First time soldering

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

I tried to solder a battery circut to make lights on the bottom of my tomy rc car and the little lithium 3.0v battery exploded in my face i guess it got to hot or something. it was pretty expensive for just a little firecracker. someone please tell me how to solder good i thought it would be easy then boom in my face

Chewy
      Participant

The only way to learn to solder well is with practise. Keep the end of your iron clean, and don’t use too much solder. Oh, and be carefull when soldering batteries… 😉

Admin
      Participant

Yes, batteries + too much heat = BOOM!

Chewy’s right about keeping the tip clean.

Use a high wattage iron like 65 or 100. Use rosin core solder or buy some flux (pase or liquid is fine). Let the iron heat up to full temp. Melt some solder on the tip. If you have flux, put a little on the battery where you’re going to solder. If you don’t have flux, don’t worry about it. Now, touch the iron to the batteryand push some solder between the iron and the battery while moving the iron around in a small circular pattern. Keep melting solder on until you have a big bead of solder then stop melting solder but keep the iron on the battery. Keep moving the iron around in a circle for a few seconds. You’ll know when the solder sticks properly because the bead of solder will no longer follow the iron around, it will stick to the battery instead. If it doesn’t stick after about 10 seconds you should probably stop and let it cool down before trying again. If you pull the iron away and the solder is stuck to the battery but looks like a round bead then it didn’t stick, it’s just the crystalized flux holding it on, you should be able to break it off by hand. Try again!

-Peter

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.