Front Spring Mod

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Super Max Power
      Participant

I have bee looking around for some springs small enough to use on the front wheel bars of the BCG s.
      The only spring I could find is out of a mini Bic lighter (there is one under the flint and one under the red thumb bit). The one under the red thumb bit fits perfect when cut in half.
      The only problem is the spring is a bit too hard for me.
      Has anybody had luck with other springs?

micro_Amps
      Participant

I’ll let ph2t answer this one, he is the spring king. If you ask nicely he might even fix you up a deal as well.
      :)uA

Super Max Power
      Participant

OK ph2t it’s all yours…

betty.k
      Participant

if you’re looking for improved handling and aesthetics, then wait for ph2t’s reply. but if you just want improved handling, replace the sway bar with flexible plastic and put something where the sway bar was attached. a little blue tac on top stops it moving around. there’s a pic in my gallery ( hopefully!) of this mod on a enertec micro racer. i first did it on a bit clone and it works brilliantly. and you gotta love the price!:smiley2:http://members.ausmicro.com/memberview.asp?user=betty.k

micro_Amps
      Participant

The front springs do work well. By the way, the new ZipZaps (1.0 and SE) are now being sold with spring front ends.
      I think ph2t had a thread in ‘For Sale’ re the front suspension springs.

ph2t
      Participant

Sorry, fellas. Missed this thread originally.

Here’s the link to the spring mod:

http://www.ausmicro.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=506&FORUM_ID=9&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Home+made+suspension%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E&Forum_Title=BCG+%2D+Technical

If you want I can send you some prepped springs or just give you some tapes and you can mod the springs to your own specs..

:approve:

ph2t.

Super Max Power
      Participant

I have found the perfect springs for the front suspension. AFX slot car pick-up springs. They are the perfect diameter and not as hard as the BIC lighter spring. They can be a little bit soft, but if you stretch them out a little bit they become a bit stiffer.

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

I also get springs, but I get them from disposable cameras. I just go to a photo development store and ask them for their used cameras. There’s a spring inside by the lens. Sometimes it under a peice of metal. Be sure to take out the batteries and discharge the flash capacitor first or you might get a bit of a jolt. I usually pick up a whole bag full and pick through the different ones for the copper springs that wont effect the magnet. They fit on the front suspension perfectly. You do have to trim of the end and stretch them, but I don’t mind because you can stretch them to different degrees of springyness.

Super Max Power
      Participant

What brand camera do you find are the best?

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

All kinds, but the occasional ones dont have good springs. Kodak and Fuji film are pretty good.

Super Max Power
      Participant

I got some disposable cameras today but all the springs are tension not compression. Not to worry though I have the guy in the shop holding more cameras for me. I have some plans for the spring I did get, more on that later…

micro_Amps
      Participant

Interesting idea….

betty.k
      Participant

super max, if you stretch those springs you will turn them into compression springs.:8ball:

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

Yes, stretch them. Take your time though. I mean do it slowly, a little at a time. If you stretch them too much, then they wont be usable. You can always cut them, but I’ve found that using half the spring, with less total coils (this is with any spring) can interfere with steering. Also, stretch two at the same time. That way you’ll have two equal length springs for one car. If one spring is more springy than the other, then it may effect performance.

Can you tell I’m a bit of a perfectionist?

Edited by – HACHI-RYOKU on 07 November 2003 09:52:53

Super Max Power
      Participant

I am with you there Hachi – I was thinking of a way to test my springs so I would know if they had the same compression and rebound rates. I am still looking through my physics text books.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

ph2t has good spring ideas or what about using HO scale slot car springs?

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

All good ideas. I say wichever is the most effective, accessable, cheapest and easiest method for you.

OK Supermax, you are definately more of a perfectionist than me. You win the perfectionist award.:D Although, you could just use the spring to shoot things through a tube. That way, you could see if two springs will shoot something the same distance. If one spring shoots an object farther then it probably means it’s stronger.

Super Max Power
      Participant

I have checked out how to get equal spring rates.

Start with one spring – we need equal spacing between coils, equal material rigidity and equal wire diameter. Cut it to two equal lenghts – but first read below.

Rule: The spring rate is constant over the central 60 percent of the deflection range. Good to know as we want a constant spring rate.

On a Tomy Bit the gap is about 5mm – so we need a spring 6-7mm in length. This will place the spring inside the central 60% of deflection through the whole range of travel for the front wheels.

To get a stronger spring you need:
      Bigger wind diameter
      Bigger wire diameter
      More active coils (If stretched out less spring rate)
      More rigid material

In conclusion, try springs form different sources until you find one that suits your driving style. But remember they must follow the rules above to give a constant spring rate.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

cool supermax but really on bits you dont want the springs the same. You will notice that your cars turns better one way then the other. By having one spring alittle longer it will even this out.

Super Max Power
      Participant

Yeah sure, I agree.

After all my exact measurments and anal retentive craftmanship I still find nothing beats trial and error – even if it means I can’t have perfect symmetry.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

Well its a pain but worth it in the end for sure.

merc-blue
      Participant

ive seen guys replace the sway bar with flexible materials and that seems 2 work for them.. eq thin styrene like the packing of a bcg.. or one guy went 2 clark rubber n got them 2 cut him one made of some special plastic

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.