gold flake paintjobs

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion gold flake paintjobs

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

The GTR came my way painted, but have done similar myself.

First attempt was this Altezza where I wanted the “champagne” colour like on the real thing – its gold flake on silver.

Used Pactra s Gold Flake (its gold flakes in a clear lacquer) then backed with PS12 Tamiya Silver on the lexan bit.

Having it 2-part was good as I could do the same for the mirrors (ABS plastic) which are painted externally.

Lexus_IS200.jpg

However… the flakes are pretty chunky and mirrors aren t perfectly smooth even after several clearcoats on top. Also the Pactra bottle paints have a very thick lacquer which dried too fast in the airbrush, so they created a cobweb . 😯

So for the next attempt on this B4 Subaru, used Parma Fascolor. ABC makes some very nice shells.

Did the 2-step using FasChange Gold backed with FasPearl Charcoal… but that turned out WAAAAY TOO GOLD!! :dead: Didn t look too bad except I was trying to match the 1:1 shade… luckily Fascolor can be washed off with warm water. :smiley16:

Then tried FasPearl Gold MIXED into the FasPearl Charcoal… ahh, just nice!

Charles%20B4%2012.jpg

The gold bits float into the dark and aren t really visible until one looks closely – just like the 1:1. Charcoal is better than solid black too as the detailing (black) can stand out.

z-beam
      Participant

thanx panda! those paint jobs are real nice i especially like the chamagne one…

so the gold flake is a bit textured is it? and how expensive where they?

Edited by – z-beam on 21 November 2004 13:15:06

betty.k
      Participant

i like the charcoal one, reminds me of those way laquered black street rods. “is it black or is it silver?”:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      so the gold flake is a bit textured is it? and how expensive where they?

Could be the lacquer around the bits got a bit too gluggy… :p

Pactra 2″ bottles are about $10. Have tried a few other colours and also get the ‘cobweb’ problem, probably my brush is running too high pressure or air volume. (Tamiya SprayWork keeps the air flowing constantly & no pressure adjustment/regulation.)

Pactra is a turps/oil lacquer and it stinks. They were the first available in the fancy colours… but then Fascolor came along.

merc-blue
      Participant

how are thoughs rear body mounts on the B4 done?
      they look different

also is that the tamiya legacy B4 .. how does it run there meant to be a total beast ontrack. meant to be the next mazda 6 (for thoughs who arent racers bassicaly every top mod racer races with the same few bodys mazda 6 (probly most popular) alfa 2 or a vectra also the nemesis (all made by protoform))

betty.k
      Participant
      Quote:
      they look different

looks like velcro, i noticed that too:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      they look different

yea, they’re DIY 🙂

Velcro dots perched on little discs of plastic about 10c coin size,
      hotglued to the stubs of the bodyposts.

The shell doesn’t come with holes so we didn’t cut any.
      Its only for shelf display, friend ain’t running that.

Quote:
      also is that the tamiya legacy B4 .. how does it run there meant to be a total beast ontrack.

nah that’s the ABC Hobbies’ original B4.

The Tamiya B4 Legacy (Jap model) is called Liberty GT here.
      Tamiya shell is a “race” blob without any pretty details.

Impreza
      Participant

Nice work Panda:) I saw this online and thought it was a good start at a paint tutorial, what do you think? As you are the resident paint expert..

http://www.tinyimports.com/Tutorials/Painting/paint_tutorial.htm

(I usually use primer and no wax)

betty.k
      Participant

he must be, he uses an airbrush!:D:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Nice work Panda:) I saw this online and thought it was a good start at a paint tutorial, what do you think? As you are the resident paint expert..

http://www.tinyimports.com/Tutorials/Painting/paint_tutorial.htm

(I usually use primer and no wax)

That’s for ABS shells only though. That’s what 1/24th static kits are, also “hardshell” old Tamiyas.

Yeah, depending on what kind of finish you’re after, you might give it a polish or even a quick wet-n-dry with 3000 grit.

Painting lexan is all reversed – painted from the back.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.