fetmod+dual cell??

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      1Gamer
      Participant

If fet modding is suppose to push the motor to its limit doesn t this mean if I tried to dual cell a fet modded car it would be pointless? I mean if the motor is at its limit already surely the power from the second battery would have no effect. If anything wouldn t the car have reduced speed due to the extra weight from the second battery? Can someone clarify this for me? I just recently got into micro rc s and don t know too much.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

I have a duel celled Fetmoded car and its faster then just a fet car. BUT the car is very hard to controll I will say that for sure.

1Gamer
      Participant

Does it stay straight during drag races? or spin uncontrollably?

VooDooMafia
      Participant

Well I have really grippy tires on it so it stays strait for a bit but as soon as you try and turn it becomes hard to control.

I can now control the car as I have had lots of play time with it but as soon as the tires get some dust on them forget it.

betty.k
      Participant

fet modding gives all available voltage to the motor. the original transistors have a bit of resistance and therefore allow slightly less voltage through. so doubling the batt’s (and therefore doubling the voltage) makes the motor spin twice as fast. adding mosfets on top of this allows every drop of voltage to go to the motor, making it spin even faster.
      i’m not sure on exact figures for this mod, micro amps is the king of the mosfet! look through these forums for any of his posts, and at the bottom of his posts there’s a link to his fet mod website:)
      oh and welcome to the hobby and forums! i’m pretty new to all this myself. but just read through these forums, and visit some links and ask lots of questions and you’ll find it’s pretty easy to learn all you need and more. good luck!:8ball:

1Gamer
      Participant

thanks

zensx
      Participant

could it be done to a tri-cell, or would the pcb just fry?

VooDooMafia
      Participant

The fet mod would not fry the PBC on a tri cel I dont think but I am not sure the tri cell fet will show much differance then the duwl cell fet mod as you will run out of range before the top speed is reached.

leonli17
      Participant

Actully the Fet Mod let more current through. It doesn’t change the voltage. More current means more torque for the motor and that improve the acceleration alot. By doing a dual cell. THat double the rpm of the motor. so the top speed has improved dramatically.

A FET Dual Cell car will have both acceleration and top speed gain. And a Tri-Cell with mosfet will fry the motor pretty quickly unless u play with it only a few minutes and let it cool down.

A Tri Cell is really no point because the extra weight made the acceleration very slow. Unless u want to break the Top Speed Record of BCGs, there is really no point to do a Tri Cell.

betty.k
      Participant

i think leon’s right. here’s micro amps site:
      http://members.dodo.net.au/microamps/index.htm:8ball:

1Gamer
      Participant

What are the chances of a dual cell frying the motor?

betty.k
      Participant

you can fry a motor quicker with a dual cell but it doesn’t have to be that way. just make sure the motor doesn’t get too hot as when they, and most electronic components, reach a certain temperature, they die. just monitor the motor temperature and allow breaks in between runs so the motor can cool down.:8ball:

1Gamer
      Participant

so whats the average time to play with it and the breaks without risking overheating the motor

1Gamer
      Participant

hey voodoomafia how long do u usually play with your dual cell fet?

peedee
      Participant

who does FET mods on ausmicro and how much they cost???

betty.k
      Participant

as i mentioned before, micro amps is the fet mod king. this is where you find out about getting it done
      http://members.dodo.net.au/microamps/index.htm
      :8ball:

twizm
      Participant

the motor shouldnt be over heating if the heat sink is there, and if you are using a dual cell, or FET mods, you should be using an aftermarket heat sink to keep them cooler (if they actually cool by 250% like toy east says). with my 3.0 motor running non-stop, my engine doesnt heat up at all. i plan to buy the after market heat sink, purely for the bling bling of the gold :D(and cause im gonna FET/dual cell one of my clones)

leonli17
      Participant

Trust me. Not matter what heat sind u have. A dual Cell car can make the motor go very hot after 10mins of playing. Not to mention that add a Fet mod which will increase alota of current through the motor.

And there is no average play time for the car because different motors. Just to keep check the temperature of the motor. Normally i won’t play for that long. I use FET and Dual Cell only for draging which only take about 3-4 sec per run. It’s hard to race a dual cell car (even internal). Add a Fet Mod and the car will flip alot. Or if u lucky, u might flip back onto 4 wheels and just keep driving.

twizm
      Participant

after seeing all this, i doubt ill end up doing either, there isnt much fun having a drag race bit and no one to drag race with.

ill just stick to my 4.2 motor 😀

betty.k
      Participant

i tried a dual cell once, but i didn’t like it. the speed was too insane and it kept flipping over all the time. that’s just me though, i’m happy enough with my 2.6 bit and enertec micro racers:8ball:

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.