getting an iwaver and holden

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      hak_hawk
      Participant

hi there, im troy and im getting my first iwaver 01 in a couple days. can you guys sum up the best parts for me to get. for now im only gonna drive around the house n that. im going to do up some 1/24 holden bodies that i found on these two sites:

http://www.jaymarmodels.com.au
      http://www.scaleautomobilia.com.au

there are also ford and valiant models too.

are there any clubs near moe / newborough in victoria?

z-beam
      Participant

troy, dont spend to much on the resin kits, and forget about die cast. plastic is your best bet and you will be extremely lucky to find a kit that will fit the iwaver without some chopping.

click on this link to see a thread i started detailing the processes i went through to convert a 1970 chevy camaro 1/24th scale kit to fit one of my mini-z’s

http://www.ausmicro.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2746&FORUM_ID=12&CAT_ID=4&Topic_Title=camaro+mini%2Dz+project%2E+COMPLETED%2E&Forum_Title=Mini%2DZ%2C+Mini%2DX%2C+X%2DMods+%2D+Discussion

hak_hawk
      Participant

thanks for the heads up, im only gonna get the resin kits. i wont be paying more than $30 each for the resin kits excl. postage. im gonna get a few diff bodies, some for show, couple for racing. and probably evenually one of each holden for actual modelsand maybe the xy falcon. im not gonna go near diecast, too heavy. the ones im looking at are from the jaymar site, they are 1/24. i should only need to make a custom length h bar, body mounts, and not sure how wheelbase will go.

z-beam
      Participant

custom h-plates are the go, i wanted to shorten the camaro so i opted for the chop.

i suggest getting one of the resin kits first and doing that up before you purchase any more, in my experience resin is quite brittle. but as far as detaial goes its the best material for making models with.

as fatr as parts go, get some bearings and wheelnuts from ausmicro (Aaron) and then some nice wide alloy rims and a ball differential.

Priest
      Participant

believe me i have had one of them resin kits the VK commodore and well lets just say it didnt survive the first flip it shattered into 5 pieces granted they are nicely detailed static models but thats all they are you can try it though its definately not worth blowing 30bucks for 40second of fun.

hak_hawk
      Participant

yeh, im gonna get a few different ones for show, and put light mods n such in them, then have something else for racing and fun. i found i can get some of that color change paint for cheap, so im thinking of doing a hk monaro as a show car in green to purple paint. the iwaver im getting is just a skyline body, so i will thrash that.

edit: oh, and what miniz mr02 parts can i use with the iwaver 01?

Edited by – hak_hawk on 05 December 2004 19:22:14

betty.k
      Participant

all mr01 parts fit in the iw01:8ball:

hak_hawk
      Participant

yeh, i know that, but what about the mr02 parts? or even just the mr02 wheels, will they fit the iwaver 01?

dgs73
      Participant

only the motor, pinions and some bodies (wide with the blue chassis mr-02, narrow with the red chassis ’02), but everything else is model specific… even the wheels in most cases will not fit due to the front of the ’02 being wider than ’01… so offsets are different…

hak_hawk
      Participant

so, with the wheels, is it just the body that would stop the wheels from fitting or is the mounting setup different in size? because i found some nice alloy wheels that i would like on my iwaver, but they are mr02. i have seen on ebay, some wheels that say they will fit both?

dgs73
      Participant

never believe all you read on Ebay… i learnt that way too, back in the day when i was new to this hobby. the chassis of ’02 is wider without wheels due to the coil-over suspension than the 01. Best to test with plastics wheels of differing sizes and then go from there. If you’re just house cruizing, you dont need alloy. Bling factor is nice, but you cant justify the cost of alloys as a stage 1 mod… especially if it’s not going outdoors yet. Add to that the whole narrow and wide body set-ups, and things get a tad confusing. So; what you need; any wide 01 (Supra, GTR race spec, AMG Merc., etc.)= wide rear no offset, narrow front, 2.5mm offset. All narrow bodies have narrow all round (8.5mm) no offset. Ones like WRX rally version have narrow all round with an extra 1mm of offset. Porsche (the PlusE), and a couple of others have narrow front and wide rear, all with no offset. This particular setup carries over to the 02 chassis, in most cases. (rear mount that is, not sure about high mount.) without wheels on, the ’02 chassis is wider at front than 01, hance all the offset business. Hope this long-winded description helps some…:D:smiley2:

hak_hawk
      Participant

ok, its just bling for now, i might get out the backyard too. hmm dogs could be a worry tho. and i have tennis courts and lawnbowls just down the street, but remove the body factor, and wide chassis factor, is it physically possible to put mr02 wheels on an iwaver 01? the mr02 wheels im looking at are 8.5mm front, 11mm rear, and all the mr01 wheels are the same??

compare:
      mr02 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5938926727&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
      mr01 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5921590447&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
      mr01/mr02 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5925452871&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

dgs73
      Participant

02 tend to have no offset on front, so on 01 chassis the rear width would be the usual wide setup, but it would make your front wheels sit inside the wheel arch quite a bit. I could make this easier for both of us; what type of body do you have/are you planning to get? After looking at your 3 links, its kinda hard to tell. The widths are there, but the offset can be dicey. It does’nt mention an offset, just specifies which chassis they will fit on. Those details would not be enough for me to make a purchase decision:blush:

hak_hawk
      Participant

well, the iwaver im getting is just a nissan skyline. but, im doing up a resin hk monaro from http://www.jaymarmodels.com.au/

im painting it in the color switch paint, green to purple, and want to put the 5 spoke mr02 wheels on from first link in last post. if its gonna be too much hassle, can you tell me if its possible to take off the blue in the last link.

dgs73
      Participant

when you say take off the blue, do you mean stipping back the anodising? possible, but not fun… they look to be your best bet though. appear to be wide all round, which is better suited if you want a wide body running. Why 02 wheels, btw? The thing is, one type is made for one chassis, the other for the other. No easy way to mix ‘n match… Best bet; get wide 01 wheels (you’ll find the style you want alot easier (and much cheaper!!)), that way there can be no issues. As for your other question concerning 02 parts, same situation. Just get 01 parts. 02 parts are not an upgrade on 01 parts, they are made for the 02 chassis, and hence fitting on an 01 would be difficult/impossible. Looks like you’re after a full scale effect. If this is the case, and your doing a 1/24 scale conversion, make a new h-plate. Makes the wheels sit evenly in their archs…

hak_hawk
      Participant

ok, thanks for your help, i wanted the 02 wheels coz i liked that style the most. yeh, i mean take off the blue anodising. doesnt matter, where can i find a good range of alloy 01 wheels that i can get to aus for cheap?and, yeh, im going to do a custom h plate for the hk, prolly just aluminium, coz i wont race that body.

dgs73
      Participant

mate i can suggest two methods; drop in to your local anodiser (teehee…), where they can strip back and do a colour you like (there are much more anodising colours available than what is offered…), or polish the face of the rims back by hand, (does’nt take long), leaving the blue on the inside (and frankly, impossible to hit if doing by hand), which give a cool (and unique!!) two tone finish. (My Supra has a similar look on the black Eagle rims, but i only did the edge of the rim itself.) Try Dinball or r/c mart for cheaper alloys, or BITHED for the pricier (and sooo detailed!) Square, Squat and Eagle rims. Top dollar item, but the detail is more scale too. Add the fact that Square make inch-up wheels (diam. is two mm bigger = more speed), which really are the top s**t in my opinion.

hak_hawk
      Participant

sweet, so i just pm BITHED about rims he has, or does he have a site? whats the go. i might get some cheap rims from dinball along with some other stuff, then get some nice rims off BITHED later on.

dgs73
      Participant

he has a site, just go to any of his posts and there will be a link to his web site… give him a hoy and tell him i sent you…:D:smiley2: he does’nt stock rims (as a norm), but he does have access to any little Z related thing you could care to mention. And afew you might mot have even seen. Drop him a PM or click the link in his posts.:approve:

hak_hawk
      Participant

ok, thanks for all the help, hey, do you know of any clubs or other members in the newborough/moe area here in vic? i will post some pics when i get my iwaver and do some mods.

dgs73
      Participant

the only gathering I know of down your way is at Tepmlestow (sp.) raceway… and that might not be close at all (i’m in Sydney.)

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.