Firelap 4.0 – go faster

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      aussie_miniz
      Participant

Hey all,

Just installed a pn anima engine and spider turbo, not bad, but I want more speed, I don’t really want to change battery setup, perhaps a spur and gear set? What do others suggest?

peteWah
      Participant

Dig out part of your gearbox and wack a 15 tooth pinnion in it :D:smiley2:

peteWah
      Participant

Ask ph2t who has done a 14 and 16tp hack or go look for the topics under the mini z technical forum… :smiley2:

aussie_miniz
      Participant

I know ausmicro sell alloy pinion gears for the motors, does anyone know who sells the gears for the gearbox??

Regards

aussie_miniz
      Participant

Ok,

I am now thinking about a lithium setup, the spider and pn anima didn’t give me the performance gain I was thinking. Can the spider handle lithium batts? Anyone got a good source for lithium batts, all going in the firelap4.0.

Regards

Admin
      Participant

Hello Auzzie

You should defenately go for the Li-po 7.4v 2800mA batery. I have the GPM V2 Turbo, which is worst that the spider turbo u got and can handle the Li-po batteries. So defenately try it and be sure that once u press the throttle all the way down the Firelap will scream its way around.

also make sure to install the alloy/metallic bearings, they make a diference.

Leonidas

aussie_miniz
      Participant

Harvis, thanks for the info.

Do you know where I can get those batteries? I have installed metallic bearings, should I also go for the alloy diff setup??

Regards

peteWah
      Participant

What alloy diff setup, Try asking Aaron for particular parts as he is a wiz when it comes to finding them and knows alot about monsters period….

aussie_miniz
      Participant

Harvis,

Are you sure the spider can handle this, in the userguide that Aaron sends out, it says a max of 6v. 4 to 5 cells. Not sure I should be adding lithium batts to it, has anyone done this??

Regards

peteWah
      Participant

should be fine. this Question has been asked before

read this please. http://www.ausmicro.net/v3/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2458&FORUM_ID=13&CAT_ID=4&Topic_Title=my+7%2E4V+li%2Dpoly+madforce%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E&Forum_Title=Mini%2DZ%2C+Mini%2DX%2C+X%2DMods+%2D+Technical

And then what happened 😀

4×1.5=6, ;What…

Good luck…

aussie_miniz
      Participant

PeteWah,

Already read this thread, the nelly uses a 5v regulator where the spider(as far a i know does not) to my knowledge the pcb can handle 6v, if i am to plug a 7.2 or 7.4v li-ion in I want to make sure the spider protects the board, or do i need to install a 5 or 6v regulator as per the Nelly. Has anyone used li-ions with the spider??

Regards

aussie_miniz
      Participant

another quick one, can anyone tell me the max volts a pn anima motor can handle, also the amps.

Regards

betty.k
      Participant

only the nelly deluxe comes with a regulator8ball.gif

Edited by – betty.k on 25 November 2005 14:45:46

peteWah
      Participant

From Aaron’s mouth, I am not the Author…

So.

The “Spider” can handle up to 20v so that’s not a problem BUT your stock Mini-Z board is deigned to run at a MAX of 6v (4x AAA 1.5v Cells) and typically runs at 4.8v Pumping in 7.2v will likely cause problems with other components.

You are best off running a small regulated supply of 5v for the board if you go LiPo. ph2t is working on (around baby production) on a version of the Whoa Nelly that offers a regulated supply etc to run with LiPo installations safely.

Also if you’re considering going for more voltage than 7.2v (14.4?) you’ll probably want to investigate using motors built for 12v not the “stock” style voltage ranges. PN make a pair of 12v 130 class motors that could be very interesting.

Hope this helps…

Dont tell me you have seen this already, LOL :smiley2:

Keymaster

Pretty much as what Pete posted. The Spider is OK to about 20v, but in the electrical sense the Mini-Z board designs (iWaver or Kyosho) aren’t. And the boards need to drive the FETs properly to give the best results.

If you provide a regulated 6v to the board (yes 6v regulators exist) and run 7.2v LiPo/Lion packs it will work, just watch out for Heat.

Honestly you should be able to get satisfying performance on 4cells (add a 5th cell if using rechargeables if you really want some more punch) twiddling with gearing etc…

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.