finally got an 02!

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

yep, believe it or not i never tried an 02 chassis. but i”m glad i did!tongue.gif

started out as an iw02subaru from the ausmicro shop but i wanted to exploit the mm capabilitiesof the chassis so i made some changes.

iwaver wide wheelset

ausmicro bb”s

3 racing h plate, diff and cambered knuckles

pn racing mm motor mount and s04 motor

kyosho oil shock (no spring), ol pcb, servo saver (stock one was glued!)

firelap mclaren body

woah nelly 1.1

the whole centre of gravity thing is a dream in this setup! only thing i need to work out is the right tyres, i”m trying out a set of the gandini powerfoams that ph2tgave me at the moment.

the firelap body is really nice, not autoscale nice but considering what it”s about to suffer that”s not an issue for me!wink.gifwhat is an issue for me is strength and the firelap bod is a 1 peice shell, no separate window. this will make it more durable than the kyosho. i had an iw gt40 bod which was a 1 peice and it was unbreakable! in fact, it broke whatever it ran into!dead.gifthere is also a nice vent in the roof that will help cool the motor, i opened it up a little to allow more air through.

so for all you kiddies out there wondering whether to get an 01 or an 02 chassis the choice is clear! get an 02! iwaver or kyosho. the mr015 is a nice try, but forget it. just buy the 02 damnit!

why are you not buying an 02 yet??big.gif8ball.gif

Edited by – betty.k on 04 August 2005 20:47:02

betty.k
      Participant

‘i’d like to thank my sponsors……’xp1700.gif8ball.gif

betty.k
      Participant

the bits that won’t get scratched……… muchwink.gif8ball.gif

Keymaster

Very nice. Glad the wheels suit it…. I had a couple of options and grabbed those ‘cos I thought they’d look neat with the silver.

The irony is the ausmicro.com project ’02 will look pretty similar on the surface…. Under the skin will be a little different.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

i’ve long since upgraded my iw into an mr. it’s all kyosho apart for the aftermarket stuff, the electronics are steady as a rock.

i’ve got it dialed in for my concrete/tarmac surfaces which aren’t too technical so i favour a little understeer.
      i like 3deg camber on the front knuckles, the tyres would wear on the outside too much with anything less. it’s currently sporting some 2deg alloys sliding on 3racing kingpins, got some gpm 3deg’s coming.
      the atomic dish rims up front are flawless, spinning true after a lot of abuse. they’re wearing 40deg kyosho tyres, i’d like to experiment a little more with front tyre choice. gandini foams ar too grippy, i was getting traction rolls in fast corners. the rubber allows a little give which stops rollovers but creates understeer.
      strangely softer tyres grip less than harder ones on my surfaces.
      there’s a .5deg toe in tierod there to help with the understeer.

3racing ball diff pushed with a pn racing s04, 9t pinion. this isn’t a really hot setup, batts and motor just get warm never hot. i could probably push it up to a 12 – 14t pinion if i wanted but i’m happy with the speed. it clocks 34kph on the tamiya checker and it’s pretty close to that on the ground with wads of torque to spare.
      the gandini foams are the best on the rear. i’ve been experimenting with the different compounds (hard, med, soft) and they all grip brilliantly. the softer ones wear quicker but no faster than the rubber tyres would.
      (i go through front tyres faster than rear foams)
      kyosho oil shock just for rear end damping, no spring. the hplate gives me all the spring i need.

nelly 1.0, nuff said.
      i initially had poor range and major glitching. so i added a 470uf electro cap across the power terminals on the nelly. problem solved.
      and that’s my patented “boomerang” (crikey!) shock mount i made from scrap pcb. i thought it was silly having the overhead mount, it’s more prone to flex and the shock is still mounted in exactly the same place as before.
      i think my design is simpler, stiffer, cheaper, therefore smarter!

betty.k
      Participant

since i started using the atomic f.r.p. (fiber reinforced plastic) t plates i haven’t looked back. i get the hard mm ones and use the hard spring in them. they’re just as, if not more durable than cf hplates.
      i got the idea for the motor cover from ph2t. i just used plastic packaging, cut and bent to shape and held in place with double sided tape. it stops metallic stuff collecting on the motor which happens a lot outdoors.

and finally, i’ve grown quite fond of the mclaren body for it’s looks and wheelbase/track. the blue one is a kyosho autoscale bod, looks pretty but breaks easily.
      i gotta say, if i was buying it for a display piece i’d be dissapointed. the exhaust pipes are a little crooked and some of the decals are terrible up close. but i’m gonna smack the piss outta this one so i’m happy!
      the ronald mcdonald looking one (which i call “big mac”) is an iwaver bod. it’s plenty strong, thicker plastic and one piece body/window design.
      i’m driving the whole thing with my futaba 2pl tx which isn’t much of a big deal but i just bought a pretty new wheel for it so feel the bling! 😎

all in all this is a killer rig, everything it needs and nothing more. race me with it and you better get used to being lapped (just ask ph2t!:smiley2: ):8ball:

TallduDe
      Participant

got rid of all the iwaver stuff dude or it break off? hahahahaha

anyway looks good!

betty.k
      Participant

well i already had an mr02 pcb and i broke one of the kingpin towers so bit by bit i replaced broken/worn/stupid parts with the good stuff.
      there’s a huge gap in quality between the iw and the mr, about the same as the price difference:8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

and you’re driving!

mahuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh!

I got my new saleen shell today (thanks again A!), so I’m ready to kick ur arse, AGAIN!

Keymaster

Ahhh excellent 😉 The iWaver/Firelap bodies have really come a long way haven’t they?

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

did some more upgrading:smiley2:

got a kyosho skeleton chassis, according to the description it’s purple. that’s the pinkest purple i’ve ever seen! makes it look like some sorta weird miniz candy!

i got a set of the atomic chrome finish rims for the front so they match the gandini’s a little better, they look great in person.

i’m trying out 30 degree kyosho tyres on the front now, they seem to give me the right amount of grip and slip. coupled with the gpm 3 degree alloy knuckles i can hold a faster corner now.

i also lashed out and bought a full titanium screw set! the weight saving is minimal (1.2 g), i just wanted something fancy!:D
      so then i bought a topcad hex driver set so i didn’t have to stuff around with allen keys.

but wait, that’s not all!

picked up a futaba 3pk with a 27mhz am module so now i’m in total control!:topstuff: :8ball:

nismotuningrocks
      Participant

looking really good man im just getting into the mz scene and tryin to get out of the xmod scene but again looks really sweet

betty.k
      Participant

mo’ money mo’ money mo’ money:D

just borrowed ph2t’s hudy micro tyre truer. i had some atomic rear rims that i wanted to put foams on (alloy, plastic white dish). and i got a bag of gq rc products foam donuts for z’s.
      103200.jpg

the truer is a breeze to use, i had 4 tyres mounted and trued in under 10 minutes. you just gotta use an adequate power supply, at first i tried using a 12v plug pack but it didn’t have the current to spin it fast enough. so i used 2 x 7.2v stick packs in series and it was all systems go!

so now i got me matching alloy rims with my tyre choice all around.:smiley14:

i was also breaking the front body clip too often so i got an atomic alloy one for mclaren bods. fits well and does what it’s supposed to.
      foamalloy3.jpg

jimmy
      Participant

sick sick sick mad car mate

ph2t
      Participant

lol @ jimmy with the uber late comments. Bet Bet you still got the car? I’m thinking of a reprise of the concrete racing “schedule”, lol….

betty.k
      Participant

yeah, she’s still sitting on the shelf. got a good inch of dust on her though! i reckon she needs the cobwebs blown outta her;) :8ball:

Renton
      Participant

better late than never

how do you all find the quality of Atomic parts?

ph2t
      Participant

ATM parts are generally good. I’ve had some bad luck though with a few parts, but that was 1.5 – 2 years ago so I can’t remember what parts they were! lol….

betty.k
      Participant

all the atomic parts i used on this chassis were great quality, i recommend ’em:smiley16: :8ball:

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.