FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH A WHOA NELLY

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Hey all,

Everybody knows that upgrading the FETs or Electronic Speed Controller in a mini R/C can do wonderful things. It lowers electrical resistance, which means more current will flow, making stock motors faster and more torquey, and allowing “hot” upgrade motors to be used.

Traditional FET Stacking was previously the most popular, but takes a fair degree of skill, time and patience, Not to mention it is high risk stuff!!

The Dawn of a new Era….. The Whoa Nelly! Turbo!!!

Offering performance far superior to FET stacks, and at a fraction of the cost! This neat package uses ULTRA low resistance FETs to achieve high current flow capabilities and miniscule heat dissipation, as traditional FETs heat up (as they do!) the performance sags, “turbo lag”, which makes acceleration much less instantaneous.

I recieved my Whoa Nelly 1.1 in the mail from ph2t, it was very well protected, which sets my mind at ease of postal damage.

The unit itself passed the eye inspection, and looked well built, and of course, well designed.

Installation:

Installation didn t go as smoothly as I had hoped, due to the XMOD being a strangely built car. Actually soldering in the Turbo was the easy part.

Removing the old FETS and soldering on the “Whoa Nelly” was a piece of cake, just solder the signal wires to the corresponding pads, the power wires to the battery holders, and the motor plug to the motor outputs…..

Feed the wires up through the PCB s, so they come out just behind the motor mount, make sure they DO NOT get doubled up under the bottom PCB or the PCB won t sit flat, possibly interrupting the driveshaft.

And assemble the chassis……..Then you re done!!

The fruit:

I tested this in my XMOD with a stock plasma dash, and was very happy with the results, the power was good, but more cells and hotter motors would really show the true colours of this fantastic machine.

The temperature during the test stayed very low, and lag was non existant!!!!

Conclusion:

This is a MUST HAVE if you are serious about performance, It s easy install and unparalleled performance make it worth every cent.

Available for Mini Z, I Waver, XMODS etc. it s very versatile.

My overall rating is 9/10 for the Whoa Nelly 1.1 so do yourself a favour and order one from ph2t!!

Charlie Brown
      Participant

Damnit jamie, now you made me want one. I wonder how much a W.N. costs…

Did you get the motor mount version? If so, how did you go about mounting it, did ph2t include a plug to solder to the motor?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

around 25 US + postage i’d say, but don’t quote me.

I dont actually know which one mine is……and i dunno what u mean about the plug.

kevsta
      Participant

Will there be a version of this in plug ‘n’ play format like other external turbos ?

The reason is that I would like to run a turbo only on days that I can have a drag with young Timmy and have the flexibility of running stock on other days on the track if you know what I mean.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Excellent, suggestions!!

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant

I dont think you could make a plug in and play setup with nelly, as you are using the control logic that would normally control the old fets but now controls the new ones.

Tim
      Participant

Let me talk about my first experience with Whoa Nelly. Well when i first got it out of its well packaged box i installed 5 batteries to it and whacked on the front wheels,king pins and etc. back on. First test with Neo magnets 7t Plasma Dash it hit about 36km/h i think it was not bad then i whacked on a 9t it about 40km/h approx. then the monster 12t i got from ph2t it hit 58km/h w00t big difference i tell but the batteries die out pretty fast:dead:

Funny thing was when i tried the 12t and i hold the throttle both the rear wheels flew out and hit me in the face LOL but no damage was done to me or the car so i had to glue the wide rear wheels back on so it won’t fly no more. The weird thing is with the 12t the speed varies alot sometimes it would hit ranging from 52-58 fresh and dead batteries :question:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

who else wants to lose their whoa nelly virginity??

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Before Whoa Nelly, I was an unattractive micro rc nerd, girls wouldn’t talk to me (other than in court for ANOTHER restraining order), I couldn’t ride a bike, and life was getting me down…

But look at me now, now I have a LXX-z that pulls over 30 kays an hour, all that other stuff still happens, but now I don’t care…

Thank you Nelly, and thank you ph2t

betty.k
      Participant

nelly transformed me from a 97 pound weakling into a 97 pound weakling with a bitchin’ turbo!!:D:8ball:

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant
      Quote:
      Before Whoa Nelly, I was an unattractive micro rc nerd, girls wouldn’t talk to me (other than in court for ANOTHER restraining order), I couldn’t ride a bike, and life was getting me down…

But look at me now, now I have a LXX-z that pulls over 30 kays an hour, all that other stuff still happens, but now I don’t care…

Thank you Nelly, and thank you ph2t

haha thats the funniest thing i have read all day! 😀

Pork_Hunt
      Participant
      Quote:
      nelly transformed me from a 97 pound weakling into a 97 pound weakling with a bitchin’ turbo!!:D:8ball:

‘ken AYE!

Charlie Brown
      Participant
      Quote:

I’m a 180 pound fatass, I wonder if W.N. will make me a 180 pound fatass with one damn fast iwaver Mini-Z! 😀

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

132lb weiner with a whoa nelly turbo and a horrible noisy XMOD……c’mon merc, i need them parts!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.