First time painting a 1/10 Body.

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion First time painting a 1/10 Body.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      leonli17
      Participant

This is my S15 body for drifting only(so it won t get wrecked from racing). Also custom painted the rims as well. It has Yokomo Drift Tires on it at the moment.
      Took it for a run at the track today, man the thing looks great going sideways!!!

20041262221039102.jpg

200412622223868183.jpg

200412622245538899.jpg

betty.k
      Participant

man, that thing looks great going nowhere! you’re turning into ausmicro’s best kept secret!:smiley2::8ball:

MiniKing
      Participant

Very nice dude……the S15 is my dream car and i was prob gonna do that body next for my drift car……iim gonna do one full D1 Japan spec my friend does vinyl graphics for cars so he is gonna make me up all the proper stickers and sh*t……I just have to decide which body to do……..AE86,S13 Sylvia,Series 6 RX7 or a S15 Sylvia…….mmmmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions….!!!!!:D

merc-blue
      Participant

thats hott leon.. also if you want a new antenna tube i got a few.. name ur colour blue or green. because that current one is totaled

PandaBear
      Participant

Looks beaut, Leon!! :smiley16:

micro_Amps
      Participant

Looks good Leon, very tidy indeed, well done.

TallduDe
      Participant

looks real good!

kevsta
      Participant

That looks very nice.

Is that the 200sx pro-line shell ?

I’m going to have to tackle painting a shell soon, any tips man ?

leonli17
      Participant

MB: thanks for the offer, i know who to ask for when i break my antenna.

kevsta: the body is a HPI S15 SIlvia. Lessons i learned from paint with polycarbonate is definitely spray thin coats and have alot of coats. too thick and they will go weird, especially for metalics. Other than that, just have fun on the first body. experiment a little:smiley2:

mini-g
      Participant

one thing that helps the scale look is to do the inside(do’e) black after all the other colors… hides the inside a bit better and looks a bit more scale. but other wise very nice body dude.

BIG DAVE

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Wouldnt the black kinda show through a bright colour like yellow?

leonli17
      Participant

if u paint black under yellow, the yellow will become kinda poo yellow colour.:dead:

z-beam
      Participant

looks great leonli!

mini-g
      Participant
      Quote:
      if u paint black under yellow, the yellow will become kinda poo yellow colour.:dead:

um no…if your worried about it showing through do silver then black. did my last touring body mostly white with black behind it and you cant see anything. all good.

BIG DAVE

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

If youre gonna apply 3 layers of paint, whats the point?? Just adds more weight!

mini-g
      Participant

yes jamie but when your going for a scale look a tiny bit of weight is nothing. the look is worth it:)

BIG DAVE

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah but mini-g one crash and ur pretty shell dont look so pretty ne more… plus some of us have to add lead to get our cars to legal race weights so extra paint in the body shell just means less lead

MiniKing
      Participant

Yeah big dave is right the black inside wont show through unless you havent completley and evenly coated the inside with your main colour….ive coated all my bodies inside with black and looks good and never shows through my RX8 body on my nitro car is black inside(see my gallery)and it does give it a scale look…..it doesnt greatly affect speed as thats the body i ran on my car when we speed checked it and it was flyin……:D:D:D

mini-g
      Participant
      Quote:
      yeah but mini-g one crash and ur pretty shell dont look so pretty ne more… plus some of us have to add lead to get our cars to legal race weights so extra paint in the body shell just means less lead

tell me about it i had to add 70grams of lead to get my tc-3 leagle for a race cause i was running foam tires.

BIG DAVE

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

The great thing about adding weight is that you can add the weight where you want, making the car handle the way you want.

PandaBear
      Participant

Being sloppy with paint is probably the worst place to add weight to any racecar – all the weight is “up top” and adversely affects roll & handling.

Metallic paints are usually heavier than solid colours too.

If you need to add weight, add it as low as possible – below the level of the axles, on the chassis usually. Most ppl use the stickon lead blobs used for alloy wheel baancing, can buy them from a tyreshop.

icebreaka
      Participant

mini-g I’d like to see a gallery of ur 1/10 cars sumtime please.. :blush:

peteWah
      Participant

I will even lend you a Camera, So many cars to see…

mini-g
      Participant
      Quote:
      mini-g I’d like to see a gallery of ur 1/10 cars sumtime please.. :blush:

yeah so would i…:smiley2: take you up on that camera pete. and panda mate we are talking about show body’s, not just for racing for shells. and a extra coat of paint does not weigh that much anyway….unless your coat’s are 3mm thick:D i dont think so…

BIG DAVE

peteWah
      Participant

As for painting advice, Nice even controlled strokes> Dont cake it on there…
      Like i did the first time around :smiley2::D:D:dead:

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.