Front wheel drive bit…..

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

I had just finished a pullback wheel mod the other day and was stuffing around with the car on my floorboards and was generally happy with my mod.

I’ve always toyed with the idea of the car being flipped around and going in reverse and steering with the rear end. You have all probably done this and noticed that the car (with normal tyres & rims) turns way to sharply and isn’t really accurate in its steering.

This steering response is also dependant on the surface you are driving on. With carpet it’s usually a too tight a turn and the car flips. On a more smooth surface the car spins out on the turning axis and usually ends up doing a 180 for the smallest click of the steering buttons.

So with all this as a background I’d thought I’d give the idea ago again with the pullback modded car. Wow! The steering actually works and suprisingly it works rather well!

The pullback mod I’ve done is the fullsize pullback wheels on the front and rear so I think with this change the rear wheels which are now steering grip the surface better. With better grip the turning circle is now more consistent.

I’m gonna mod a chassis and test this throughly. This is not really a mod for everyone but with polished floorboards as my main driving surface it works well for me.

To achieve it I guess the following changes would be needed:

1) Flip the motor wires.
      2) Flip the steering wires.
      3) Mod the chassis to lower the “new” front end and raise the “new” rear end.

There is probably going to be issues with this mod but I’d thought I’d get some ideas going. Has anyone seen this mod done before? Any comments & suggestions?

Ok, here it is then:

This is the test subject:

z_pullbacks.jpg

pullbacks.jpg

And here’s some video of it in action. In Divx format of course.

http://www.prahranpianos.com/bit_g/front/front_drive_final.avi

As I said earlier, not too shabby on the handling. More work to be done though. Might add lead weights under the rear wheels to help steering, possibly add spring suspension, we’ll see…..

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 01 October 2003 09:04:25

barto_85
      Participant

nice, it looks like it handles better than your previous drifting video.

Keymaster

And here I was thinking you’d knocked up some mini CV joints and were on the way to building a AWD bit….*ponders* Now that would be interesting 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

brendan
      Participant

an AWD bit would be hard, but it could be done some how

trash
      Participant

actually, I saw a clone bit 4WD in hong kong.
      Sadly it was on my first day, and I didn’t stop to look at it in detail. Off course when I returned to the same place the next day to get one they were nowhere to be seen. DOH !!!
      The chassis was raised and they were in their plastic bubbles but I can’t trust my memory as to where the gears were. I’d like to think that I remeber gears on both front and rear wheels, but
      when you’re on malaria drugs, your dreams and reality become a little mixed up.
      Without photos or one in my hands, I can’t even be sure that I actually even saw them for real ?
      🙁

Impreza
      Participant

I wonder if you could adopt the kind of steering that they have on the Wild. Quite a few clones that I have seen lately seem to have this kind of steering in place. Although I have only seen them in the box (Saving up for the Lambo set:), it looks like they have a rigid front end with no knuckles. One of them even had a trigger controller and buttons for special moves(?).

Been away for a bit lately, changing careers can eat up all your fun time:) Will try to pop by from time to time until everything is sorted out.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Good to see you back Imprez, been a while.:)
      :)uA

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      And here I was thinking you’d knocked up some mini CV joints and were on the way to building a AWD bit….*ponders* Now that would be interesting 😉

A.

I actually did that, I designed a 4WD pan chassis, with silicon cv joints, 4 wheel suspension, 4wd, using front knuckles drilled out with brass bushings and sway bars front and rear.

I made one CV joint and it worke a treat.

Time and CBFness seems to kill these small dreams of mine.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.