game inspired bodies

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      z-beam
      Participant

This week i was lucky enough to find some of the mario kart q-steers in a shop in bowral, they only have mario and yoshi so i got them both. the build quality is great and surprisingly the reception is good to even with all the plastic in the way of the IR beam.

so my wife wasnt impressed at all, shes never seen or played a mario game ever and thinks they look like sh!t.
      but this gave me an idea, the first game we ever played a lot of together was wipeout 2097 on ps1. we both love wipeout, and the design of the craft is amazing. i want to build wipeout q-steer bodies.

because of the tiny chassis it would be easy to hide them in a large lightweight model…

i did a little searching and came up with this:

http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely/bonus-wipeoutpure_gb.html

the bodels look great, but are papercraft and ive never tried doing that. aparently really thin plasticard can be printed right onto so id probably just do that.

im unsure of the scale the models are, but it might be easy to downsize them and make tiny ones…

blurrc
      Participant

This is genious… that is all I can say.

If you get good at making them I will gladly pay you to make me some lol.

I say go for it and the idea of using thin plastic sounds good to me.

z-beam
      Participant

😀

i had a look around more today and saw some very nice examples of these models done on photo paper… im very impressed.

tried doing some rough scetches on 5mm grid paper as well using the q-steer chassis as a template to go over. the trick will be making the wipeout craft as small as possible while allowing the wheels to turn and move normally and the ****pit would be great if it aligned with the IR receiver.

toyed around with rediculous ideas of how to get control surfaces/flaps to move when steeing is activated. lights would also be sweet.

blurrc
      Participant

Any mor info on this project?

What if you cut the parts of the body that cover the wheels out and stick them onto the rim itself. That way when going foward the body would look nice and smooth and then when turning parts of the body would stick out.

z-beam
      Participant

thats an interesting idea!

i had a go printing up the designs on plasticard but the ink didnt take. i will try to take them to a proffessional print shop to see if a laser printer works better.

or i can just glue photo paper to the plasticard sheet.

choro-q deck system was released last week in australia and i grabbed 3 of the nicer shaped ones. they are pretty futuristic looking, but not as nice as a wipeout ship. ill be able to use the bodies on a q-steer with a little modding and some paint 🙂

blurrc
      Participant

post some pics of the new choro-q bodies when you get them.

as well as pics of any progress made on the wipeout bodies.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.