FET Mod

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, ive just ordered a 4×2 stack of the mini Z FETS.

I think i pretty much know how to install them, you just connect them all in parrallel. But…
      Ive been reading that you need a extra wire somewere ?
      I tried searching but didnt find anything related, plus i didnt really know what to search for.
      Im running the X speed motor but plan on testing some other options down the track.
      Also do you guys think this is a good idea, bascilly instead of stacking up the FETS, you put them on a pcb thats made and is set out so they are all connected in parrallel then just run 8 wires back into the internal pcb. Just a thought.
      Thanks 🙂

Keymaster

Yeah that works just fine. I’ve never heard of any additional wire being needed/used.

Most people stack because it’s easy, and is a fairly well hidden mod with no weight gain etc 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

Did you get my payment for the fets aaron.
      I sent it yesterday at about 4 pm

Keymaster

Yup sure did – the FETs shoudl be with you today….If not you get a free express post pack 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

Got the fets today mate, thanx.
      They are alot smaller than i thought.:shock:

Participant

Ok, ive made my stacks but i dont know which fets to solder them onto the board ?
      And do i add the existing ones on the board to the stack ?

Participant

Ok after doing some research i found that i need to remove stock fets and i think ive worked out which ones to do… But i cant get the suckers off !!
      help me please 🙁

Participant

Get some copper de-solder braid or buy a solder sucker! You can get these at Dick smiths, Jaycar, etc,etc…..

My only tip is that you need to be VERY careful for how long you leave the soldering iron on the PCB. too long will cause the copper tracks to raise of the surface and trust me, you don’t want that, lol…..

Participant

Ok, i saw a movie that made it super easy to remove them
      Now i need to know how to remove the bloody black box, piece of crap is in my way !
      Ive got a solder sucker
      But i just cant get it off the board.

Participant

Ok i got it all together to find that its not as fast as it was and i have no reverse.
      I had to go out and buy a new iron today coz the one i had was just too big.
      But yeah my problem is that it isnt as fast as it used to be and it has no reverse.
      I have a feeling that some of the legs on the fet stacks arnt soldered on correctly.

Edited by – SausaGe_LinK on 25 April 2004 16:56:34

Participant

Something is SERIOUSLY NOT RIGHT mate, check all connections with a DMM.

Participant

Ive done that
      I think the fets are stuffed
      Because i had a crappy soldering iron that had a large tip they got really hot. I have a new iron now and i got them in easily after that.
      Ive tested all connections with a DMM and they are fine.
      I took the fets out and checked em then put them back in and one stack got so hot that it started to smoke… :sad::sad::sad:
      Is there anyone in melb who will install them for me if i get some new ones ??

Participant

talk to the king of all fets.. micro amps .. but i think hes pretty busy at the moment… also ph2t is meant to have decent soldering skills

Participant

where does ph2t live? i wanna get my z fetted but to scared im gonna fry the board.

Participant

Sausage, mocky, I’m in Melbourne fellas. If you supply the fets, I’ll be happy to solder them in for no cost. PM me if your interested…

ph2t.

Keymaster

ausmicro.com will provide the replacement FETs for no charge as well.

🙂

Can’t have a member running around with a dead Mini-Z can we!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

Your a top bloke Aaron 😀

Keymaster

Nah I just have sympathy for those who give things a go and don’t have things go quite to plan 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

hi there
      awhile ago i got my friend to purchase irf7389 from ebay from you

but he ended up getting the wrong thing because the pages look similar

he end up getting me IRL3705 FETs, IRF4905 P channel FETs

just wandering how do i use this on the mini z i have never seen these before????

and at the moment my car cannot go forward but can go reverse so im assuming my stock fets have something wrong thats y i needed the irf7389

so could someone help me soo me how to use these fets to get my car working again

thanks

Keymaster

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=174178#post174178

It covers the install of those FETs replacing the on-board type in Mini-Z and X-Mods…..

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

Or you could have got your mate to get in touch and swap them.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

so are miniz and xmod the same?

he did for the last two weeks to you i think or who ever sold these on ebay but no one replies so i guess im stuck with these now

well if it can be done same way as xmod on miniz then i’ll try it otherwise my badluck hehehehe

Keymaster

Well then he didn’t buy them from me becuase I’ve not gotten one e-mail requesting a swap. However I’m happy to take the discussion to PM.

Now on with the Fitment. The FETs used in the Mini-Z are the same as those used in the Xmod, well same pinout which is all you need. So simply follow the instructions for the xmod when it comes to how they get hooked up but use any of the threads here covering how the FETs are laid out on the Mini-Z boards.

If you don’t want to go down that path PM me and I’ll do a swap direct with you…

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

Wow, cool group. Never seen so many nice people willin’ to help eachother like that. Nice to see. This forum is pretty coo.

Participant

welcome downunder Jshwaa…..

🙂

ph2t.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.