found a great way to meet the neighbours…

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion found a great way to meet the neighbours…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

…..drop an rc heli in their yard!:D

it was dead still out, wind was barely a knot.

man i was soaring that sucker good, i had it a good 70m high above my yard. it was all under control, nice tail in hover, had my corrections in check.

i was doing so well i failed to notice it was gradually getting alot higher but at the same relative angle.

by the time i noticed that the motors were barely audible it was a good 100m up, but about 2 houses over! the wind had picked up slightly, just faster than my heli’s wind speed! she was gone and going and all i could do was watch!! :smiley5:

until i ran outta radio range and she fell like a brick, somewhere that way!

so long story short, met a few neighbours, got a tour of their yards.
      *knock knock*
      “um, this is gonna sound strange but….” :smiley4:

so 3 yards and 2 funny looks later i hit paydirt, blipped the throttle, heard the whine of the motors then a thud as it fell out of a tree! 5m from a swimming pool! 😯

the aerial wire was completly wrapped around the rotors, broke the boom (again) and busted a skid.
      amazingly that’s it! even the rotor blades are completely unharmed!

as you can tell by the parts bound with enamelled copper wire & superglue the damage is nothing i can’t fix, i’m just amazed that;

a) i found it again! and
      b) after dropping from 100m that’s all that happened. :8ball:

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

all part of the fun..

the Dragonfly 36 heli I got here hasn’t even been 7m off the ground yet.

Another way to meet neighbours is to go introduce yourself haha (yeah I’m an old fashioned country boy at heart).

BilboFOL
      Participant

At least you aren’t in America.

The neighbors would have taken the copter and then sued you for harassment. 😀

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

hey we’re working on it over here 🙁

BilboFOL
      Participant
      Dangerous Dave wrote:
      hey we’re working on it over here 🙁

Don’t you let them.

Maybe it’s time to expell all the personal injury lawyers from the country.:beer:

klims
      Participant

that sounds like a pretty sturdy chopper. what kind is it?

betty.k
      Participant

it’s a colco xrb lama, got it off ebay for $160.
      it’s 1:28 scale too!

i’m just lucky a tree broke it’s fall, would have been much worse otherwise! :8ball:

klims
      Participant

would you recommend it? i’d like to get a heli, but im still not sure which ones are any good.

whats the lipo charger like? i’d like to do a lipo conversion to my mini z sometime, so it might work out alright.

betty.k
      Participant

i’m not sure i’d recommend this particular heli for an rc noob, it required some fiddling to get it to fly right.
      but as a result i know it inside out now and greatly increased my heli knowledge doing so.

i would recommend this design for a beginner though, the counter – rotating blades make it very stable compared to a real heli. i’m finding it a good heli to learn with.

so if you want no hassles then buy a brand name cr heli like the twister bell or one of the venom range.

the charger is just a simple plug pack type deal, it’s pretty much matched to this cell. but it works well. :8ball:

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

I started off with a Walkera #36, but I’d recommend one of those suggested by bk, as I’ve had a very steep learning curve being thrown in the deep end lol

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.