Furlani Track completed – pics

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      DaveF
      Participant

My Signature should have a link to the pictures of the completed track. Kids loved it for Xmas. We had a lot of fun racing on it over the break.

If the sig link doesn’t work, try http://community.webshots.com/album/58669595eliwuK

Aaron has also just received some video of a time trial done/qualifing run doneon it, which he said he’ll put up on this site soonish. Stay posted.

Admin
      Participant

And I’ve got it online right now!

There’s a link to the video in the Gallery section or simply Click Here to have itstream now.

DaveF
      Participant

Thanks Aaron. I just noticed you had added it. Thanks for the link (and the comments). shucks.

Admin
      Participant

i will start downloading straight away, welcome back to the forum people = )

Impreza
      Participant

Dave, nice work.. Just one thing who was doing the nice driving? You or your kids:)

DaveF
      Participant

That’s me driving, and me shooting the film at the same time. Mostly the camera is on a tripod, but there’s a few shots there where I’m panning and driving, thus, the cars isn’t turning.

I’ve got plans to do another, probably in the next few weeks, once the kids have their driving skills up to speed, and the competition is a bit tighter. I’ll try and get some good F1 style camerawork happening then too.

Impreza
      Participant

Good job, your editing skills are pretty good as well. What have you thought? about for starting your races?tree, horn etc..??

DaveF
      Participant

I started work on a starters lights tree, but as there are no kits for it, I started reading through old electronics magazines till I found a few things to blend and alter to do the job. I was going to have it beep on GO also. Unfortunately I was close, but no banana. It runs through the lights, but way way too fast. I can’t slow it down enough, even with help from friends who did Electronics at uni. Some fundimental flaw. Back to the drawing board for me.

Impreza
      Participant

I bought myself an early xmas present about a month ago, digital lap counters (2 of them) They have the big flaw of only really working with lane racing:( but they do have a nice count-down feature that beeps you down with lights, 4 red then 1 green, for the start of a race. If you could hook a tree to it, it may do the trick for time-trials on your track. Just a starting point?

Admin
      Participant

were all the free loaders there on Christmas Day dave???

GT-ahh
      Participant

woah! love the track!:smiley2:

Admin
      Participant

gettin it handed to you by the missus there Dave lol

Admin
      Participant

Wicked track Dave. Your in Hobart right? Did u know about the Western Creek Raceway in Sandybay? It’s for 1:24 RC cars and they have a race/meeting every Wednesday 7:30.

I’ve decided to get a Mini-Z as greater speed equals more fun!

DaveF
      Participant

I didn’t know the timer had a set of lights in it. If anyone has one I’d love to see a photo of the insides, or a schematic if someone has that. The starter countdown is a pretty simple circuit in the big scheme of things, I just don’t have the skills I did used to with electronics to build one from scratch.

No freeloaders to the track on Xmas day, but the best mate (who I gave a Gloria to), spent a few hours here over the Xmas break.

Where abouts in Sandy Bay is that RC track/club?? There’s a club and track down at Kingston too, near the sports centre. I must take the kids out to these places one day. When does the Sandy Bay group meet/race?

DaveF
      Participant

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on the track. Along with the kids faces on Xmas day, and the fun I’ve had with it (and them) since, it makes the effort it took to build it seem worthwhile. Also, it’ll help me get inspired to make some more track to go with it. Now that I have all the paints and adhesives, it won’t cost me much to add to it, plus I have all the tools to do it now too. All I need is the space to work.

Admin
      Participant

i wish i had a good digityal camera so i can show my track and my upcoming project

Admin
      Participant

Nice,

I like it alot 🙂

DaveF
      Participant

Thanks Cobra.

Shypo, I thought you were getting one for Xmas, or was that just on the letter you wrote to Santa?

One more photo on the site now too.

Admin
      Participant

check out this site for Western Creek Raceway.

http://www.southcom.com.au/~rcplastics/wcr/

Admin
      Participant

The Kingston track is way to big and bumpy for Char-G’s but it’s great for Mini Z’s. There is also a track out at Berridale but I dont know if it’s concrete or dirt.

Admin
      Participant

where abouts is the track at berriedale ?? I work out that way so icould check it out sometime …

DaveF
      Participant

Might be a listing in the yellowpages, under remote control, or under clubs , or hobbies, perhaps…

Admin
      Participant

I’m not too sure Barrel but I was told that they might have built a BMX track over it. But the guy who told me that is a moron so that might not be true.

Impreza
      Participant

Dave, on the lap counter one red light, one green. They work great but are hard to see from anywhere other then right in fornt of them. Fortunately the beeps can be heard clearly. Haven’t found circuit diagram yet, and don’t have dig cam. May have to do it the old fashion way, with film:( I still think hooking the counter up to a clearly visible tree would be the best mod, but it still doesn’t solve timing a multi-car race. This probably doesn’t get you anywhere, sorry..

Impreza
      Participant

Dave here is a pic from Tomy of the Digital Lap Counter. http://www.tomy.co.jp/bit_charg/products/parts/parts.htm

If I find anything else, I will post. The red and green leds are on the front of the counter.

DaveF
      Participant

I figure the tree would be the best looking, and easiest to see from many angles. It’d either need to be light bulbs (as LEDs have a very narow range of visibility), or LEDs encased somehow with thin white translucent plastic and aluninium foil, so the whole white area ligfhts up. I’m not explaining it well, but It’d need to be more than just LEDs.

DaveF
      Participant

Can anyone record and email me the sound from the starters count on a race game from the playstation or PC, like Gran Turismo, or Colin McRae rally, etc?? Just the 3-5 second count/beeps/countdown. Cheers.

Admin
      Participant

LOL nice idea Dave, i c what i can do

DaveF
      Participant

I figure two tracks on a CD will make a good substitute for starters lights for now. 1 track with a “Start your engines” and a 45 second gap (or crowd sounds) to allow people to sync the time they charge their bits, then a second track that is the countdown from a racing game (5 beeps, last one being different for Go). A few car take off sounds perhaps, then nothing. All you need to start a race then is a stereo with a CD player.

I’ll ship Aaron and Derek the sounds in MP3 format, so people can burn their own to CD, or play the sounds on their PC. If A + D are interrested that is.

DaveF
      Participant

Some new photo’s of the track off the same link in my sig. Still more photo’s to do over the weekend, and a race video this maybe weekend, or next.

Any luck with race start sounds off those PSX or PC motor racing games people?

Admin
      Participant

Hey Dave, when can we have a race on your track, it looks awesome!!

We will be holding races at Western Creek Raceway every week so u should come and check it out.

DaveF
      Participant

I’m contemplating opening it up to the public, as I need to recoup some of the costs in getting the cars here and building the track. I was thinking 50c per person per race, but that may be a really stupid idea. I don’t know if anyone wouldbother to show for that, and if it’s worth the money to do it. On the up side, every 40 racers I could buy a new engine, every 20 racers and I could get the material to start a new part of the track… But, are there enough people who would want to race on it anyway, or enough people that had Bits around to race on it.I’d probably find that after $3.50 I’d never see anyone again. I’m still deliberating.

I’m doing atrial run at work next friday. I’ll keep you informed, and try to get some video highlights.

Admin
      Participant

ok kewl. I’d definatly pay 50c for a race around your track Dave, it’s awesome. Currently we don’t charge at WCR but when we more to another night we might have to charge for club membership so we can pay for power and stuff but it wouldnt be much (about $2-$5 per night) but it’s definatly worth it. Barrell and I raced last night and the current lap record is 38.01 seconds with 2.2 motors.

What you could do is charge 50c per race and then the winner gets his/her money back. What motors do u use on your track Dave?

DaveF
      Participant

Where’s WCR again, what night and what times? I might bring the track along one night and gauge peoples reactions, check the number of Char-G racers, etc.

Best motor that I think would work on the track without constantly bouncing off the rails, or using them to turn would be a 1.6 engine, if you were way skilled. Otherwise 1.0’s, especially for the more technical areas. Mind you, with a boost car you can use a much bigger engine, do the corners on half speed, and use boost in the straights, or to use drift for tighter corners.

Admin
      Participant

WCR is at the Scout Hall in King Steet Sandy Bay. Opposite Woolies, up an alley near the Pizza Shop and it’s from 7:30 til whenever but we are trying to have a seperate night for Bits.

It’d be friggin wicked if u brought the track up Dave as the guys who race 1/24th scale would really like to see it as would I.

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.