Great new mod idea!!!

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

After checking out the “gear shift” internals of the Wild Char-g, i have decided that it might not be too hard to make a 2 speed gearbox in a bit with a stretched chassis and AFX slot car rear axle.

I am going to attempt this with a 12:1 and a 8.25:1 gearset, anyone suggest a good motor for this baby? its gonna be dual celled, but not fet modded, because i want controllability, but me being a speed nut this will probably change…

I think i will replace the tactile switch with a lever switch to simulate a gear shift.

Thoughts??? Ideas???

Participant

sounds interesting, you mean a gear change as opposed to a voltage boost yeah? love to see that, you could use the lxx 4 ch pcb perhaps so you can shift up, down with the boost buttons
      also, could you point me in the direction of some pics of the inner workings of a wild cg? i’ve never seen one yet:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 01 March 2004 16:38:15

Participant

The wild char-g has a gear shifter inside which changes the ratios of the 2 rear wheels to change speed, i’d love a REAL 2 speed bit so i could wheelspin in all gears 🙂

This week i am too busy but i have a bit ready to hack, and a piece of fibreglass for a pan chassis.

Question: I was thinking either a dual cell or a single cell FET car, do these have around the same power, because i want to keep weight down.

I may aswell buy an AFX slotcar and use the wheels and drivetrain…and perhaps the body.

Participant

i’d cut to the chase and go a dual cell with fets. if you can track down some 1/4 AAA nimh batts like the ones found in enertecs or digi q cars. they’re small and light, great for projects like this:8ball:

Participant

Ahhh but i don’t want too much power i want a great handling car……..hmmmm 2 speed monster truck trent????

Participant

How would a single cell FET modded PCB with a 4.2 motor go???

Participant

fast, but not lots of torque. that’s why i suggest the dual with fets. if it’s too fast use a slower motor. i’m certainly interested in a genuine 2 speed offroader, shift into first for the climbs and top gear on flat/downhill runs. i’m excited!!:p:8ball:

Participant

Yeah i cant wait either, its gonna be fully schick mate, but if you wanted to adapt the drivetrain to a monster it’s bye bye rear suspension.

Dual FET and a 1.6 motor should be quick to begin with, then i will upgrade. I just cant wait to get onto the track and use those gears!!!

Not sure about ratios though, i have some kitt racer gears and toyworld sells ’em pretty darned cheap. I think 8.25:1 and 4.57:1 would be o.k. ratios…all depends on the ratio of the afx axle.

Participant

i’m looking forward to hearing more about this!

Participant

Nobody else seems to care!

Participant

I do, keep up the good ideas:approve:

Participant

hmmm no clutch, so its gonna be a ‘bang in’ gearbox

Participant

bang it in then, lets hear about how it goes!!!

Participant

yeh shounds good.. ive been working of a AWD bit.. i thing i may hit 30 years old b4 i finish this..

Participant

I was working on an AWD bit with 4 wheel independent spring suspension, it worked on paper, and the ‘cv’ joints worked great, but i never got much further than that.

Participant

yeh mines not that fantastice but its quad motor and wont fit ne body it works alrite pics aren coming till its good.. the frount looks soo sillycasue the stering looks all upside down

Participant

you guys are mad………ilove it
      im new to this (brain washed by betty.k)and you guys are blowing my mind
      keep it up its all good

Participant

welcome 2 the forums… good 2 see some fresh blood….

Participant

more like fresh meat!!:smiley2::8ball:

Participant

No signs of Avian flu though I hope. :smiley2:
      Welcome to the friendliest micro rc board around Chook.
      :)uA

Participant

oh shhhhh… betty.. u know wat i meant.. 2 much physics n chem home work 2 worry about that sorta stuff

Participant

jamie, i run a 4.2 on single FETs and theres PLENTY of torque.
      i run it on thick shaggy carpet no hassles. im even using high-speed gears and im getting loads of torque.

Participant

hmmmm, finding time for these mods is hard, can anybody point me in the direction of a ZZ SE PCB TX/RX?

Participant

jamie check this out, a three speed bit. you might need bablefish to translate:

http://www.age.jp/%7Eex2/bit/04_custom.html

Participant

nice, but i am actually looking into a 3 speed SHIFTING transmission.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.