Firelap 04 for an 8 y/o

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      f.r.o.g
      Participant

Hi People,

I’m new to this 1:28 stuff and was wondering if the firelap 04 and a bearing kit is a good start for my 8 y/o son. He didn’t have much luck with the Kyosho Alpha 3 nitro I’m using.

Planning just to use 4 AAA nimh batteries in it.

One last question also, are the bushes hard to replace with bearings.

Cheers,

f.r.o.g

Kerosene
      Participant

I reckon any of the iwaver or Kyosho 1:28s would be an excellent choice for an 8 year old.

Bearings are easy easy easy to fit – but I personally wouldn’t bother on an 04, especially if your son is going to drive it around in the dirt. You might want to consider some alloy bits for the 04 to make it 8yo proof – although mine has stayed together just fine with the standard plastic bits.

Keymaster

The trucks shoudl be fine. Sure they can sometiems break due to abuse, but realistically they’ll be a lot of fun. My experience is that bearings are always worth it, although they could be left until you find out how much the child enjoys the toys. Likewise the alloy stuff.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

personally i’d start him off with a cheapy from dick smith’s or a toyshop. when it breaks you can let him pull it apart and find outwhat’s insidebig.gifi’ve found that it’s not until they’re about 8 – 10 years old that they can understand the concept of steering and throttle at the same time. most young’uns don’t even care that it’s rc, they just wanna see it go!

once you go through that process with him you’ll have a good idea of where his mental development is at. and how much passion is burning within!

having said that i’d definately recommend a kyosho mini z madforce. kids love the look of them, they’re bouncy and can do wheelies!!! coooolness!xp1700.gif

bearings in my opinion are a must no matter where you drive. and the parts most people break are the shock towers. just replace them with alloy when they eventually go.

good luck with it all, nothing beats the look on their faces when they see these toys in action!cool.gif8ball.gif

z-beam
      Participant

for the size and price frog, id grab one first and see if the kid likes it first. if he can control it well and you want to have more fun with him, grab a second one for yourself so if hes got a friend over they can race together. from what ive heard the 1/28th monsters are quite rugged and can take the knocks. just keep the jumps scaled to the vehicle and you should be fine (in other words stairs, tables and roofs are pushing it). i regularly take my overland for walks, i coan imagine a monster would be even better at handling off road situations.

because z’s are so cheap compared to other larger rc’s its easy to get all you need for some freindly competition going in the garage, loungeroom or yard.

also the size makes it a bit easier to set up a track, just tear out some paths in the lawn in the backyard and build some small jumps to have some fun on. nothin like getting your hands dirty with a perpose.

having a single rc at home to just muck around on is one thing, but having a second vehicle thats evenly matched in size and speed makes for way more than twice the enjoyment.

f.r.o.g
      Participant

Hi People,

Thanks for the feedback. I already own the firelap and bought a bearing kit and more batteries than he can use so will see how goes.

Cheers,

f.r.o.g

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.