      Good luck, let us know how you go.
      :)uA

Genspec
      Participant

Cheers, will do.

Initial D
      Skyline
      Castrol Supra
      Nano Celica

Genspec
      Participant
      Quote:
      In both cases Genspec, I would try doubling the larger capaciter.
      The nano’s 100uF can go up to 220 uF 10V
      The compact’s 47uF can go up to 100uF 10V.

OK, I finally got around to doing this today. I checked the charge times before making any changes and the Nanoracer/Fitracer was charging for 75 seconds anyway so I didn’t change the cap on that one. The Compact was getting a charge of about 45 seconds with the 47uf cap. I changed this to a 100uf 16v cap and it increased the charge time to 95 secs.

My BCG gets about a 75 second charge after performing the mod from QFM, ie, replace the stock cap with a 47uf 16v one.

🙂

Initial D
      Skyline
      Castrol Supra
      Nano Celica

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.