Great Source for Decals!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

At one of our frequent trips to the craft store, I stumbled across a great source for dry-transfer decals: pine car accessories. Those of you who may have been in Cub Scouts may remember them better as Pinewood Derby cars.

Anyhow, they had a ton of decals, and a lot of them were on the right scale for Bit Char-G cars. I’m busy pin-striping my purple bB with them right now. Even better–this company has a website, if you can’t find them in the craft store: http://www.pinecar.com.

Admin
      Participant

Fantastic! What sheet did you buy (ref http://www.pinecar.com/items.cfm?ItemSubCatID=6#)? Can you give me an example of one of the logos and it’s measurements(eg P317 – NASCAR in centre – x.xx” x x.xx”)? Much appreciated!

I’m guessing these “Pinewood Derby Cars” are a bit of an American childhood tradition? Never heard of them down here. Not having much luck finding an online shop that would ship these things to Oz, either.

If one of you US-based guys are ordering, and don’t mind me “piggybacking” some stuff with your order (posted by you to Australia), please drop me an email. Aranging an international money order or bank draft in USDfor $10-$15 is prolly going to be relatively expensive, so I could perhaps do a contra with you with items from down here? Just let me know….

Thanks (and well-spotted, ZeroBXU!)

Derek

Admin
      Participant

I picked up P307 Stripes & Flames. For reference, the “M” shaped pinstripe, below the flags on the pictured sheet (that looks gold, but is actually white), is right about 2.5 cm across. The perfect width, but just ahair long to fit on the hood of a Toyota bB. Fortunately, all the other Bit Char-G cars seem to have longer hoods than the bB.

And the white stripes look really, really good on the purple bB. I’m still unable to hook my camera to the computer, but once I do, you’ll get the idea. :smiley4:

I’ve been taking pictures of the bB shell from its start as a clear body, to its finish with clearcoat. Once the camera issue is resolved, I’ll be posting an article on The Admiral’s Lair.

Admin
      Participant

If your in the US you could try these ppl

http://www.jaysraceplace.com/decals.htm

Or in the UK

http://www.professormotor.com/pmdecals.html

Admin
      Participant

ZeroBXU

Thanks for the measurements, mate. Using that as a visual scale, they certainly look like the stuff I’m after. W00T!

Now I just gotta find someone that will sell ’em to me :smiley2:

Derek

Admin
      Participant

>Now I just gotta find someone that will sell ’em to me smiley2.gif

…that can be arranged. I’ll try to catch you on your MSN Messenger, Derek. I’m sure we can work out a trade.

Admin
      Participant

For further size reference, here’s my purple bB, from the galleries of The Admiral’s Lair.

Admin
      Participant

DROOOOOOOOL!

Zero – I personally don’t care for many of the mods that I’ve seen (I just stay quiet), but that is sweet! I’m not a big purple car fan, but it looks good and those stripes are great. Makes it look a little meaner than if it was just a purple car.

Admin
      Participant

Yeah. It’s too bad my lousy, cheap, so-and-so camera won’t focus so good. Or I had better lighting. Or (insert excuse here). Anyways, I used a purple metal-fleck paint on the clear body. It looks great, but it also emphasizes the importance of using primer before doingpaint work like this–which I didn’t(d’oh!). If you remove the body and hold it up to the light, you can see through it pretty well. Fortunately, this isn’t evident when it’s attached to the chassis.

I also gave it the yellow headlights/foglights and gold trim/rollbars for the “street” look.

Thanks for the kudos, ylexot!

Admin
      Participant

Yeah, I noticed the yellow headlights and thought the bars looked different, but couldn’t quite tell. Must be that lighting thing :smiley2:

Admin
      Participant

…or lack thereof. :smiley13:

Admin
      Participant

Agree with above.

That is a F A T ride man!

-Floyd

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.