Finally building a Quad

Home Forums Floating & Flying – Discussion Finally building a Quad

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Yep.

Finally building something to fly – and unlike my previous playing with micro-scale helicopters I’m diving right into the deep end and building from assorted parts a 250mm class quadcopter/drone.

Aim is to park fly a bit grab video for personal use etc – and get the hang of these things before either building another with full autonomous (drone) functionality. Likewise adding the FPV gear.

Attached are pics of the primary parts I’ve ordered. So far grabbed stuff heavily discounted from http://www.hobbyking.com and been reasonably happy with everything that has arrived. Massive learning curve ahead!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

it’s like totally a thing! hobbyking is definitely the place to look or if on a budget check out banggood.com, good prices on a lot of racer and fpv stuff. don’t cut corners on monitor equipment, go hard on the hi-def stuff, you’ll be glad you did! :8ball:

Keymaster

It’s been a tough learning curve. I haven’t touched much/any Radio Control in ages and everything has just come so far. You remember back when programming the radio gear meant “sticking in a Crystal”? Well now it’s all this fancy micro-controller and 2.4Ghz voodoo magic. I’m not complaining. Really.

Anyway how’s the build going?
      I assembled the basics of the frame. Then discovered the props in the motor set were too long. So I re-assembled the frame. It does have two options for the deck positioning. This is letting me work out the final wiring plan because I want to make it neat – at least once.

I’ve subsequently sourced smaller props, but will keep the underslung design as I think it looks kinda cool as well.

I’ve grabbed 4 spare sets of props (Thanks to a Hobbyking deal I scored them for like $0.31 a pair!)

Bit the bullet and programmed the latest “Steveis” Firmware onto the flight control. Went flawlessly so pretty happy about that.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.