FETS Mod

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 14October2002

I have some cheap motors from dick smith that I thought would be good for hand winding the coils. They would probably draw lots of curent and have lots of go. But probably blow up the esc.

If you’re keen on handwinding, check out the guys overseas who make custom 130 motors for their Mini4WDs. You can buy loose cans/rotor/wire etc to do it yourself… but yeah, the standard ESC’s FETs won’t even handle Tamiya’s hotter factory motors.

Admin
      Participant

Why did kyosho make such a crap esc?
      When a car hits an obstacle, the sudden load makes the current soar for a fraction of a second ( a 540 motor might draw over 200 amps) so I think with a hotter motor you could risk blowing your esc a number of ways.

BTW pandabear. I have an old tamiya grasshopper that I am restoring. It’s not a really good car, but i spose it’s ok. It originally had a stock standard 400 size motor, but the other day my dad gave me a kyosho mega motor. (14t Double wound with variable timing etc.) I havent driven this car in 9 years, will it be too hot for me?

PandaBear
      Participant

Jamie:- stock Grasshopper (I or II?) is a Mabuchi RS380, but any 540 size will bolt in too; think you might need some different screws, pinion and remove the 380’s cover plate on the gearbox too.

Not 100% sure as I’m not a big GH fan. I haven’t pulled 1 apart before, I only go straight for Hornets (no 380 in these).

The stock mechanical speed controller should be able to take the load, just don’t drive too slowly for too long – go play in a big place. A 14t-dub should give it some serious go though!!

btw, if you have a GHII then you’re in luck. You were asking for a new chassis, weren’t you? The chassis should be the same as the SuperHornet; I visited our LHS last weekend and they actually still have 1 spare chassis for SH… think they were asking A$25 or so.

If its not a GH2, then sorry – the GH1is totally different, even different front arms. It only looks similar, but not interchangeable.

Admin
      Participant

yes its the grasshopper 11 with rs 380. It has a bracket to mount the 380 but the 540 will bolt straight on.
      By the way i have a mosfet 50A controller. The 380 gets the resistor mighty hot so the 540 would kill it.

PANDA PLEASE I WILL PAY FOR THE CHASSIS AND POSTGE AND ANY TROUBLE I REALLY NEED IT PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE.
      Also can u find a battery cover?

I have completely pulled the car to pieced and cleaned it alll relubed it and used plastic polish to buff it up. The whole thing is being scrubbed to death.
      I am spraying the body signal green, the mags gold…and im not sure but i want to paint the springs bright orange, will the paint crack off?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.