got me one of those ufo thingies!

Home Forums Floating & Flying – Discussion got me one of those ufo thingies!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

had me one of them birthdays recently and a couple of friends, knowing i liked toys, gave me an rc ufo!cake.gifapprove.gif

it’s something i wouldn’t have normally bought myself but now i’ve got it i can’t stop using it! it has 5 steps of propo and fully charged it can climb fairly quickly, say 1 metre per second. when i got it it was a dead still night so i took it outside and could get it to maintain a nice hover at about 20 – 25 metres. i could hear my neighbours come outside to look!big.gifit has 2 led’s, 1 red that comes on with the motor and 1 that cascades from red – blue – green! so in flight, in the dark it looks amazing! sounds like a cross between a heli and a ufo too!tongue.gif

it’s pretty durable too, i’ve had it drop from 15 metres onto concrete and banged into everything in the garden and so far the only damage is cosmetic!

under the hood is a motor same size as a mini z servo motor and it’s powered by a 6v 120mah nimh pack (5x 1/3 aaa’s). it comes with a launch pad that doubles as a mobile charger (needs 8 x c cells!) and also a plug pack for indoor charging. there’s a little 6v regulator included that is required for charging, which ever method you choose. with the included charger, it takes around 15 minutes to charge and runtime is a little over 5 minutes. i’m getting slightly better runtimes and performance using my swallow charger but not by much.

so far only mods done is better tx aerial and i unwrapped the rx aerial. i’m thinking a couple of lipo will liventhis thing up! more voltage + less weight = tongue.gif

so if you see a cheap one or can fit one in your next hong kong order then you’ll be happy you got one, trust me!8ball.gif

betty.k
      Participant

here she is in action (sorry ’bout the phone pics)8ball.gif

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah i had one of these a while ago burnt out the motor pretty quick coudnt be assed replacing it so it hit the bin

demonajy
      Participant

Yeah they are good fun…. The new generation ones look even more fun and directionaly controllable too.

http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archives/20050720-silverlit_xufo_rc_flying_toy.php

betty.k
      Participant

i made a short vid

http://home.iprimus.com.au/cjleary/ufo.wmv

the central heating was on so it got blown around too much but you get the idea8ball.gif

peteWah
      Participant

I love the music track that you put to that mate :smiley2:

merc-blue
      Participant

what song its it betty? i aslo quite enjoyed it

z-beam
      Participant

looks like fun betty!

Viper_14
      Participant

Really fun i love it

betty.k
      Participant

music is ‘cha cha intro’ by honeysmack. taken from the ‘rock’ album8ball.gif

trash
      Participant

hehe … been a while since I played with mine. I used to have a lot of fun scareing neighbours in a block of flats next door. Fly it up to their balcony, and turn it off when they cam out to look.

But now I have got to get me a directionally contoled one !

oh hangon … it’s one of those 4 prop units. Nar…. I was thinking of a single prop with a kicker.

Gyroscopic forces react at 90 degrees to their inputs. Pitching the prop in relation to the earth’s magnetic field is another way of steering them. I think a larger version would make an excellemt military serveilence aircraft.

Edited by – trash on 18 August 2005 20:04:35

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.